1/35 - 1/48 - Thoughts?

Hi All,

I'm just starting a thread to see what folks are thinking.  I noted with interest the new, upcoming Border Model 1/35 Bf-109G-6 airplane.  Given the many possibilities for dioramas that people may wish to do, the idea of mixing airplanes and armor in a larger size means a 1/35 plane would be a great option.  Of course, alternately, as Tamiya has begun to do over the last many years, one could go with 1/48 scale armor to match the huge number of airplanes in 1/48.  I'm just curious about what folks are thinking, in terms of which way would you prefer to go, if such dioramas are of interest to you.  Would you rather match the new, larger 1/35 airplanes to the very common 1/35 armor, or would you prefer to build 1/48 armor to match the most common scale of airplanes?  I have absolutely no interest in this from a manufacturers perspective, as I'm not a model manufacturer.  I'm guessing it probably boils down to how much room/space a person has to display their models.  1/48 would obviously be the best if space is the most important factor, however, if you have a bit more room, the extra detail of 1/35 armor combined with the bigger airplanes would probably be a more desirable choice.

I'd just like to know what you guys think.

Curt B,

Great topic to bring up for the beginning of a new hopeful year.

Personally I’d like to see Big T (Tamiya) follow up on there 1/48 line of armored kits, Tanks and Soft Skin alike.

I like the scale for a couple of reasons. 

One: It’s just the right amount of detail.

Two: It’s great on space saving in display cases.

Three: 1/48 Vehicles can complement most aircraft in the scale and make for a very nice presentation piece.

While I realize I can not speak for everyone who is in favor of seeing more 1/48 kits and aftermarket accoutrements, it would be nice to see more aircraft essential figures as well. 

For example, ICM is scheduled to release some Vietnam Era 1/48 U.S. Ground Crew to correspond with the release of there OV-10 Broncos and A-26K.👍

Tamiya if you’re listening 👂 please release a 1/48 W.W. II era ambulance 🙏, U.S. Halftrack series, M3A1 Scout Car, Stewart Tank, M-113 APC, and ground support vehicles.

Hows bout an F-86E with positional slats too.🙏 

Hopeless rant and wish list over,:soapbox:

Mr. Happy

Years ago I found some 1/144 armor kits and used them with 1/144 aircraft kits, mainly cargo aircraft like a C-5 & C-17.  I felt it gave a sense of scale to these large planes.

Since I build mostly 1/48 aircraft, 1/48 military vehicles would be more appealing to me, although I don't see how you can blend armor and aircraft into a diorama as they just don't really appear together too often.  There aren't too many tanks on airfields or planes on the battlefield.  I am sure there is room for other soft skinned types of vehicles and Tamiya has done some of these, like jeeps and fuel trucks.  More of those types would be welcome.

Geoff M

I think you're dealing with two niche areas in their respective genres - 1/35 aircraft in an aircraft world and 1/48 vehicles/armour in an AFV world. I doubt we will ever see a situation where there is parity in subject choice in either of those cross-over environments.

Curiously, Airfix have just announced a 1/35 scale Austin K2 ('Katy') ambulance for release in late 2021. It's firmly aimed at the armour market but is still directly related to aviation themes.

1/48 armour/vehicles are (always have been) a niche interest. That's reflected in the relatively limited range of manufacturers who remain in the market (several have tried it out and walked away after one or two releases). On the other hand, there is more out there that relates to aviation than you might think. I've probably missed a few along the way, but off the top of my head, I came up with these 1/48 vehicles (injection moulded only) that relate to aviation subjects:

Airfix:
Albion tanker (early-war/pre-war/UK-only)
Bedford MWD (small cargo truck - fairly universal in application)
WMIK Landrover (slightly tenuous but used by RAF Regt)
'Snatch' Landrover (as above)
Jackal (as above)

Atlantis have re-issued a couple of classic Aurora trucks:
Chevy 2 ton stakeside
White Fruehauf tanker

Hasegawa:
Isuzu(?) airfield tanker
Isuzu(?) cargo truck
Willys Jeep
Kurogane staff car

Italeri:
Opel Blitz tanker
Opel Blitz cargo

Kittyhawk:
Modern Ural trucks (dual set with two full kits - an APU/starter truck and a general cargo version)

Tamiya:
Kubelwagen (two versions)
Kettenkrad with airfield accessories
Willys Jeep
GMC Tanker (beware - the white 'US Army Air Force' lettering on the tank should be neutral grey)
GMC cargo (can be converted to a USAAF workshop truck)
Komatsu dozer (very few actually built but useful for Japanese/US Pacific settings)
Kurogane staff car
Humvee (you'll need to make or find Security Police decals. Alternatively - widely used by army aviation units)
SS100 Hanomag tractor
Opel Blitz cargo (Tamiya moulds)
Opel Blitz Cargo (reboxed Italeri - the box art shows it with the canvas cargo cover in place)
Ford 1942 'Fordor' saloon
Citroen 11CV (Traction Avant)
VW 'Beetle' staff car
Komatsu Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV) - used by JASDF

UM:
GaZ airfield fuel truck
GaZ fire truck

On 1/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, Curt B said:

one could go with 1/48 scale armor to match the huge number of airplanes in 1/48

For me, I'm going with 1/48 scale armor to match my existing collection of 1/48 scale aircraft and have already bought several 1/48 Tamiya tanks.  Options for 1/35 scale aircraft kits and aftermarket accessories are still very limited.