Which Tomcat has your "Need for speed"?

Just now, N6227 said:

Hi,

I think the show loadout was something wild like training Sidewinders on 1/8A, a Sparrow on 1B, a GBU-24 on 6, a GBU-16(?) on 3 and a TER on 8B. The TER had the Zuni pod and the TALD (decoy) that you can see plus a 2.75 inch rocket pod that you can’t see in that shot. Definitely a fun what-if loaded on a real jet.

Hope that helps!

Dan

I'm tempted to do the Tomato but clean - no loadout.

So now that the juices are flowing and I am into Tomcats for the moment, I am going to do another one.  I have the AMK D model that I am going to convert to a B model.  I have the Steel Beach set to make up for the missing parts and Furball decals for the markings.  I have another of the Tamiya D models but I thought I would do a kinda comparison of the 2 in the build.  

I'm planning to build this arrival as the boxed VF-143. Unless...There exists in the world a time when the F-14B flew from the USS Independence with "AG" tailcodes. After several internet hours I have not turned up such.

Delivery was only three weeks; Hannants to Toronto. Normal for the slower delivery option.

50927377363_7321302d90_z.jpg

Hobby Boss F-14B 1:72

Edited by Lost_Erik

I’ve got a 1/48 Has A model set aside for this group build.  I’ll be going what-if and doing it in ADC markings (USAF).  I’m going to try to fit some PW F100 engine exhausts. 

First I have to figure out the pic posting thing (and finish a cat tree project) then I should be able to start. 

2 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

I wish I could find more clear pictures from the timeframe but I want to do one of VF-84's birds from Operation Eagle Claw.  Optimally AJ200 so I can reuse the Tamiya kit decals.

Here's the wing of  AJ200 with the Eagle Claw stripe.

https://imgur.com/5nhfDvd

Here's a large picture with AJ204. Looks like overall Light Gull Gray and the refueling probe door is removed. 

F-14A_VF-41_and_VF-84_Operation_Eagle_Cl

Can't think of anything else you'd need to get the basics.

Edited by Cool Hand
fixed spelling

I'd seen the AJ204 picture before, that's actually what got the idea in my head.  Did AJ200 have white undersurfaces?  Seems like they were transitioning to overall gull gray during that cruise?

Also what was 200's buNo?

Edited by Sarathi S.

Hi all,

I am going to buld a Tamiya A, out of the box except for TCS pod from an old Blackbox Bombcat set, alpha probe and AOA sensor from Master (this is because I have a habit of breaking small pointy plastic things and I am hoping that isn't the case with small pointy metal things) and stiffeners from Furball.  I am going to use the Furball sheet that has the Tomcats from both incidents with Libya and am planning to do one of the two VF-32 jets, trying to decide between 202 and 207.

I may have a second entry, I found a Tamiya D-model on ebay, should arrive here Wednesday or Thursday. I'm thinking I'll do it as an all-grey squadron bird, and weather the hell out of it. (I'm also getting the 1/32 Revell Spitfire (Iron Maiden's "Aces High" version) towards the paint stage, I've had issues with the wings fitting onto the fuselage. Lots of putty and sculpting compound on those joints.)

22 hours ago, FASTEAGLE107 said:

BANDWAGON 101 aka "The pencil" has my preference.

cvn71-vf31-101-5558.jpg.67da63dfe14064836a3c393bd0231eac.jpg 

This is how I am doing mine. The decals are for squadron shut down, but I like the lack of badges and dirtier paint shown when on the boat.

I kid you not, I was like a kid on Christmas morning when the mail arrived. I may do this one as regular all-grey bird, and weather the hell out of it. I plan to start on it after I ship the "Aces High" Spitfire to my friend in Tucson.

20210303_145756.jpg

Hi,

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd love to participate with two builds. 

*A 1/48 Tamiya F-14D converted to an F-14B, decals for the VF-103 TARPS bird that was shot down during Desert Storm. That's from Afterburner Decals sheet 48-071.

*A 1/48 Tamiya F-14A converted to one of those early ones with the high fences using the Steel Beach conversion set. The decals are from Caracal 48-168. I'd like to build BuNo 157988 with the PMTC markings. 

Cheers, Stefan.

15 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

*A 1/48 Tamiya F-14D converted to an F-14B, decals for the VF-103 TARPS bird that was shot down during Desert Storm. That's from Afterburner Decals sheet 48-071.

*A 1/48 Tamiya F-14A converted to one of those early ones with the high fences using the Steel Beach conversion set. The decals are from Caracal 48-168. I'd like to build BuNo 157988 with the PMTC markings. 

Cheers, Stefan.

Plenty of time to contribute.  We are celebrating until September.  Enough time to do 4 or 5 Tomcats!

Geoff M 

16 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Cheers, Stefan.

Welcome, Stefan!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmmm ... I wonder why no one so far has given the obvious a chance? It's 50 years of Tomcats and let's face is, whether we like it or not, the big fighter is still flying! ... just not for the US sadly. I know it sucks, especially for all buddies in the US and yes I know it's always a delicate issue sadly but hey politics - shmolitics! While they don't sport any fancy squadron insignia, their dresses look awesome too. If I had the time to commit, I would do one of those neat - still active after 50 whoppin' years - Persian cats. Heck, 160299 - the first Persian Tomcat, is still flying after all these years making it the longest serving Tomcat serial ever!

Edited by bushande
  • 2 months later...

I sadly only discovered this forum very recently, so I doubt I'll manage to squeak in before the deadline for this group build, but I am planning two Trumpeter 1/144 F-14As in late 70s/early 80s VF41 and Vf-84 colors for a CVW-8 diorama display that I have in mind, as well as a GWH 1/72 F-14A in late 80s VF-84 colors. I may be able to complete one of the 1/144 builds by the deadline, we'll see.