A-4C Skyhawk - VA-36 Roadrunners (1/48 Hasegawa)

Thanks, Night Owl! : )   Need to get back to this build before I lose track of where I'm at. Focus isnt my strongest suit and was becoming too absorbed with another project, haha.  I didn't know attaching instruments can be addictive : ) Hi Dutch, thanks! : )  Great to know the thread is useful, somehow.  I'm learning a lot through the build as well.

Edited by crackerjazz
  • 2 weeks later...

img%5D

I thought it might be good to have a go at these patches on the A-4C.   Are these stiffeners?  And why are they shaped as such?

img%5D

They're not depicted on the Hasegawa kit so I thought I might have a go at it with some .013mm styrene.   Only recently got the Cricut machine to accept my files - thanks RichardL for the help!

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

This machine is such a blessing.  I used to print patterns on paper, glue them onto styrene sheet, cut them up with the xacto, and peel the paper off.   Never again : )    I'm still looking for the best settings for cutting styrene on the Cricut so I wouldn't have to cut by hand but at least they're partially cut and the score marks can be traced with the xacto knife.  I'm just wondering why 0.5mm styrene can be scored pretty deeply but 0.13mm styrene can't be cut all the way through.  

Edited by crackerjazz
1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

Only recently got the Cricut machine to accept my files - thanks RichardL for the help!

Can you share how you got the Cricut to accept files, either here or PM me?  The Cricut design space is certainly less user friendly than the Silhouette Cameo.

Hi lockheed2004, sure.  Send me the file and I can take a look?

The dxf file from Solidworks doesn't open directly in Design Space.  Richard originally recommended Adobe Illustrator -- I have the older CS6 but it doesn't install in Windows 10 anymore and I'm not skillful at it anyway so I still draw in Solidworks.   Richard mentioned about Inkscape so that's what I use now   : )   I'm unable to open the dxf file directly in Inkscape either but what I do is:

1.  I color the flat pattern black in Solidworks and take a screenshot of it (I think this can be done in Inkscape as well)

2.  Open the image file in Inkscape

3.  Click once on the image (you should see arrows surrounding it)

4.  Go to Path - >  Trace bitmap - > Multiple scans

5.  Select "Grays", untick "Smooth", tick "Stack", tick "Remove background"

6.  hit the OK button (it will gray out and come back - can be very quick)

7.  Close the Trace Bitmap window

8.   Drag out the image layers and delete the original.  Leave just one.

9.  Center the new image and Save as an SVG file

10.  Go to Design Space, upload and insert the file.

11.  Resize as needed.

Some of the guys must be laughing now at the extra long procedure : )    But it works for me and I have to resort to it until I find out how to import Solidworks dxf files directly.   There are probably more shortcuts in Inkspace-- just not so familiar with it yet.  

Some interesting reads/vids:

1.  How to convert dxf to svg in Inkscape

2.  How to make svg cut patterns (also mentions about Vector Magic)

3.  Useful Inkscape image to SVG video

4.  From photos to cutfiles in Inkscape

Edited by crackerjazz
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Alex, thanks for checking in on my little project.   My modelling life has been languishing of late but hopefully I can get back to it soon.   There was so much I wanted to do that nothing got done : )