Reedoak USAF Pilot Candidate

The amazing Reedoak sculptures are surely the top tier of available figures.  The USN has gotten most of Norbert's attention, but he has suggested that once the pandemic starts to have less impact, he would consider USAF figures  ... after he has accumulated sufficient  research material. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting, and in that regard, suggest something like this:

2-5bd1f1c6700c0-971x1500.jpg

Other detail photos are available at the sculpture's site here.

Thanks, Norbert!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • GeneK changed the title to Reedoak USAF Pilot Candidate

14 hours ago, BillS said:

...  fix the boots, the g suit connector ... .

How would you fix them?

[quote] add the S&W military special  38 revolver. [/quote]

See the right hip attachment. 

Gene K

Olds.jpg

Edited by GeneK

From the photo in the post the side arm doesn't show up. The g-suit connector looks misshapen to my eye and the boots have too many eyelets and kind of thick soles and heel. Just my opinion and personal taste. It’s a really nice rendering

12 hours ago, BillS said:

From the photo in the post the side arm doesn't show up.  ... [Boots and G-suit] Just my opinion and personal taste

Bill,

I provided this link where you could see more.

As for the boots and g-suit - they look right to me based on images here, among other things: :salute:

http://www.airwarrior.org/RobinOlds.htm

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Unfortunately, I can not enter the site, because of some s....d EU regulations... 

The model looks realy great. we reconignize well the PCU-3 harness and the survival vest, the life preserver, etc..and over all, we recognize Robin Olds and his sight.

How is it that the model is not available to modellers so far ?

7 hours ago, norbert said:

How is it that the model is not available to modellers so far ?

Norbert,

Strange that you can't visit the sites I linked, especially this one by sculptor Jim Nance who did the statue of Robin Olds for the Air Warrior Combat Memorial at the US Air Force Academy. 

The Robin Olds figure is not a commercial item for sale (as far as I know), but was used by the artist in making the full sized bronze sculpture.  From the artist's work-flow description, it's a 40 inch clay "maquette* of the figure to work out pose and stance. After the figure has been approved by the client, and any changes made, the full size figure and bust will be sculpted".

Here's the sculptor's contact info from his web page if you want to email himjim@jamesnancesculpture.com . Could be a great collaboration!  :hmmm:

Gene K

a sculptor's small preliminary model or sketch

Edited by GeneK
15 hours ago, GeneK said:

Norbert,

Strange that you can't visit the sites I linked, especially this one by sculptor Jim Nance who did the statue of Robin Olds for the Air Warrior Combat Memorial at the US Air Force Academy. 

As said in the post #2 above, this is what we get when connecting to this site...

Due to recent regulations we do not currently offer our products to European customers.

Edited by AV O

Made some research on google. He did some other great memorial sculptures

60805638_2608690819158589_60471243857964

Even if the MBU-12 O2 mask was not in service at this time...the most important is the memorial

cheers

Norbert

10 hours ago, GeneK said:

Are you able to see this  web page: https://www.jamesnancesculpture.com/figures/ ?

Gene K

Nope, get the same message Due to recent regulations we do not currently offer our products to European customers.

So to know what it is, EU regulation says a website has to say what is done with the collected datas, otherwise you risk some millions penalty and some years of jail. So since about one year, some US based websites block all EU access, in case it applies to them, or because they do not want to say what they do with the collected datas, or do not know what happens with the collected datas (using outsourced services)

Norbert

Found this today on FB. Image and quoted text.

