Paints compatible with Model Master enamels.

With MM paints nearing total extinction, I figure I will need to change paint brands in the near future. But seeing that I still have dozens of good MM paint jars, I'd like to choose a brand whose paints will work well with my MM paints instead of starting from scratch with an entire new paint line.

What are my options?

In that case, different enamels can be used on top of each other as long as the layer underneath is fully cured.  Heck, even lacquers can be used on top of enamels.  For example, some people use lacquer gloss clear top coat prior to decal application without any issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bit the bullet and switched to Gunze Mr. Color.  There are few more specialized colors I didn't buy, and it ended up being close to a $70 order just to cover my most common colors.  You can't mix with MM, but they layer fine as far as I can tell so far with enough drying time. 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, kozlok said:

I just bit the bullet and switched to Gunze Mr. Color.  There are few more specialized colors I didn't buy, and it ended up being close to a $70 order just to cover my most

common colors.  You can't mix with MM, but they layer fine as far as I can tell so far with enough drying time. 

This won't be a helpful answer.

Are there any good enamel lines nowadays?   The collective wisdom/reviews say the 'new' Humbrol is fully bypassable.  White Ensign?   eh, tried them and moved on - were very hard to obtain in the US.  And they took forever (and still weeks later) to cure.

Testors MM is gone.  It had it's time.  But thick-pigments, flat finish, and so slooow to fully cure enamels are a hindrance to better modeling, that's why better came along in the form of synthetic lacquers.  GSI Mr Color is without peer.  Ultra sheer, semi-gloss finish and a metric ton of color choices.   Fast fast fast to dry.   Can actually be brush-painted in small areas (not poss w/ Tamiya)  Get ya their Self-Leveling Thinner for airbrushing and seek a 50/50 ratio.  I count my move from Model Master to Mr Color (via a live demo at the 2010 Nats) as one of the top game changers in my output.   Well I said this would not be a helpful answer