A dedication to my best friend

4 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

But I'm trying to look forward to brighter times, in the time that I have left and will try to return to a more jovial self as the past several years have been harsh.  But compared to many, I have still been fortunate. 

Wow, great stories.. I love the TV watching stories, it's really special.

I think that the smartness made us connect so strongly with our respective dogs. A few examples. Our boxer would grasp the concept of a new game immediately, she knew tricks to win a game, she was proud to win a game. If we were to cross a street and she was ahead of me (no leash involved), she always stopped and waited at the edge of the sidewalk - traffic or not. If a potential walk became a shopping tour (out of necessity), she refused to go into the second shop, and made a special movement with her head which would make the collar slip off, and looked at us with a look that said "this wasn't the deal". She would then wait on the shop's door mat until we were done, refusing to go in with us.

Small things, I know, but still, smart things. None of the others dogs that I've known had anyway near that intelligence. It made me think afterwards about how much self-awareness she had. I'm pretty sure that you also wondered what went on in Coby's mind.

We were both blessed by very special dogs, and like you said, we should be thankful for their company.

Rob

As a fellow Dog guy and lover of animals, I am very sorry for your loss.  Thank you so much for sharing that amazing story.  They truly are angels sent to us when we need them.  Perhaps he is off now to help someone else in need.  I've lost a few pups...I'm an Akita guy and on my fourth.  My last boy died at just 7 after his stomach twisted and he had a heart attack on the operating table.  I was gutted for months.  But things get better...he will never be replaced..but one day we will all meet again.  I wish you the best friend.  Be good to yourself and God bless.  

On 1/20/2021 at 6:33 AM, Napalmakita said:

..but one day we will all meet again.  I wish you the best friend.  Be good to yourself and God bless.  

A most kind word, thank you.  The month is passing quickly and I am packing, almost ready to move 1500 miles away.  I have an almost irrational fear that I will leave his spirit behind here as I go.  I have his ashes and memories which seem so miniscule to the larger-than-life pup that he was.  I do believe he was sent to me so I could have a companion and to help my self-worth as the airline I worked for continuously tried to destroy me.  But Coby was always there, happy to see me, to be my friend and to spend time with me as if it was automatic.  

There is no other relationship on earth that matches that between humans and dogs.  Some of my friends say that God put them under our care to allow us to meet the great potential we have for goodness.  I don't know if that's true but it sure answers a lot of questions. I've always had a dog and sometimes two or three.  They are all different and they all made me laugh and gave me tremendous joy.  

Thank you again for the kind words.  

9 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

A most kind word, thank you.  The month is passing quickly and I am packing, almost ready to move 1500 miles away.  I have an almost irrational fear that I will leave his spirit behind here as I go.  I have his ashes and memories which seem so miniscule to the larger-than-life pup that he was.  I do believe he was sent to me so I could have a companion and to help my self-worth as the airline I worked for continuously tried to destroy me.  But Coby was always there, happy to see me, to be my friend and to spend time with me as if it was automatic.  

There is no other relationship on earth that matches that between humans and dogs.  Some of my friends say that God put them under our care to allow us to meet the great potential we have for goodness.  I don't know if that's true but it sure answers a lot of questions. I've always had a dog and sometimes two or three.  They are all different and they all made me laugh and gave me tremendous joy.  

Thank you again for the kind words.  

None of us can know what the journey and this life is really all about...helps me not take it too seriously some times.  But I agree with your friends, puppers show us how to be in the moment, enjoy every day and be unconditionally loving.  In trade we show them the best of human qualities.. taking care of others who need help, providing food and shelter.  We all learn and we all benefit..we are all connected.  Your little buddy isn't stuck in this physical realm now..his spirit is running free...wherever you are, he can be too.  Just quiet your mind for a minute and you'll feel him right there next to you.  All the best on your new adventure.  

• 3 weeks later...

Replying for a second time, again so sorry for your loss.

One of my current dogs also watches TV. Your info was interesting to read. Indy especially like dog shows. If he hears the Pet Smart commercial he come scooting into the living room.

