Which Tomcat has your "Need for speed"?

Give us a idea of what you plan to build in the 2021 , 50th anniversary Tomcat Group build.

Eracubsfan is running this show, but I will come along for the ride in the back seat.\

List, kit type, scale what markings.

Edited by phantom
  • phantom changed the title to Which Tomcat has your "Need for speed"?

I've got a pair of Fujimi 1/72 tomcats. 

First, I'll build Fast Eagle 100 from 1993 using Furball decals.

Fast-Eagle-100.jpg

I plan to build it in-flight, so the second kit may be used as a on-deck build in case I mess up the first one. If build one goes smoothly, then I'll build up #2 with another scheme from the sheet. 

Edited by Cool Hand
fixed photo link

I have a couple of 1/48 and 1/72 to build. I will likely start with the 48th, but I havent decided on a scheme yet. I literally have about 20 to choose from. However, one of the ones I want to do is a black tailed VF-14 with the big Lid logo on it.

Hey ARC,

I think I'll get in on this. I have an Academy 1/48 'cat in my stash that I want to build up. I know it's not the most accurate or user-friendly, but it's what I have. I don't know what markings I'll use on it yet. I think Tomcats look best in VF-1 and "The Bones" markings, but I don't know if I want to "waste" one of my sheets on this kit. I might have to come up with something "a little different" for this kitty.

L0h6EhB.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I’m going work on two kits during the group build, the Italeri 1/48 F-14A and the Hobby Boss 1/48 F-14B. At the moment I’m not sure about final markings on the F-14A kit, I’m really looking at that one to just get back in the swing of filling, sanding and gluing before moving to the F-14B. That one will be one of the VX-9 line jets. I’ll be getting some photos up the next few days. 

Thanks for setting this up - it should be a lot of fun and it’s just what I needed to get back to building!

Dan

On 1/28/2021 at 7:19 PM, Craig Baldwin said:

My photo of a F-14D at Miramar 1995.

Those were the days!!!

Yet, apart from this, it amazes me how an aircraft such as the Phantom has managed to "survive" the test of time and still be operational in quite a few Air Forces, and the Tomcat was so early decommissioned from service.

OK, I know the Iranians still have it but, is it airworthy?

Still, it's not in the USNAVY, with all those colourful markings and the sensational sounds of its engines!!!

What a great excuse, Like I need an excuse, to build another Tamiya F-14....I freakin' love that kit and my display shelf and stash are testament to that....Alright One of the next I had on the list was an OIF A/C. It is VF-213's F-14D that flew the last combat mission.  When Lion 204 BuNo. 161159 caught the arresting wire on the Roosevelt it sadly ended the Tomcats combat career. Thanks to Ebay I found the Decals, Fightertown's "Lions Last Roar" Sheet 48044. I will add  DEF Models resin wheels also someone's resin seats. I may add Aftermarket exhaust but have not decided yet. Other than that it will be a straight forward build.

Sooo...I was allowed to join late, even though I'd already started my build. I've started with the 1/48 Hasegawa F-14A (below), but I am building as an A+ or a B - not sure yet, but it will be a GE-engined Cat. (I live just under 4 miles from GE Evendale, where the mighty F110's are assembled, so my preference is with the later Cats.)

A bit of backstory: the last model kit I completed was over 14 years ago, late summer of '06, I built the Hasegawa B-model Tomcat, and shipped it off not fully assembled for a model contest at the "Sunset" ceremonies at Oceana. (It was VF-143, Modex 100, in the "baby blue" or "French blue" markings.) My workbench was disassembled in early 2007 for our basement to be waterproofed, and our 18 year-old son had just become a quadriplegic, so life went into a flat spin for several years. Fast forward to November 2020, and to keep my chin up during these times, I made it my goal to re-establish my workbench.

So here I am. Not sure what markings I will do, YET, but my first intention was to do VF-101 in "Tomato" markings. I like color, plain ol' grey just bores me, and the red really jumps out at me. But.....

Maybe y'all want to chime in and suggest something? I have several sets of decals....duplicates of the AeroMaster "Kennedy" set, and a set of VF-103B markings, which I'm not included to use at all.

Maybe I'll stick with "the Tomato."

F-14A Hasegawa.jpg

20210204_184752.jpg

20210204_184819.jpg

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

I saw the Tomato back in Oceana in 95 or 96. Looked real cool on the line. Welcome back. 

Thank you, kind sir. Any suggestions on resources for the stores the Tomato had? I've got a few reference photos, I think my big question is the (please don't crucify me for not knowing what it is) white pod under the starboard side wing root.

image.png.a0ddb11d2874a7e86f803e661634e3f8.png

Hi,

I think the show loadout was something wild like training Sidewinders on 1/8A, a Sparrow on 1B, a GBU-24 on 6, a GBU-16(?) on 3 and a TER on 8B. The TER had the Zuni pod and the TALD (decoy) that you can see plus a 2.75 inch rocket pod that you can’t see in that shot. Definitely a fun what-if loaded on a real jet.

Hope that helps!

Dan