Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 'IBERIA'

12 hours ago, jenshb said:

Are the legs coming down from the wing really that weak?  The critical point would be the bogie and the axles to the wheels.  Unless the plastic is like a sponge or so soft or thin it can't hold it's shape, then surely it shouldn't be necessary to scratchbuild the entire undercarriage?

I think that the strut coming down from the wing would probably be okay, definitely so if it was reinforced with a brass rod as you mentioned. However, I think that the spot where the axle bogey connects to the main strut is going to be the problem. The plastic is fairly soft, while the plastic of the kits parts is rather thick and heavy, and I just don't see those gear legs holding up for long under the weight.

I would welcome a set of brass gear legs from another manufacturer. I only mentioned SAC, as to my mind, they're the most likely candidate to produce such a set. If I'm proven wrong and someone else does them, that would be great too! Regards, Fred.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:07 AM, TommyP said:

@f5guy and @jenshb I'll be your guinea pig - I'll build mine with the kit parts and we'll see how the plastic holds up. 

In time there may be some metal legs released and I can always replace he gear in due course if needed.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm looking forward to seeing you finish this kit! I couldn't stop myself, and ended up cutting the major parts off of the sprue's last night. Even without cleaning up the fit looked to be pretty good. I told myself that I wasn't going to start this kit until there was some aftermarket wheels and landing gear legs, but I may not be able to contain myself 😆 Fred.

On 1/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, f5guy said:

Hi Tom,

I'm looking forward to seeing you finish this kit! I couldn't stop myself, and ended up cutting the major parts off of the sprue's last night. Even without cleaning up the fit looked to be pretty good. I told myself that I wasn't going to start this kit until there was some aftermarket wheels and landing gear legs, but I may not be able to contain myself 😆 Fred.

Good man! Make sure you keep us updated on your progress!

Milliput and some careful sanding has worked it's magic with the pylons...

50870980208_9706640e04_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50871685291_58c94a4097_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50871685421_5668b3dba4_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Tail issue has been resolved - swivel plates made from thin plastic card:

50871787402_a05cdddbef_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Starting to look the part:

50871787392_98fbe4c70a_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

On to the engines themselves next...

All the best,

Tom