Hasegawa F/A-18C/F Restock?

Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to the hobby and was wondering how often Hasegawa's single seat legacy and two-seat super hornets are restocked? I'm in the US but even Japanese vendors seem to be cleaned out! I understand these molds get re-released from time to time, but I was curious what the turn around is like for somewhat ubiquitous kits like these! I find it kind of funny the two seat legacy and single seat super hornets seem to be in stock most places! Thanks!

Edited by Breaddy-Stack
30 minutes ago, gkwan said:

FYI - We have the F-18D and the F-18E in stock:

https://store.spruebrothers.com/searchresults.asp?Search=has07+hornet&Submit=

I was hesitant but can a two seat super hornet be built from the E kit? I have a few D kits in the stash. Was hoping to track down some Cs

if not do you all think you’ll restock the Fs and Cs?

11 hours ago, Breaddy-Stack said:

I was hesitant but can a two seat super hornet be built from the E kit?

As a rule, no. The two kits contain many of the same sprue's, but you would need the longer canopy and the misc rear cockpit stuff. I dont know if it comes with the second seat or not, but you could always buy aftermarket seats anyways.

12 minutes ago, Spook498 said:

As a rule, no. The two kits contain many of the same sprue's, but you would need the longer canopy and the misc rear cockpit stuff. I dont know if it comes with the second seat or not, but you could always buy aftermarket seats anyways.

That’s a bummer, I guess you can always get replacement parts from Hasegawa but that isn’t ideal. Hoping the F isn’t going off the shelves for a bit. Seems the A/C boxing has since it’s no longer on the website

This doesn't directly answer your question, but for the legacy F/A-18C, Kinetic and Hobbyboss both make options as well.  From reading, I'm unimpressed with the Hobbyboss kit, but the Kinetic is my preferred legacy Hornet.  The build may be ever so slightly more complicated than Hasegawa, but it has loads more detail at baseline.  If you're not picky about boxings, they're pretty easy to come by.  

Meng is just about to release a new F/A-18E, and the F is supposed to be coming relatively soon.  By the previews, it looks on par with the Hasegawa, but gives more options for an up-to-date airframe.  Cost wise, I believe it's about the same.

Or at some point, the Hasegawa's will show up again.  I don't follow their releases all that closely unless it's a new mold/kit, but they tend to always be releasing a new "limited edition" decal option of their kits.  

4 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

This doesn't directly answer your question, but for the legacy F/A-18C, Kinetic and Hobbyboss both make options as well.  From reading, I'm unimpressed with the Hobbyboss kit, but the Kinetic is my preferred legacy Hornet.  The build may be ever so slightly more complicated than Hasegawa, but it has loads more detail at baseline.  If you're not picky about boxings, they're pretty easy to come by.  

Meng is just about to release a new F/A-18E, and the F is supposed to be coming relatively soon.  By the previews, it looks on par with the Hasegawa, but gives more options for an up-to-date airframe.  Cost wise, I believe it's about the same.

Or at some point, the Hasegawa's will show up again.  I don't follow their releases all that closely unless it's a new mold/kit, but they tend to always be releasing a new "limited edition" decal option of their kits.  

I have a hobby boss D in the stash but have heard mixed things so I haven’t picked up any more. Kinetics hornets I’ve heard are the best, I just have decals sized for different kits so I like to have a healthy mix between Hasegawa and Kinetic!

As for Meng, that super hornet looks impressive and from what I’ve seen on armament detail and a few F-35 build Meng makes good stuff. My quest for Hasegawa stems from aftermarket items I have in my stash.

I suppose I’ll just have to be patient or shift focus to an echo model!

I’m nearing the end of a Hobby Boss F-18 a that I used some extras on to make a CF-18a, even with folded wings. For the trouble I’ve had trying to make it look good and add the extras I wish I was working on a Kinetic model.  Too much fiddling and sanding and putty for my tastes with the HB kit.  I’ve built Hornets from all three and I think Kinetic gives the best options and more details with slightly trickier build process than the Hasegawa version. 

1 hour ago, bikerider said:

I’m nearing the end of a Hobby Boss F-18 a that I used some extras on to make a CF-18a, even with folded wings. For the trouble I’ve had trying to make it look good and add the extras I wish I was working on a Kinetic model.  Too much fiddling and sanding and putty for my tastes with the HB kit.  I’ve built Hornets from all three and I think Kinetic gives the best options and more details with slightly trickier build process than the Hasegawa version. 