Edited by Scooby
On 2/13/2021 at 9:21 AM, Scooby said:

Replying for a second time, again so sorry for your loss.

One of my current dogs also watches TV. Your info was interesting to read. Indy especially like dog shows. If he hears the Pet Smart commercial he come scooting into the living room.

That is so cool.  Only recently have people dove into the very unusual relationship that people have with dogs.  I've also noted how through selective breeding, humans have diversified all the different breeds, supposedly from one genome, the wolf.   Everything from Chihuahuas to Bull Mastiffs, it's remarkable and many of them with distinct and unique personality traits.  

It's been a month and a half now and though I'm feeling a little better, I am still very much attached to my emotions toward Coby.  I have read many testimonials and seen some videos where dogs and their masters have equally co-dependent relationships as I had with my little hero.  It impressed on me greatly that this is something no other two species on the planet has and it fills my heart with great joy to see it.  Conversely, I cringe at the stories of cruelty, remembering being told that "Anyone who would be cruel to an animal would have no problem being cruel to people."  

Rescuing a dog or cat to a loving home is something I believe in and in time, I will likely go to a shelter and find a new pal but I'm not ready just yet as the pain still lingers.  But I know I will come around eventually.  

I also am grateful to all who have read and participated in this thread, knowing it has next-to-nothing to do with model building but many of us have our special companion close by when we're at the bench or just fondling the plastic of a new kit.  I still chuckle as I remember Coby very much needing to inspect any packages that came in the mail for my hobbies.  A quick but serious sniffing and a look at me to approve the latest acquisition.  

It still fascinates me that dogs seem able to read us so very well and offer us unconditional love and tolerate our being so very flawed as beings while wishing to be close by and enjoying our attention and affection so easily.  For all the challenges we face in our day-to-day lives, our pets are always there to welcome us, sit with us and all for just a kind word, a pat on the head or belly rub and playtime.   It's perhaps the best bargain we humans have ever struck.  

I hadn't read this thread until today - I have no idea why I was drawn to view it, but somehow I was...

Yesterday afternoon, after 18 years and four months, we said Goodbye to our beautiful cat, Sofka.

When we decided to adopt a pet, there was a heated debate about whether to have a cat or a dog - I 'won', and we soon found ourselves at a small rescue centre run by a lady in a nearby town, looking at some 20 or so cats in three or four enclosures in the rear garden of her house. A small, pretty, mostly all-white young cat caught my attention by scrambling up a sloping branch to be almost at eye level directly in front of me. I picked her immediately, my wife agreed, and shortly afterwards we were driving home with 'our baby'...

Strictly an indoor cat - except for being allowed in the enclosed rear gardens of our three homes - she was always 'there', first thing every morning, last thing every night, and throughout the course of each and every day. As, in the main, were we for her. For some 13 years I worked nights and my wife days, so generally one or the other of us was always at home with her - and for the last three-and-a-half years our home has been our work, so we are both constantly here. Whenever we went out together, be it for an hour or a whole day, our return was always guaranteed a response - for many years at the previous house by seeing her sat on the windowsill and mewing happily at having seen us come back; in the latter years there and here since by simply lifting her head from her repose in the armchair or on the sofa, and giving us a look that said "OK, you're home, then" as we walked in...

Whilst unable to sleep last night, I worked out that in all the time that we 'owned' her - or, should that be, that she 'owned' us - my wife and I were away from her overnight together for only about five weeks in total. Although my wife was away for four or five weeks most years visiting family or friends and for work, for at least the first six or seven I chose to remain at home with the cat - the first time we did leave her alone with a friend going in twice a day to feed her, despite having been warned not to try to stroke her or the like, the friend sought her out on one such visit, reached out, and received a laceration that required hospital treatment! We knew how that felt; she was very territorial, and for quite a few years, sometimes the sight of another cat or even a bird outside the window led to her attacking one of us - on one memorable occasion, I went from innocently watching TV to suddenly having a snarling cat hanging from a heel by both her teeth and claws! My wife still bears scars around one ankle...

