A-4C Skyhawk - VA-36 Roadrunners (1/48 Hasegawa)

Hi, here's a Skyhawk build (or two), to regain my mojo  : )

I was searching up some info on VA-36 Roadrunners and it seems they used the A-4E for just a month before going back to A-4C's.  From wiki:  "The squadron began its transition to A-4Es in October 1967 and in November 1967 transitioned back to A-4Cs."    Anyone know why they went back to C's?     I see the kits are harder to obtain.  I bought a couple but they set me back quite a bit.  

I picked up some AOA decals which look fantastic.   50821316458_c614478e6b_h.jpg

50822162062_bbf5ea9e5d_h.jpg

50822162012_c88e91ad47_h.jpg

50822161967_85525dd0ae_h.jpg

img%5D

I'm using common parts from the Hasegawa A-4E for now to start working on the models until the A-4C kits arrive.    Got lots of spare TERs from the Hasegawa weapons boxes as well.  I'll try to use the instrument panel decals included in the kit.

img%5D

img%5D

I whittled some folds in the fabric of the parachute pack to make it look like less of a solid slab : )

img%5D

The swaybars (right side of picture) look really great but there's not a lot in the kit -- just enough for connecting the TERs to the pylons.   

img%5D

TERs are from the Hasegawa weapons box.   Modifying them a bit by cutting off the firing cables and shaving off the moulded-on breeches (is that what you call them?) on the sides -- as they look smaller than the one at the bottom and harder to paint being moulded-on.

img%5D

Re-shaping the swaybars from the Hasegawa weapons box.

img%5D

Also drilled out and reshaped the backs.

img%5D

Reshaped the tops of the forward section.

img%5D

Will have to drill out the swaybars to add bolts and add those little round footpads.   

Thanks for stopping by, BW, hope you can start working on your Scooter soon : )    Hi, Night Owl, I just viewed your thread -- really amazing stuff -- that is some real precision work, thanks for sharing : )   One of the kits I ordered has Cutting Edge details included but I'm not sure what it consists of yet.   I do want to make use of whatever's in the kit as much as possible so I can see how it turns out right out of the box and just add a few scratched details here and there. 

img%5D

Drilled holes in the swaybraces and inserted 0.3mm rods through.

img%5D

Still need to make some footpads, add the breeches and firing cables to the TERs.  

img%5D

I'm not sure If I'll be using the console decals as there are a lot of raised knobs and the decal may not flatten well but I used the IP so I wouldn't have to paint and make a mess of the gauges.

img%5D

I haven't received the A-4C kits yet -- I'm hoping they weren't lost in the mail.   In the meantime I checked out the local ads and found a Hobbycraft A-4C Skyhawk nearby so I grabbed it, thinking I could probably graft the nose and intakes over to my Hasegawa A-4E to convert it.

img%5D

img%5D

The panel lines on the Hobbycraft are bigger and more toyish and it just doesn't have that "precision-model" look about it that the Hasegawa possesses although I've seen some really nice builds on the web using this kit so it really depends on one's skill.  If I'd graft the nose I'll probably fill the panel lines and rescribe it.   I'm not good at that so I'll just wait for the Hasegawa kits a bit more.

I would wait for your Hasagawa kit it looks far superior. I found a good hack if you are going to scribe pannel lines which inevitability like most you skip off the intended trail with a good sctatch. 3M glazing compound super thin great working time, it can be a bit soft not meant for big gaps but great for fixing scratches.