New F-111 resin Cockpit

18 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

That round scope hood is for the Pave Tack pod so its for an F-111F

No. The original scope had an optional rubber hood to allow it to be used in daylight, preventing sunlight from washing out the image. The PAVE Tack virtual image display (VID) was completely different, rectangular in shape.

BTW, I've reached out to ResKit and provided them with information that will hopefully result in some accurate cockpits!

011220-08_f111f_cockpit__1_.jpg

1 hour ago, mrvark said:

No. The original scope had an optional rubber hood to allow it to be used in daylight, preventing sunlight from washing out the image. The PAVE Tack virtual image display (VID) was completely different, rectangular in shape.

BTW, I've reached out to ResKit and provided them with information that will hopefully result in some accurate cockpits!

Excellent news! Thanks for the update Jim.

I've received a lot of their sets, especially for the Hasy 111's and Italeri B-57's. Some 48th and 35th stuff as well. Just finished the Kittyhawk main and tail rotors for the -60 in 35th.. Beautiful detail, as well as the wheel set. What pleasantly surprised me is the nose wheel tires in 72 and 48 for the 111's. They mold the nose wheel tires with the outside flair which was pretty distinctive on these tires. And their exhausts are what I've wanted since the first Hasy 111 (The FB kit...) was released back in, i believe, '88.   Just wonderful stuff, and not that expensive. I've ordered directly from Reskit and the service is great. Takes time, but that's to be expected.  And Sprue is now stocking these sets. 

Try a set. You won't be disappointed!

DET1460

On 1/8/2021 at 2:40 PM, mrvark said:

I had assumed that the rubber hood is part of it as there is no other F-111 with that scope.

It would seem strange to make a cockpit and guess that it might has looked something like this, unless it is for the F-111C. Ive never seen inside an F-111C though, so I dont know if the scopes were both the same or not.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

Disregard previous post, I grabbed the wrong photo and it won't let me edit the post!

Okay, a quick tutorial on F-111 cockpits. With the exception of the F-111D, the pilot's side of the cockpit was pretty much the same for all variants. The original F-111A/C/E/F and FB had the round Attack Radar Scope (ARS) with the optional rubber hood, shown here.

f-111a_cockpit__usaf_.jpg

Beginning in the early 1990s the F-111Es were modified by the Avionics Modernization Program (AMP). One jet 68-0050 made it to Incirlik AB for the final couple of days of the 1991 Gulf War. This is a restoration, the chromate latticework would be covered operationally.

f-111e_amp_cockpit.jpg.26c6b301bd9f6d72434340fec5ae9912.jpg

Edited by mrvark
Added information

The EF-111As also received the AMP mod. Note that the Optical Sight was removed from the pilot's side. EF-111 & F-111E AMP and F-111F Pacer Strike jets could be easily identified externally by the large GPS antenna located where the FB-111A's Astrotracker was located.

980515-ld18-ef111a_cockpit_ip-r-jim_rotramel.jpg

Edited by mrvark

The F-111D was always unique and was originally intended to be the standard for most F-111s. However, it proved to be a bridge too far for avionics. F-111Ds were parked outside at Fort Worth after they were finished until they could figure out how to make them functional. In the meantime, the USAF combined the F-111D's inlet modification (Triple Plow II) with the F-111A's proven avionics to make the F-111E. You can see the bottom of the dual heads up displays (HUD) in this photo; another unique feature of the F-111D. Unlike the optical display site s (ODS) used by other F-111s, the face of the HUD was covered with a leather pad, not site adjustements.

The pilot could easily see the ARS. At night a filter was placed over the ARS screen to prevent glare on the windscreen (note the small velcro strips on either side of the screen for this purpose). The large circular scope was a moving map display. These were deactivated in the early 1980s. As I recall the instrument was covered with a blanking panel.

000310-07_f111d_cockpit.jpg

Edited by mrvark
added info

The FB-111A was the original AMP recipient of the AMP cockpit. They did not use GPS, figuring that it would be pretty much useless after the nukes started going off. The WSO had a scope that looked kind of like the PAVE Tack VID, but wasn't there was actually a velcro panel the pilot could pull open so he could monitor what the WSO was looking at on the ARS. When some FB-111As were converted to F-111Gs in the early 1990s, the SRAM capability and Astrotracker were deleted. This is an F-111G cockpit.

f-111g_cockpit.jpg

This is the pre-Pacer Strike F-111F cockpit with the he PAVE Tack VID. The is how the jets were configured during Operations Eldorado Canyon and Desert Storm. The VID had two small screens behind a magnifying glass to make them look bigger. This allowed the WSO to see both the ARS and PAVE Tack video simultaneously, switching them back and forth, as desired, between the smaller bottom and the primary screens. The disadvantage of the VID ws that the pilot couldn't see what was going on the WSO's side of the jet. The larger round scope on the pilots side of the cockpit was the E-scope for the terrain following radar (TFR). The one beside it on the WSO's side was the Radar Homing and Warning (RHAW) display.

930500-dm16-f111f_cockpit-ip_wso.jpg

Edited by mrvark
added information