I think I’ve noticed just from studying the panels that Hasegawa’s option is an A/B that can be mocked up as an early lot C/D. It seems kinetic on the other hand can be updated or backdated as one sees fit. That’s a shame about HB though. I’ve seen some really well executed builds using the HB hornet. 

9 hours ago, Breaddy-Stack said:

I think I’ve noticed just from studying the panels that Hasegawa’s option is an A/B that can be mocked up as an early lot C/D. It seems kinetic on the other hand can be updated or backdated as one sees fit. That’s a shame about HB though. I’ve seen some really well executed builds using the HB hornet. 

I have finished a HB Hornet previously and yes when it's done it looks good. It's just a lot more work than the other brands to get it there. 

If you are just looking to have an -18F in the case, you could try the Revell/Revell of Germany option. They arent nearly as nice but they do have good detail, build easily enough, and for me, dont have too many fit issues except maybe around the bottom of the intakes. People have commented about shape, etc., but for me, it looks like an F model, so.....

I'll check the canopy length and with on the Hasegawa F and D later. They might be close enough. You'd probably need to reshape the two seat canopy insert. It might be doable. Or perhaps the Kinetic legacy Hornet might be a donor - the F/A- 18A/B and Blue Angels boxings have both the single and dobule seater options. So does the adversary boxing.

You'll still need the aft instrument panel and cover. The Hase Foxtrot gives You only the early type. The Delta aft IP and and cover doesn't look that similar, depends how accurate You want to be. The IP is for the Bravo, so the middle MFD is similar to the front office. Hase Echo has the second seat, so that's covered. so is the second stick. 

If You could find a Hasegawa Growler that'd make a nice F, though a bit more expensive. You'd have the ACS aft IP, the proper cover (along with one more ACS-style IP, the previous type aft crew station IP and cover) plus the bard stack ECS exhaust.

Or You could try Your luck with Italeri F (or a Growler). IMO it has much better canopy shape than Revell. Though I believe the Revell kit might be easier to build. But I haven't built it in a while.

For the Hobby Boss legacy Hornet I find the windscreen and canopy just too large. It's almost like they took Hasegawa part and used it as a sort of base for a canopy.

I took some pics when I built the single seat HB Hornet a while back. There is an issue with intake shape, but it's not that noticable.

Finally, in my neck of the woods the Hasegawa F's and G's are readilly available. Depending where Your located, that might be an option.

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/F-A-18F-Super-Hornet-1496311.html

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/EA-18G-GROWLER-2220859.html

And when You finally get Your hands on one - show us Your work. I love seeing Hornets built.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:03 PM, Breaddy-Stack said:

I'm currently building a hobby boss hornet D (converted to a CF-18 and have noticed a few things

- The intakes are really shallow and there is no ducting, it's an open hole at the end

- I think my cockpit was a bit warped as I had to fiddle with it to make it fit. The Canopy doesn't fit perfectly because of this

- Lots of sanding required to fix gaps on the underside of lerx. The boarding ladder does not fit properly if you want to model it closed.

- A little bit of work is required to drop the flaps, this is not a standard option with the kit and the flaps as per the instructions are raised.

- No clear parts for the lights on the tail or the lerx

Overall nothing that a little bit of modelling can't fix. I will be building another as for the price it's a good kit. The detail is good, weapons are plentiful. Hasegawa is too expensive and too hard to come by.

I checked the canopies. The D is approximately 18mm wide at the base of the frame at front, 20,5mm at the rear and 67,8mm long.

The F is17,5mm wide at the base of the frame at the front, 22,5 at the rear and 67,8mm long. It's approximate as I don't have a digital caliper.

I guess it might do for an open canopy. For a closed one a 2mm difference at the width of the frame could be troublesome.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, Spook498 said:

The B/D Legacy Hornet kits and F Super Hornet kits do not share the same parts, they are two different aircraft. Super Hornet is much bigger.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, Thadeus said:

I'll check the canopy length and with on the Hasegawa F and D later. They might be close enough. You'd probably need to reshape the two seat canopy insert. It might be doable. Or perhaps the Kinetic legacy Hornet might be a donor - the F/A- 18A/B and Blue Angels boxings have both the single and dobule seater options. So does the adversary boxing.

