H-21 in 1/48th best kit?

Forum Mates,

lookng for some some opinions on which 1/48th kit you like or have experience with for the Piasecki H-21 in 1/48th scale?

I recently purchased some aftermarket decals by Caracal for this helicopter and I am looking at the greed-bay to pick one up.

Thanks for any help...

Gunny Dan

Gunny,

There is only really two plastic choices, Italeri and Special Hobby. In the box SH gives you more detail with PE parts but I think it will make it a more difficult to build. That is not to say Italeri is a shake and bake kit either. With SH, think limited run kits when compared to other manufacturers. Italeri is rereleasing their kit so it will be easier to find. Cannot help with which is more accurate, I am sure faults can be found on both but options are limited and no real aftermarket available. 

Definitely the Italeri kit. It’s all styrene with an etched metal fret. The surface is a slightly pebbled but easily fixed with some fine grit sandpaper. The Special Hobby kit will require more work with both resin and cast metal parts. There are also shape issues with the fuselage. As mentioned, it builds like a limited run kit. Great decals though. The Fonderie Miniatures kit falls into the “quest” category. You get styrene, etched metal, cast metal, and clear vacuformed parts. I tried really hard to build it  when it was the only kit available but couldn’t finish it. Good luck!

Mig

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you Tank and Rob!!

I think I will go with the Italeri.  If they are really reissuing I may wait instead of the $50-80 bucks they get on the greed bay.

r/Gunny

• 1 month later...

I have all three kits (Fonderie, Special Hobby, Italieri) and all three differ quite a bit in shape. I don't have accurate drawings of measurements to hand so I don't know which is the most accurate though... I do like the cast metal rotor bosses of the Fonderie kit though 🙂

I think Belcher bits makes resin correction wooden and metal rotor blades.

J

On 2/12/2021 at 4:17 PM, JeffreyK said:

I have all three kits (Fonderie, Special Hobby, Italieri) and all three differ quite a bit in shape. I don't have accurate drawings of measurements to hand so I don't know which is the most accurate though... I do like the cast metal rotor bosses of the Fonderie kit though 🙂

I think Belcher bits makes resin correction wooden and metal rotor blades.

J

Thanks J. I’m leaning towards the Fonderie and the italeri.