Although 'our' cat, it gradually became clear that she was predominately 'my' cat - my wife says it started the very first night, when, after we'd settled her on the bottom of our bed, a few minutes after turning out the lights I suddenly felt my feet become very warm and very wet! I was being marked as 'hers', apparently! It was invariably me who she chose to sit with, lie on, follow around, or approach for attention - despite trying, my wife was apparently never able to play with her satisfactorily, whether with feathers on strings, or foam-rubber balls (rainbow-striped only, all others were ignored); nor, seemingly, were her efforts at brushing good enough - they'd barely last two minutes before the cat stalked off, whereas with me, 10-15 minute playing or brushing sessions with loud contented soundtracks were common. When it came to food, however, that was a different matter - unlike me, my wife was very susceptible to being emotionally blackmailed into throwing away perfectly good food, and replacing it with fresh...

When it came to modelling, that was the one area where the cat and I did not see eye-to-eye. I have a homemade (not by me) castored storage unit with a fold-out top, that sits at the end of my sofa and, when I'm in a modelling mood, is wheeled around and opened up in front of me alongside the coffee table. Often, no sooner had I laid out what I wanted to work on, then the cat would get up, stretch, wander from either the armchair or sofa next to me, onto the coffee table, and hence onto the workbench - on occasion she'd fail to navigate laid-out sprues without treading on them, on others she'd take great interest in my assortment of paintbrushes, which I had to permanently protect with a plastic bag cover. Suitably admonished after being lifted off, she'd stay away for a period of time, but venture back eventually - many a time I gave up on a session, especially if I was trying to paint. Then, of course, there was the matter of cat hairs everywhere!

With just one notable exception, she was always a fit and healthy cat - comments were always made by the vets during annual heathchecks about how well she was for her age. Apart from a hospitalisation for dental work, the only other treatment she ever needed was some years ago when she had a bout of vomiting and refusing food for a week - admitted then due to dehydration, tests revealed the onset of kidney disease, managed subsequently by a slight change of diet...

But yesterday, after a week or so of her becoming increasingly less active, eating less and less, and sleeping entire days away, all while her breathing gradually got more shallow and increasingly rapid, our world came crashing down when the vet took one look at her in her carry-cage, announced she had the classic signs of heart failure, and told us we needed to make an immediate decision: emergency surgery to drain fluid from around her lungs, or put her to sleep and end her suffering there and then...

....it seems that a late-night episode I witnessed about two weeks ago - when she had a momentary coughing and sneezing fit followed by gasping for breath for some 30-40 seconds - was probably a heart attack. With surgery only delaying the inevitable even if she survived it, and knowing how she'd been when in hospital previously (discharged early the second time, because she was so distressed), there really was only one decision to make, and we said very tearful goodbyes...

I have cried more in the past 30 hours than in my entire 60 years - I never knew losing a small white, fluffy creature could tear such a huge hole in my heart. Likewise, my wife keeps suddenly bursting into uncontrollable sobs - despite unofficially being 'my' cat, she clearly loved her just as much as I now know that I did. Being much more pragmatic about these things than I am, she says we gave her a good life, and at almost 19 years old, it was simply her time - she's probably right, but at this moment I'm having a hard time accepting it; I'm mainly feeling guilty that I hadn't realised what I'd seen was a probable heart attack, and so hadn't sought help for her sooner...

Quite some years ago now, our bank launched a facility enabling customers to personalise bank cards with pictures of their choice- my wife took advantage straightaway, and our gorgeous cat has been in her purse ever since. Now I'm following suit, and our little Tsarina will soon be on the card in my wallet:

SofkaSofa.jpg.12d4a76591fbad05bb301f2e41df6e8b.jpg

RIP Sofka, my Sofka; my beautiful cat; my bestest girl...

Edited by andyf117

My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your friend.  We had a beautiful golden retriever, Chance, that the whole family adored, and though it has been about 15 years since he passed, we still have his pictures out and speak of him often.  I found this cartoon online, and hope it brings you a small measure of comfort, as I am sure your buddy would want for you.

BobIMG_1141.thumb.JPG.15c8f712a712a6606e13d12a3f30717b.JPG

16 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I hadn't read this thread until today - I have no idea why I was drawn to view it, but somehow I was...

