F/A-18D VMFA(AW)-225 question

Happy new year everyone. I wish you all health, joy and many models! I wanted to ask a question about F/A-18D VMFA(AW)-225 jets that operated in the squadron's last operational deployment in Iraq, 2007-2008. It seems that they are no photographs around to show the jets' markings. I have purchased the Model Maker decals sheet 48054

but there is absolutely no timeframe reference in the instructions. From the photos I have seen on the web it seems that the jets carried the same style of markings from 2009 until their retirement in 2019. However no infromation for the 2007-2008 period are available. I am pretty sure that they would have had the very same markings expect the blue ribbon on the top of the vertical fins. Any information on the ebove will be much appreciated.

F-A-18D-VMFA-225.jpg

In essence, the VMFA-AW225 markings have changed little over the years, except CO's bird. I checked the photos I have of this unit from 2007/08 and they had the blue fin stripe at the time. So the decals are correct also for that timeframe. 

The Bu.no's are more interesting to investigate. Bu.no. 165412 was with the unit from atleast 2011-> , while bu.no. 164898 was with the unit from atleast 2007 -> 

The photos I have are not clear enough to give the names on the canopy rails, so can't help you there. 

Neils

You seem to know a lot about that subject. So I will ask you 3 more questions.

1. Do you have information or photos that the jets carried two JHMCS sensors on the canopy rails?  

2. Do they carried AIM-9X or AIM-9M during combat operations? I beleive that they should have received the X by 2007. 

3. Birdslicers on the nose? 

I'll try to answer your questions, but surely some of those closer to the operational units can add as needed: 

Birdslicers: This seems to be generally installed across the F/A-18D fleet, however some still do not have them even today. Here you need to check your reference photos for the jets in question. With quite some rotation of jets between units this will also be time-dependant as to what extent the unit fleet has a complete or partial fleet with birdslicers. 

AIM-9's:  Generally my impression is that the AIM-9X was used, however the AIM-9M is still in use, and F-16CM's have recently been seen fielding these on ops in the sand box, in a mix with the X. Hence cannot rule out that the -M was or is still in (some) use. 

JHMCS sensors: I don't have details on this, sorry. But adapting the jets for JHMCS implies that the jets needs the sensors required, so if you find or have photos where the pilots carry the JHMCS helmets the sensors are installed. Whether one or two - that you'll have to check what is the requirement for the F/A-18. The F-16 only carries one, not sure about the Hornet. 
On a general note: To make the most of the AIM-9X, the JHMCS is an important element, call it a "package". So I would say that the use of the JHMCS and the AIM-9X is very much linked. 

2006-2007, the Deltas I controlled when in their neck of the woods (near Al Assad) they had M’s from what I recall. GBU-12 and LMAV were also their primary BOOM. 500# JDAM wasn’t really in fashion yet, but I had F-16’s from Bagram “on the wheel” with 2000# JDAM often (along with GBU-12). 

Cheers

Just now, Collin said:

2006-2007, the Deltas I controlled when in their neck of the woods (near Al Assad) they had M’s from what I recall. GBU-12 and LMAV were also their primary BOOM. 500# JDAM wasn’t really in fashion yet, but I had F-16’s from Bagram “on the wheel” with 2000# JDAM often (along with GBU-12). 

Cheers

Awesome! That validates my thoughts on the air-ground ordnance. I thought they carried LMAVs and GBU-12s but now I am sure of it! 

12 minutes ago, Niels said:

I'll try to answer your questions, but surely some of those closer to the operational units can add as needed: 

Birdslicers: This seems to be generally installed across the F/A-18D fleet, however some still do not have them even today. Here you need to check your reference photos for the jets in question. With quite some rotation of jets between units this will also be time-dependant as to what extent the unit fleet has a complete or partial fleet with birdslicers. 

AIM-9's:  Generally my impression is that the AIM-9X was used, however the AIM-9M is still in use, and F-16CM's have recently been seen fielding these on ops in the sand box, in a mix with the X. Hence cannot rule out that the -M was or is still in (some) use. 

JHMCS sensors: I don't have details on this, sorry. But adapting the jets for JHMCS implies that the jets needs the sensors required, so if you find or have photos where the pilots carry the JHMCS helmets the sensors are installed. Whether one or two - that you'll have to check what is the requirement for the F/A-18. The F-16 only carries one, not sure about the Hornet. 
On a general note: To make the most of the AIM-9X, the JHMCS is an important element, call it a "package". So I would say that the use of the JHMCS and the AIM-9X is very much linked. 

Thank you again so much for the information. Carrying the X does not necessarily mean the presence of the JHMCS.  Of course for best employment of the weapon the JHMCS makes the difference. I guess I will go for a build without the sensors and use the Mikes as they are better looking on the model. 

Edited by EagleAviation