Catalina at Corpus Christi: Red Wheels?

Dear all – after following and reading some of the threads and discussions on this forum for a while I now registered in order to join the conversation – and to ask some experts for advice. 

I just started to build the Revell 1/72 PBY Catalina. While researching the subject I stumbled upon the beautiful Kodachrome photographs of some Catalinas at Corpus Christi, TX in 1942 – taken by photographer Howard Hollem. I really like those photos and would like to follow them during the build. Now – there was especially one photograph that caught my eye; I attached it below (in Lo Res). It shows the wheels of the Catalina being red. Does anyone know, why this is the case? And just as important in terms of building the plane: Does anyone know if the wheel bay must have been red as well? Thanks in advance for your responses and inputs!

e34b4704d666b70030c6a8326a2e9c83.jpg

Edited by Twelve Birds

The picture you have here looks like a Catalina that doesn't have undercarriage. Not all variants of the Catalina could operate from land, and hence is fitted with red temporary beaching gear.

--------------