Yesterday afternoon, after 18 years and four months, we said Goodbye to our beautiful cat, Sofka.

When we decided to adopt a pet, there was a heated debate about whether to have a cat or a dog - I 'won', and we soon found ourselves at a small rescue centre run by a lady in a nearby town, looking at some 20 or so cats in three or four enclosures in the rear garden of her house. A small, pretty, mostly all-white young cat caught my attention by scrambling up a sloping branch to be almost at eye level directly in front of me. I picked her immediately, my wife agreed, and shortly afterwards we were driving home with 'our baby'...

Strictly an indoor cat - except for being allowed in the enclosed rear gardens of our three homes - she was always 'there', first thing every morning, last thing every night, and throughout the course of each and every day. As, in the main, were we for her. For some 13 years I worked nights and my wife days, so generally one or the other of us was always at home with her - and for the last three-and-a-half years our home has been our work, so we are both constantly here. Whenever we went out together, be it for an hour or a whole day, our return was always guaranteed a response - for many years at the previous house by seeing her sat on the windowsill and mewing happily at having seen us come back; in the latter years there and here since by simply lifting her head from her repose in the armchair or on the sofa, and giving us a look that said "OK, you're home, then" as we walked in...

Whilst unable to sleep last night, I worked out that in all the time that we 'owned' her - or, should that be, that she 'owned' us - my wife and I were away from her overnight together for only about five weeks in total. Although my wife was away for four or five weeks most years visiting family or friends and for work, for at least the first six or seven I chose to remain at home with the cat - the first time we did leave her alone with a friend going in twice a day to feed her, despite having been warned not to try to stroke her or the like, the friend sought her out on one such visit, reached out, and received a laceration that required hospital treatment! We knew how that felt; she was very territorial, and for quite a few years, sometimes the sight of another cat or even a bird outside the window led to her attacking one of us - on one memorable occasion, I went from innocently watching TV to suddenly having a snarling cat hanging from a heel by both her teeth and claws! My wife still bears scars around one ankle...

Although 'our' cat, it gradually became clear that she was predominately 'my' cat - my wife says it started the very first night, when, after we'd settled her on the bottom of our bed, a few minutes after turning out the lights I suddenly felt my feet become very warm and very wet! I was being marked as 'hers', apparently! It was invariably me who she chose to sit with, lie on, follow around, or approach for attention - despite trying, my wife was apparently never able to play with her satisfactorily, whether with feathers on strings, or foam-rubber balls (rainbow-striped only, all others were ignored); nor, seemingly, were her efforts at brushing good enough - they'd barely last two minutes before the cat stalked off, whereas with me, 10-15 minute playing or brushing sessions with loud contented soundtracks were common. When it came to food, however, that was a different matter - unlike me, my wife was very susceptible to being emotionally blackmailed into throwing away perfectly good food, and replacing it with fresh...

When it came to modelling, that was the one area where the cat and I did not see eye-to-eye. I have a homemade (not by me) castored storage unit with a fold-out top, that sits at the end of my sofa and, when I'm in a modelling mood, is wheeled around and opened up in front of me alongside the coffee table. Often, no sooner had I laid out what I wanted to work on, then the cat would get up, stretch, wander from either the armchair or sofa next to me, onto the coffee table, and hence onto the workbench - on occasion she'd fail to navigate laid-out sprues without treading on them, on others she'd take great interest in my assortment of paintbrushes, which I had to permanently protect with a plastic bag cover. Suitably admonished after being lifted off, she'd stay away for a period of time, but venture back eventually - many a time I gave up on a session, especially if I was trying to paint. Then, of course, there was the matter of cat hairs everywhere!

With just one notable exception, she was always a fit and healthy cat - comments were always made by the vets during annual heathchecks about how well she was for her age. Apart from a hospitalisation for dental work, the only other treatment she ever needed was some years ago when she had a bout of vomiting and refusing food for a week - admitted then due to dehydration, tests revealed the onset of kidney disease, managed subsequently by a slight change of diet...

