Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 DELTA AIRLINES

We've had the first glimpses of spring down here in Kent today so I've given the DC-8 a splash of primer:

50966165797_c7a4cdf685_z.jpgDSC_0004 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50966060166_932210a7fa_z.jpgDSC_0002 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50965352488_3a4865b1d2_z.jpgDSC_0006 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There's a few minor blemishes to address, but overall it's come out ok!

If the weather continues to warm, I may be able to start in the main colours...

Tom

Hi Tom,

my father and I are also building this DC-8 and are very gratefull that you share your experience. I have a question about the cockpit, we found that the right side (looking to the fromt) is about 1mm higher than the left, did you find that also?

We found also a problem with the nose landing gear, it is about 10mm to much to the front (it should be at 4.85m from the nose). It is also 4 to 5 mm too short. The DC-8 has a nose down attitude, but not so much as the model.

See for some numbers Airplane characteristics for airport handling.

Regards,

Simon

4 minutes ago, SimonB said:

Hi Tom,

my father and I are also building this DC-8 and are very gratefull that you share your experience. I have a question about the cockpit, we found that the right side (looking to the fromt) is about 1mm higher than the left, did you find that also?

We found also a problem with the nose landing gear, it is about 10mm to much to the front (it should be at 4.85m from the nose). It is also 4 to 5 mm too short. The DC-8 has a nose down attitude, but not so much as the model.

See for some numbers Airplane characteristics for airport handling.

Regards,

Simon

Hello Simon,

I'm glad you are finding the thread useful - overall I've found it to be a nice kit that just needs a little extra tender-loving-care. 

The cockpit is slightly imbalanced on mine too, but I was able to remedy this by sanding the glazing completely smooth and have since made my own masks which I have ensured are completely level. 

The nose gear bay is too far forward, but I haven't done anything about this - I am also aware that the nose leg is too short so I'll likely make my own when the time comes to fit the landing gear. The biggest problem I encountered was the engine pylons being too deep which meant the engine nacelles sat too low - not easy to correct without making a completely new pylon.

All the best,

Tom

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

There was a bit of delay with this build due to the need for good weather for outside spraying. I'm a big fan of the Halfords paint range as outlined above, but you need warm, sunny and relatively windless days to get results with these paints - thankfully spring has sprung here in Kent and I've been busy getting the Mighty-8 painted.

Paints used were Halfords Aluminium as a base for the natural metal areas, and then Citroen Arctic Silver for the the slightly darker metal areas to offer a but of contrast. White was Appliance White which is my 'go to' for white finishes. The bright light in these pictures mean the varied metal finish isn't all that visible, but I can assure you it's there!

DSC_0099

DSC_0101

DSC_0104

DSC_0105

DSC_0110

DSC_0107

I'm going to fit the landing gear next and then make a start on the decals.

All the best,

Tom

• 2 months later...

Good evening all,

Apologies it's been so long since I updated this thread, but I've had a decalling disaster and the whole project ground to a halt whilst I tried to get things sorted. I had an absolute disaster of my own making with the AIM decal sheet, so tried to get a replacement but they are out of print. After contacting various decal manufacturers I struck gold with Juan from 8A decals and he kindly agreed to print me an enlargement of his 1/144th Delta sheet. I cannot recommend 8A decals enough - absolutely superb customer service and he was very happy to help and the price was very reasonable too - the decals were a pleasure to work with and the results speak for themselves...

DSC_0182

DSC_0189

DSC_0184

DSC_0186

On the home straight now, folks.

All the best,
Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...