ICM - 32nd AH-1G Announced!

ICM will be releasing both early and late versions (a third release will have crew members included).  First two are due in Q2. 

Given the quality of their recent models, these kits should be awesome.   I would also hazard a guess that this would lead to a series of UH-1’s.  If so, this would truly be good times for helo modelers and we won’t have to wonder if KH will ever get around to releasing their Hueys.     

Edited by 11bee
33 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Interesting.  Where did you hear that?  Any drawings or CAD images yet?  I would prefer 1/35 though.

Over on LSP.   Hannants has added these kits to their catalog.   No pics or CAD’s yet.  I’d prefer 35th as well but beggars can’t be choosers I suppose.  Plus, I’m heavily into 32nd aircraft in general so for me it’s not a major issue.  

Hopefully we’ll see good support from the aftermarket folks.   

Hopefully the late G release has the "sugar scoop" exhaust deflector and the external 20mm cannon.   That's the version I really want to build.  Assume that if this sells well, we might see some later version Snakes as well?

5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

To be fair, in this day and age, it should be 1/35.  The fight over whether military helos should be 1/32 or 1/35 seems to be over, given the large number of military helicopters released in 1/35.

I’d prefer 35th but given that all the other models on my display shelf are 32nd, I can live with this.  I do wonder how these companies come to the decision to release kits in non-standard scales (as we just saw with that new outfit releasing 35th scale -109’s and Stukas).  

On 1/10/2021 at 1:21 PM, Dave Williams said:

To be fair, in this day and age, it should be 1/35.  The fight over whether military helos should be 1/32 or 1/35 seems to be over, given the large number of military helicopters released in 1/35.

Dave;

if for no other reason than figures to go along with it alone is enough reason to be thinking 1/35th. Chopper crews don't dress like fighter jocks off a carrier

gary

On 1/10/2021 at 7:02 PM, 11bee said:

I’d prefer 35th but given that all the other models on my display shelf are 32nd, I can live with this.  I do wonder how these companies come to the decision to release kits in non-standard scales (as we just saw with that new outfit releasing 35th scale -109’s and Stukas).  

actually that 1/35 scale 109 has it's merits just as it has it's down side. Armor folks have really gotten the diorama bug over the last few years, and adding a 1/35th scale airframe just kinda gives you new avenues to move in. Myself, I'd have prefered 1/32, but if it's as good as the Tristar Storch, then I'll be looking hard at it. That Storch is way better than the Hasegawa, and it in itself is a pretty good kit. I'd love a 1/35th Lysander

gary

14 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

I just don't see that much difference  between the two. 

The difference is relatively small, sort of.  1/32 is 9.143% larger than 1/35.  You can use the two scales together as long as constant-sized items such as weapons, canteens, ammo pouches, etc. are all the same scale.  I have used 1/35 pilots, soldiers, and gear with 1/32 helicopters in the past.  They look fine together.  If you go the other way though, 1/32 figures with 1/35 helicopters or vehicles, it doesn't work as well since the figures are too big, almost 10% larger.

A couple examples.

1/35 Dragon pilots and Bravo 6 MP with 1/32 Revell Cobra.

IMG_1697.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

1/32 Video Aviation ground crewman with 1/35 Kitty Hawk HH-60G and same 1/35 MP.

IMG_1698.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Some actual humans next to UH-60s for comparison.

180913-Z-MG593-006.JPG

image.jpg

Now, with companies like Reedoak, you can get very finely detailed 1/32 helicopter pilots, crew, and ground crew to fill your 1/32 Cobras with.  So it is not as much of an issue.

The reason I prefer 1/35 helos though is to place them with 1/35 armor and ground troopers.  It just gives you more options to have them in the same scale.

Edited by HeavyArty

Yeah. it's the same with cars in 1/25 or 1/24. And much depends on how accurate to scale the manufacturer made the kit. I realize there is a size difference, especially when using parts in between the scales, I'm just saying for me, I personally don't care which scale they make it in, I'm just happy to see a larger scale kit. More auto aftermarket is available in 1/25 than 1/24 as well, but I generally don't have funds for that anyway and largely build oob.

• 3 weeks later...

ICM has released their 2021 Catalog and inside is a very welcomed confirmation. They have announced what looks to be two, maybe three, new-tooled AH-1G Cobras in 1/32 scale.  Hopefully these will be very nice.

Presentation1

32060 looks to be an early Cobra with the left hand tail rotor. 32061 should be a late model AH-1G with right hand tail rotor. The last one, 32062, could be either, but with pilot figures included.

They have also announced the pilots as a separate set: 1/32 US Helicopter Pilots (Vietnam War) to go with them.

Presentation2

The full catalog can be seen here.

1/32 or 1/35th does it really matter?  I think what matters is it’s a new tooled, new production helicopter model. It’s not another P-51 with different decals or another FW-190. I mean no disrespect to any fixed wing modelers, but as a helicopter Modeler I’m excited for any company willing to get us rotary wing subjects. 

As Gino very skillfully pointed out, 9.143% difference?  Really?  With my old eyes 1/32 or 1/35 I’ll build them either way. 

just my one cent opinion. 

Gy

What Gy said.    

Hope they won’t limit the M35 cannon to just the kit with the flight crew (which I believe is last to be released).  I’m really looking forward to the late version with the sugar scoop (and hopefully M35).  

• 3 weeks later...

ICM has released some pictures.  Looks pretty decent, appears to offer a choice of underwing weapons, open canopies, etc.

Just hoping they also provide the later twin minigun / 40 mm turret.   Only a very few early Cobras had the single weapon turret shown below.   If not, I'll have to wait for the "late" version I guess.

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-4.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-3.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-7.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-1.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-6.jpg

I do understand the conversation between 1/32 and 1/35 scale difference.  The difference becomes really noticeable once you start adding vehicles or figures to your helo dio otherwise both scales work but more i would go with 1/35 as far as i am concerned. Happy to see the Cobra is being released. 

Oliver

On 2/26/2021 at 3:50 PM, 11bee said:

ICM has released some pictures.  Looks pretty decent, appears to offer a choice of underwing weapons, open canopies, etc.

Just hoping they also provide the later twin minigun / 40 mm turret.   Only a very few early Cobras had the single weapon turret shown below.   If not, I'll have to wait for the "late" version I guess.

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-4.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-3.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-7.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-1.jpg

32060_ag-1g_early_r1-kopyya-6.jpg

they very first Cobra is ever saw in January 69 had the single gun up front. It was a 101st ship on an OP I was on with them. Apparently it was still in the learning curve for them as it didn't hover well when firing that cannon up front. Suspect that issue was fixed sooner than later. The paint job was the generic O.D. that most choppers were painted back then. The one thing I got from it was that it flew like a small airplane. Just didn't set still in the air very well.

gary