Question about SBD Dauntless bomb loading ...

So i'm building the Accurate Miniatures SBD-2, representing a Midway plane.  The weapon load was a single 500 lb bomb.

The AM kit provides a 1000 lb bomb, so I got an Eduard aftermarket bomb to replace the kit bomb.  Of course the 500 lb bomb is smaller than the 1000 lb bomb.  That creates a gap between the bomb crutch and the bomb itself.  In real life, does the arms of the bomb crutch move closer to the bomb?  Or does the bomb get a longer trunnion to reach the bomb crutch arms?

gplWF3w.jpg

I don't know the answer however I ran into my own created situation on my recent AM Helldiver - I choose the resin Attack Squadron 2 x 1000lb AP bombs not having checked how the kits trapeze would matchup.    Turns our those AP resin bombs are more slender than the kits 500lb bombs and, like you, was left to figure out how to close that gap.   I never found a good answer so cheated and used shims - the gap was barely 1mm so I cleverly (?) just ran with that, works for me.  Good luck on finding out!

Not sure how accurate it is, but this picture of one on display in palm Springs just has extension bars to hold the bomb in. i can't seem to find any period pictures with anything other than 1000lbs bomb.

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Douglas_SBD_Dauntless_36176_USN_Palm_Springs_Walkaround/content/bin/images/large/Douglas_SBD5_Dauntless_36176_USN_Palm_Springs_Walkaround_19_GrubbyFingers.jpg

Sean