New 'panel' on right-hand side of pages?

Hi

I've recently noticed a new 'panel' appearing at the right-hand side of topic pages that have higher numbers of replies...

....it's taking up about a third of the width of the page, and compressing both text and photos into a narrower column...

....I don't need any of the 'information' contained in it - how do I get rid of it, and get back to full-width layout of the information that I DO need?

Edited by andyf117
2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Wondering about the same thing.  There's probably an easy way to switch it off as some threads don't have it.  But you're right, it's taking up a whole column, with pretty much empty space below it.

From what I can tell, it kicks in when a topic gets to 50 posts...

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 7:58 PM, andyf117 said:

From what I can tell, it kicks in when a topic gets to 50 posts...

So has anyone figured out how to get rid of this annoyance? Does anyone from HHQ monitor this thread?

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Not really a solution, but just a workaround..  I just click on any photo.  The photo then goes full screen and I just use the left/right arrow to scroll.   The good thing is you can now go through all the photos within the whole page (In the past you can only scroll through photos within the same post).   Still, you can't read the writeup at the same time this way.  So most other times I just zoom in on the screen to enlarge the photos -- along with the font  : (

Also, I used to post nice big photos and I can see they've stayed that way in my old threads (example here)  and photos have not resized.  But I notice that for any new threads, even though you've selected really large photos for posting they will only show up on the screen up to a certain size.    I really envy the large photos on ZoneFive, Britmodeller, Largescaleplanes and such.   Cinematic views are just much more enjoyable.

Edited by crackerjazz
18 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Hi Chris, this thread for example.  But, as andyf117 observed, it happens only when the thread reaches 50 posts (or 50 replies?)

Must only apply to new threads since old ones are evidently grandfathered and not (yet) impacted.  EDIT I now see the panel in well established threads like this, so the panel worm is crawling.. Unfortunately (in this case) it doesn't take long for good threads to reach 50, so all new hot threads will shortly have this annoyance???

How do we bring this to the attention of ARC "regulators" who don't monitor this thread?

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
  • 4 weeks later...

Did some digging on the Invision website and it appears this panel can't be toggled on/off by individual users, but is controlled solely by the Admin.

More about it >>HERE<< on Invision's website.

I also don't like this panel. I don't think it adds anything relevant, and is actually more trouble than it's worth in that it downsizes pics in the thread. The information it gives is only displayed at the top of the page. Once you scroll down a bit, it really only generates empty space, leaving you with smaller pics.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:45 AM, crackerjazz said:

@SBARC Hi Steve, would this be something as simple as turning a feature off or on, and would it be for the whole site?  or maybe for individual threads on request?  Thanks! 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I currently work 3 jobs and a total of 76 hours a week.  So my time to follow the forums is limit.

For mobile devices it will appear under the first post and I doubt I can change that.

I have the ability to almost disable this feature or I can put it under the first post instead of the side bar...which does everyone prefer?

I have adjusted the settings so this feature is mostly disabled for computers and tablets.

Thanks, Steve!  It's back to normal now : )    It's great to see the big pictures again -- makes it so much easier to see the details of the models -- which is what we're after.    It should be ok to put the feature under the first post, but no one seems to be using it (no one has really reacted to keep it) so maybe just keep it disabled for now?  Thanks again! 

Edited by crackerjazz

You're all very welcome.  Tag me in threads you want me to see....I'm working 3 jobs now and going for an interview to add a 4th job to my schedule, so I'm keeping a bit busy and my free time to read the foums is limited.