https://imgur.com/XG9qK0E

The Boss Suits Up!
(By A. Villalva)
USAF Colonel Robin Olds(‘The Boss’ of the 8th TFW, Ubon RTAFB) suits up for his final combat mission in SEA, in late Sept 1967.
His standard USAF-issue gun belt rig is clearly visible, and displays the unique Life Support Equipment shop modification of sewing elastic loops to the external circumference of the M-1956 Equipment Belt to retain ammunition for his Smith & Wesson ‘Model 15’ .38 Special Revolver, carried in a USAF GUU-1/P Holster.
This improvised belt ammunition bandoleer held 20 rounds on each belt side, for a total of 40 rounds. Further, the Model 15 revolver was likely also loaded, which added another 6 rounds. The overall gun belt rig was then worn directly over the waist section of his CSU-3/P Anti-G Suit.
COL Olds is donning his SRU-21/P Survival Vest, worn directly over his K-2B Flight Suit. All SRU-21/P vests made up to 1969 used the snap fasteners to secure the closure flaps of most of the twelve vest pockets; later vests used Velcro fasteners.
As typical, COL Olds’ K-2B flight suit is 'sterile', describing an intelligence sanitizing practice conducted by many USAF tactical units flying missions over North Vietnam to remove any identifying unit or aircraft insignia (unit patches, etc.). The only insignia worn on Olds’ K-2B was his Colonel plastic rank devices, sewn onto each upper shoulder area.
The PCU-3/P Torso Harness and the LPU-2/P Life Preserver were then donned over the SRU-21/P Survival Vest.
(Photo: NMUSAF, via A. Villalva)

Imgur having problems accessing pictures the normal way. Will try and update later.

Edited by Craig Baldwin

Thanks, Rob. Looks really good.

I think Norbert would  actually do better, especially in the "other" scales, in particular 1/48. Norbert's figures to me are better proportioned than most, especially regarding fat heads and short legs. :whistle:

Gene K

Yeah, no doubt a Reedoak figure would have finer details than Hobby Fan or the older 1/32 Verlinden offering or even older 54mm metal Squadron Rubin Miniatures. I think the AF Academy missed an opportunity and could have offered a scale version for fund raising efforts.

There is a 1/9 bust but what we really need is a large scale stand alone figure of Col Olds. At least 1/16 or 1/8. It could lead to a famous pilots series...

Rob

22 hours ago, GeneK said:

I think Norbert would  actually do better, . . .

Gene K

There is of course a very simple reason for this. No matter how good a sculptor is, his work in almost all cases still “only” a fictional, a handmade reproduction of something be it a person or an object.

Roberts fantastic figures on the other hand are not sculptures but 3D scans of real people in real flight suits and helmets!

All the creases on the dress, all proportions, every pose, all the fine details are REAL! And they are faithfully reproduced in different scales on his prints.

I envy him for the superb work he is doing!!!

Best regards

Gabor

On 1/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, ya-gabor said:

All the creases on the dress, all proportions, every pose, all the fine details are REAL! And they are faithfully reproduced in different scales on his prints.

Except that Norbert is not a sculptor, he’s a scanner. He wouldn’t be able to do what he’s doing a few years ago just because the machinery he’s relying on didn’t exist. It’s like comparing an painter artist painter and his brushes to an instagrammer with his gopro.

The Hobby Fan figure with its issues has more soul than any figure done digitally. Until they invent a button called ‘human touch’ . 😜

Cheers,

Quang

20 minutes ago, quang said:

The Hobby Fan figure with its issues has more soul than any figure done digitally. Until they invent a button called ‘human touch’ . 😜

If the figure were done by Salvadore Dali, it would also have "human touch", that I'd treasure ... but I wouldn't pose it next to my Phantom model. My hat's off to Norbert for his technical artistry. 

Gene K

56 minutes ago, GeneK said:

If the figure were done by Salvadore Dali, it would also have "human touch", that I'd treasure ... but I wouldn't pose it next to my Phantom model. My hat's off to Norbert for his technical artistry. 

Gene K

Well said.

2 hours ago, quang said:

Except that Norbert is not a sculptor, he’s a scanner. He wouldn’t be able to do what he’s doing a few years ago just because the machinery he’s relying on didn’t exist. It’s like comparing an painter artist painter and his brushes to an instagrammer with his gopro.

Cheers,

Quang

It would be better to make the comparison with painting and photography. Painting is an art, photography need an optical 2D machine but it can also be an art, which is different. Each has his technics, the pose and sight are very important. The story behind also. All need experience and know-how.

I admire what good figure sculptors are doing and I can spend money for their work...and my very first figures were hand sculpted for my own modeller use. It was a very good school and I often use this experience when I need to modify or complete surfaces until I do not see the difference with the scanned parts.

I respect your opinion about "human touch", but will differ to you here, No human touch in photography ?

I hope you will not mind negative, the Hobby-Fan figure is a great rendition of Robin Olds,  you know it's him, and his eye sight is particulary well achieved.

Cheers

Norbert