You'll still need the aft instrument panel and cover. The Hase Foxtrot gives You only the early type. The Delta aft IP and and cover doesn't look that similar, depends how accurate You want to be. The IP is for the Bravo, so the middle MFD is similar to the front office. Hase Echo has the second seat, so that's covered. so is the second stick. 

If You could find a Hasegawa Growler that'd make a nice F, though a bit more expensive. You'd have the ACS aft IP, the proper cover (along with one more ACS-style IP, the previous type aft crew station IP and cover) plus the bard stack ECS exhaust.

Or You could try Your luck with Italeri F (or a Growler). IMO it has much better canopy shape than Revell. Though I believe the Revell kit might be easier to build. But I haven't built it in a while.

For the Hobby Boss legacy Hornet I find the windscreen and canopy just too large. It's almost like they took Hasegawa part and used it as a sort of base for a canopy.

I took some pics when I built the single seat HB Hornet a while back. There is an issue with intake shape, but it's not that noticable.

Finally, in my neck of the woods the Hasegawa F's and G's are readilly available. Depending where Your located, that might be an option.

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/F-A-18F-Super-Hornet-1496311.html

https://www.mojehobby.pl/products/EA-18G-GROWLER-2220859.html

And when You finally get Your hands on one - show us Your work. I love seeing Hornets built.

Believe it or not I'm actually okay with the old lot super hornets. The plan was to build 2003 era jets from VFAs 14 and 41. 2003 was really interesting to me since you had such an odd smattering of US aircraft in combat from straight up F/A-18As of VFA-97, to some of the first few squadrons to transition over to rhinos as well as tomcats. Regardless, I have a bit to consider. I bought CAM decals knowing I'd want to get to some super hornets at some point so I should probably see what they are sized for if it even matters! 

For the legacy you mentioned I feel like it might be worth it for me to look into seamless intakes! Hopefully an open canopy might mitigate size problems. I think that's what I've noticed most people do with ill fitting canopies!

On 1/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, Alternative 4 said:

I'm currently building a hobby boss hornet D (converted to a CF-18 and have noticed a few things

- The intakes are really shallow and there is no ducting, it's an open hole at the end

- I think my cockpit was a bit warped as I had to fiddle with it to make it fit. The Canopy doesn't fit perfectly because of this

- Lots of sanding required to fix gaps on the underside of lerx. The boarding ladder does not fit properly if you want to model it closed.

- A little bit of work is required to drop the flaps, this is not a standard option with the kit and the flaps as per the instructions are raised.

- No clear parts for the lights on the tail or the lerx

Overall nothing that a little bit of modelling can't fix. I will be building another as for the price it's a good kit. The detail is good, weapons are plentiful. Hasegawa is too expensive and too hard to come by.

Just from some build logs I've followed I've also noticed that the WSO instrument panel coaming is incorrect. They have the correct hand controllers for the back seat but the most visible part looks like an F/A-18B. Eduard's PE set corrects this but get ready to do some super bending!

7 hours ago, Breaddy-Stack said:

Believe it or not I'm actually okay with the old lot super hornets. The plan was to build 2003 era jets from VFAs 14 and 41. 2003 was really interesting to me since you had such an odd smattering of US aircraft in combat from straight up F/A-18As of VFA-97, to some of the first few squadrons to transition over to rhinos as well as tomcats. Regardless, I have a bit to consider. I bought CAM decals knowing I'd want to get to some super hornets at some point so I should probably see what they are sized for if it even matters! 

For the legacy you mentioned I feel like it might be worth it for me to look into seamless intakes! Hopefully an open canopy might mitigate size problems. I think that's what I've noticed most people do with ill fitting canopies!

Just from some build logs I've followed I've also noticed that the WSO instrument panel coaming is incorrect. They have the correct hand controllers for the back seat but the most visible part looks like an F/A-18B. Eduard's PE set corrects this but get ready to do some super bending!

As a matter of fact the Hobby Boss D kit has the proper instrument panel for an Night Attack (USMC) version. The only kit in this scale AFAIK. Kinetic and Hasegawa both use the B style IP. The cover is indeed just plain ugly. Hasegawa one looks much better, but it's for the B. The Kinetic one looks very nice, but again for a B. Shame really. Hoped someone would just release the aft IP with proper cover, once the Kintetic kit hit the market. Something similar to what Metallic Details did with SH ACS.

