Tamiya 1/48 Ilyushin IL2 Shturmovik Build

All,

I have written that I was planning to start the subject model kit at some point soon, and I have.  I've gotten to the point of closing up the fuselage, after completing the cockpit, using the Quinta Studios set for this kit.  I have raved in the past about the Tamiya 1/48 P-47 kits, and the new P-38F/G/H kits, which EVERY modeler has, but THIS one is their equal in terms of fit and ease of build!  It's a subject that perhaps many of you would not consider as it's a bit off the beaten path, but let me say that it is the kind of kit that you almost literally breathe on it, and the parts fall together.  I know the surface detail, particularly on the fuselage, is very limited, and literally non-existent on the fuselage bottom, but that could be addressed with some scribing and rivet placing, but insofar as fit and ease of build...this is a huge winner.  So, in case any of you are looking for an easy, nerve-calming build, try this one, and still end up with a beautiful airplane!! 

15 hours ago, Curt B said:

I know the surface detail, particularly on the fuselage, is very limited, and literally non-existent on the fuselage bottom, but that could be addressed with some scribing and rivet placing

Go easy with that - the kit probably represents those aircraft having a laminated wood rear fuselage, in which case, no panel lines. Or rivets. Maybe another, lesser kit manufacturer would neglect such details, but if Tamiya doesn't show panel lines, then it's a safe bet no panel lines existed.

John

Edited by John Thompson

John,

Excellent point.  I have a few references which I've not studied with respect to this aspect of the plane, and I certainly will, before doing any scribing.  Thanks again!

All,

I have a question regarding my IL-2 build.  It's not like it's common knowledge (at least to me) what Soviet era bombs were textured like, and what colors they were.  For example, the bombs carried on US aircraft are, as I recall, fairly heavily textured, and were olive drab in color (for the most part).  The bombs in the kit are, as you would expect, smooth plastic, and the Tamiya instructions say that they should be painted semi-gloss black.  I guess it's possible that Soviet bombs could have been smooth and black, but I have a gut feel that this is probably not the case.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?