I it just me or is Squadron in trouble/maybe going out of business?  Their in stock selection has been poor for months, there are many brands they no longer seem to carry, and now they are running a 70% off sell.  Sprue Brothers has been so much better in terms of selection and pricing and they are publicizing expansion of their warehouse.  Be a shame to have less competition.

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Squadron hasn’t really been much competition for anyone for several years. I’m surprised they’ve lasted as long as they have. It is a shame. They were pretty good in the ‘80s.

Ben

They were awesome in the 80s and early/mid 90s.

I picked up a few great bargains on that 70% off sale. Even with limited stock I got an ICM Mig-25, twin beech and hobbyboss MiG-31 for a steal. I went back today and not much left and they’ve dropped PayPal as an payment option. Wouldn’t be surprised if the end was near...

I’m on their email list. They are constantly running sales, specials, discounts, contests etc. It is my observation that the higher the discount (e.g. 70%) the fewer items are shown as “in stock”.   If you visit their site right after the sale ends you find a lot more stuff “in stock”.

It’s magic !!! 

3 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

They may have finally gone down the drain. Site’s “closed for renovation”.

Their homepage has (only) this text:

Store Close for Renovation

Thank you for your business and your patience.

Wow I would have expected at least a liquidation sale.  Having attended Squadron Open House events in the past I know there are tons and tons of stock on hand, I can't imagine it's all sold.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Wow I would have expected at least a liquidation sale.

There was a sale, they sent several emails about it:

You read it right! Save 70% Off* at checkout with code: COLD70

*Sale ends Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (cst).
All sales final. In-stock items only. No backorders.
Coupons cannot be combined. Offer not valid on previous purchases.

SQUADRON
Kits | Tools | Accessories | Books

1-972-466-4105
Monday thru Friday 9am - 3pm (cst)

I got all those emails.  During those sales I searched their inventory for what was "in stock". As an example, I find it hard to believe they had only one Hasegawa kit in stock.  I find it hard to believe they had only one ICM kit in stock.

Are they truly closed? I don't know.  Are they truly remodeling? I don't know.  I live in the area, I will try to drive by if I have time after work.

28 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I got all those emails.  During those sales I searched their inventory for what was "in stock". As an example, I find it hard to believe they had only one Hasegawa kit in stock.  I find it hard to believe they had only one ICM kit in stock.

Are they truly closed? I don't know.  Are they truly remodeling? I don't know.  I live in the area, I will try to drive by if I have time after work.

They had more but it went fast. I got an ICM 1/48 Mig-25 for $22, ICM twin beech for about $12, and a 1/48 Hobbyboss Mig-31 for $35

Edited by Charlie D.

I remember when they were THE place to get models and all the other goodies.  Shortly after I got married decades ago I gave my new wife a list of the kits I would like for Christmas and she ordered them from Squadron.  It is sad.  But lately they remind me of a joke I heard about comments on a workers performance report  that kind of applies,  " they hit rock bottom and started digging deeper"

I ordered several kits and a book and allegedly saved $120+ on the order. This morning I received notification from PayPal that my order was cancelled and I had been refunded the $59+ for the order (total refund). Others are posting elsewhere that they have had items from their orders cancelled as well and are only getting part of the order, the rest refunded. I'm happy I at least get my money back, but I'd rather have the 2 kits that I saved 70% off retail. 

So, if any of you placed orders during the sale, don't be surprised if you get refunds and no goods.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I ordered several kits and a book and allegedly saved $120+ on the order. This morning I received notification from PayPal that my order was cancelled and I had been refunded the $59+ for the order (total refund). Others are posting elsewhere that they have had items from their orders cancelled as well and are only getting part of the order, the rest refunded. I'm happy I at least get my money back, but I'd rather have the 2 kits that I saved 70% off retail. 

So, if any of you placed orders during the sale, don't be surprised if you get refunds and no goods.

Mine is in route, delivery expected tomorrow. 

I used to order a lot of stuff from there back in the day.  I have not in the last five years or so because they had nothing I wanted in stock.  And, I don't have archaic tastes in models.  I looked for 1/48 Phantom, Corsair, Spitfire, and MIG stuff and there was never anything there.  Kits or accessories..... sad

Went to a few open houses in conjunction with NCT IPMS Shows at the end of the 90's & early 00's.  Killer deals back then, 1/32 Tamiya F-15E Bunker Buster $89.,  Classic Airframe Kits, just about everything you could want.  Warehouse was stocked, stacked floor to ceiling, modelers heaven.  It would be like going through Sprue Brothers Warehouse today if you could.  The first time I went without a list, only a few items on my mind, then when I got to walking around, I forgot what I wanted, it was awesome.

It changed hands and has been struggling since maybe 2004/05, sad really, monopolies are not good for anyone.

John