I too dig the early schemes for the SH - there's nothing wrong with that. I really liked the first VFA-41 lo-vis scheme. And the fact they took two jets to join the first SH VFA-115 cruise is just too cool. So on the deck there were VF-31 Tomcats along with single and double seater SH. Nice sight. Or the VF-211 checkered tails. Qute the feat to imitate the extreme weathering and touch ups. However I find most of the schemes I like are for the later lots with bard stack, and often with the ACS (or ACS "ready" - apparently witout the huge center display).

41 minutes ago, Thadeus said:

As a matter of fact the Hobby Boss D kit has the proper instrument panel for an Night Attack (USMC) version. The only kit in this scale AFAIK. Kinetic and Hasegawa both use the B style IP. The cover is indeed just plain ugly. Hasegawa one looks much better, but it's for the B. The Kinetic one looks very nice, but again for a B. Shame really. Hoped someone would just release the aft IP with proper cover, once the Kintetic kit hit the market. Something similar to what Metallic Details did with SH ACS.

I too dig the early schemes for the SH - there's nothing wrong with that. I really liked the first VFA-41 lo-vis scheme. And the fact they took two jets to join the first SH VFA-115 cruise is just too cool. So on the deck there were VF-31 Tomcats along with single and double seater SH. Nice sight. Or the VF-211 checkered tails. Qute the feat to imitate the extreme weathering and touch ups. However I find most of the schemes I like are for the later lots with bard stack, and often with the ACS (or ACS "ready" - apparently witout the huge center display).

You’d be interested to know that Flying Leathernecks Decals are going to be releasing the F/A-18D correction for Hasegawa and Kinetic. Definitely a must purchase on my end!

I found it’s pretty hard to get a lot of info on early Rhinos. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place who knows! But I heard on a podcast that early on when VFA-41 was forward deployed with VFA-115, there weren’t ATFLIRs to go around and were using regular nite hawk. Hopefully I’m remembering that correctly. Additionally I think I read somewhere the full hornet suite of weapons wasn't approved for operational use by the time Rhinos showed up to the PG. Most pictures I find from 2003 SHs are tanker configured. Maybe someone can chime in on early SH facts!

On 1/17/2021 at 4:13 PM, Breaddy-Stack said:

You’d be interested to know that Flying Leathernecks Decals are going to be releasing the F/A-18D correction for Hasegawa and Kinetic. Definitely a must purchase on my end!

I found it’s pretty hard to get a lot of info on early Rhinos. Maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place who knows! But I heard on a podcast that early on when VFA-41 was forward deployed with VFA-115, there weren’t ATFLIRs to go around and were using regular nite hawk. Hopefully I’m remembering that correctly. Additionally I think I read somewhere the full hornet suite of weapons wasn't approved for operational use by the time Rhinos showed up to the PG. Most pictures I find from 2003 SHs are tanker configured. Maybe someone can chime in on early SH facts!

There might have been some info in Osprey Books. US Navy Hornets in OIF. That's where I took the info regarding the VFA-115 and VFA-41 sharing deck. There might have been some info there on loadouts and such. I don't have the books, and I read them quite a while ago. Here are some shots with weapons, all from this time.  I see some GBU-16's.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_030401-N-9593M-050_An_Aviation_Ordnanceman_from_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_One_Fifteen_(VFA-115)_wires_up_ordnance_on_an_F-A-18F_Super_Hornet_assigned_to_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_Forty-One_(VFA-41)_attached_to_USS_Nimitz_(.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_030401-N-9593M-031_An_F-A-18F_Super_Hornet_is_uploaded_with_ordnance_by_Aviation_Ordnanceme_after_returning_to_USS_Abraham_Lincoln_(CVN_72)_from_its_first_combat_mission.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_030404-N-9951B-016_An_F-A-18F_Super_Hornet,_assigned_to_the_'Black_Aces'_of_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_Forty_One_(VFA-41),_prepares_to_launch_from_the_flight_deck_aboard_USS_Abraham_Lincoln_(CVN_72).jpg

Or a Wespac video from 2003 - there's at least one GBU-12 shot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNMc7Y3cP_80

VFA-115 during the 2002/2003 deployment apparently dropped GBU-31's.