1/48 F-15EX upgrades for our E's?

• 5 months later...

The newer Academy F-15E's are probably the best starting point. They have all the F-15E parts, plus the GE Engines and 6 different instrument panels, so you can have spares if you're scratchbuilding new ones. The tail parts and the triangular sensors under the cockpit are the big "missing" parts. Most older F-15 kits come with the outboard pylons, so those shouldn't be hard to find.

1 hour ago, RedHeadKevin said:

The newer Academy F-15E's are probably the best starting point. They have all the F-15E parts, plus the GE Engines and 6 different instrument panels, so you can have spares if you're scratchbuilding new ones. The tail parts and the triangular sensors under the cockpit are the big "missing" parts. Most older F-15 kits come with the outboard pylons, so those shouldn't be hard to find.

You also need the MAWS sensors on either sides of the cockpit, the tail booms, new coamings for the pilot and WSO, the GPS antenna aft of the airbreak... 

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Academy launched new F-15E in 1/48?

F-15K Slam Eagle R.O.K Air Force

F-15E Strike Eagle "Operation IRAQI FREEDOM"

F-15I Ra'am

All of these are highly upgraded basic Academy kit. They are from 2009/2010 so not newest 🙂

2 minutes ago, mirage3 said:

F-15K Slam Eagle R.O.K Air Force

F-15E Strike Eagle "Operation IRAQI FREEDOM"

F-15I Ra'am

All of these are highly upgraded basic Academy kit. They are from 2009/2010 so not newest 🙂

And not the best either, GWH and Revell are quite a lot better IMHO

4 hours ago, arnobiz said:

You also need the MAWS sensors on either sides of the cockpit, the tail booms, new coamings for the pilot and WSO, the GPS antenna aft of the airbreak... 

Huh... more than I thought.  I don't suppose anyone makes conversion kits yet?

Just to give you an idea, here are the contents of the SG set. The EX will have most of the same plus the cockpit (IPs and coamings), which is being finalized at the moment.

51120018977_2fc2303890_c.jpg

And a zoom on the MAWS tail boom, arguably the most difficult part to scratch-build 😉

51239609118_409d874244_c.jpg

51240176764_b4d76d967a_c.jpg

51239409576_1506f98d32_c.jpg

Edited by arnobiz
On 6/11/2021 at 6:42 AM, boom175 said:

The Instrument panels are different as well

F-15 IP's.png

Oh wow! Those are VERY different! Like the F-35 size full screens. The photos of the "E" front and rear cockpits are the "Old" ones. The keypad on the WSO far right is now combined with a MPD as well as the same on the Pilot's station just below the HUD. Sorry guys, I do not know the names but we have a Mudhen driver in these forums who has spoke of them and I think* Jake Reid has photos of the new stations in his book. Thanks Craig for the photos!

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
5 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Oh wow! Those are VERY different! Like the F-35 size full screens. The photos of the "E" front and rear cockpits are the "Old" ones. The keypad on the WSO far right is now combined with a MPD as well as the same on the Pilot's station just below the HUD. Sorry guys, I do not know the names but we have a Mudhen driver in these forums who has spoke of them and I think* Jake Reid has photos of the new stations in his book. Thanks Craig for the photos!

Yes they are very different. The EX picture shown here is not 100% reflective of the final layout though. There are none in Jake Reid's book unfortunately, I got help from people in the know to make it accurate (nothing classified of course 😇)

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2021 at 3:38 AM, arnobiz said:

I guess this means we'll soon release a complete conversion set 🙂

51244529478_453852ae15_c.jpg

51244529543_4f07951e71_c.jpg

What about the outboard wing pylons?  Haven't seen them yet on the EX but certainly on the Saudi SE versions which shares come commonality.

13 hours ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

What about the outboard wing pylons?  Haven't seen them yet on the EX but certainly on the Saudi SE versions which shares come commonality.

They are part of the BAM-Models conversion set!  The pylons and the LAU-128’s.  They are excellent and I should have some pictures of my build up showing the outer pylons soon!