But yesterday, after a week or so of her becoming increasingly less active, eating less and less, and sleeping entire days away, all while her breathing gradually got more shallow and increasingly rapid, our world came crashing down when the vet took one look at her in her carry-cage, announced she had the classic signs of heart failure, and told us we needed to make an immediate decision: emergency surgery to drain fluid from around her lungs, or put her to sleep and end her suffering there and then...

....it seems that a late-night episode I witnessed about two weeks ago - when she had a momentary coughing and sneezing fit followed by gasping for breath for some 30-40 seconds - was probably a heart attack. With surgery only delaying the inevitable even if she survived it, and knowing how she'd been when in hospital previously (discharged early the second time, because she was so distressed), there really was only one decision to make, and we said very tearful goodbyes...

I have cried more in the past 30 hours than in my entire 60 years - I never knew losing a small white, fluffy creature could tear such a huge hole in my heart. Likewise, my wife keeps suddenly bursting into uncontrollable sobs - despite unofficially being 'my' cat, she clearly loved her just as much as I now know that I did. Being much more pragmatic about these things than I am, she says we gave her a good life, and at almost 19 years old, it was simply her time - she's probably right, but at this moment I'm having a hard time accepting it; I'm mainly feeling guilty that I hadn't realised what I'd seen was a probable heart attack, and so hadn't sought help for her sooner...

Quite some years ago now, our bank launched a facility enabling customers to personalise bank cards with pictures of their choice- my wife took advantage straightaway, and our gorgeous cat has been in her purse ever since. Now I'm following suit, and our little Tsarina will soon be on the card in my wallet:

SofkaSofa.jpg.12d4a76591fbad05bb301f2e41df6e8b.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss and I know the pain your feeling.  I'm an Akita owner and lover..I'm on #4 now.  Saying goodbye to the previous 3 was gutting.  But it gets better.  I understand the first reaction is to think we could have done something..but the reality is we just don't know and they leave when they are ready.  Try not to beat yourself up..I know it's tempting but your fur baby would never want that.  We do our best and we grow from each experience.  My last boy, a big, beautiful Akita died at only 7.  He bloated, stomach completely twisted and he died on the operating table during the emergency surgery.  He was my best friend in this place..I couldn't breath I was so hurt.  I found a website Pet Loss Grief Support...it helped me to connect with others going through the same pain and I took the time to help others,  some of the stories there are absolutely horrific.  It made me feel less sorry for myself and be grateful for the time we shared.  Take care of yourself..we will all meet again some day.  

On 2/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, andyf117 said:

Andy, 

A heartfelt and touching tribute to a wonderful pet.  I grieve with you as many here do, I'm sure.  Our pets do become such solid anchors to our own existence and I, for one, forget how, as one person has said, "They are with us for a short period in our lives, but for them we are there for their whole life."

That has been in my head since Jan 4 this year and I still feel devastated.  I suppose it will get easier as time passes but yes, I understand the enormous space that has been left.  They are our alter egos and our friends, asking for very little and giving us so very much. 

I hope the coming days will find you and your wife at peace knowing that you've been fine guardians for a wonderful animal and that you can dwell on the good more than the absence.  

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
On 2/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, Napalmakita said:

I'm sorry for your loss and I know the pain your feeling...

On 2/20/2021 at 2:37 AM, VADM Fangschleister said:

A heartfelt and touching tribute to a wonderful pet...

Thank you, gents...

Yesterday was a hard day, being one week on - touchingly, it was marked in the morning by the arrival of a condolences card from our vets. Though a 'corporate' item, the envelope was addressed by hand, and the message in the card was hand-written rather than pre-printed...

....as it got to mid-afternoon, I found myself constantly looking at the time, and variously thinking "this was when we left", and "this was our appointment time", but I have no idea of the exact time when 'our baby' went to sleep for the last time, nor when we got home - only that I'd then spent an hour or so preparing her final resting place in the garden while my wife wrapped her in a blanket that she liked to sleep on, placed inside a nice box. She loved to sit or lie in boxes - sometimes part of the attraction of my modelling table was a kit box lid...

Tomorrow will likely be equally hard, as we're expecting delivery of a rose bush that we are going to plant above her - we wanted something not just as a visual reminder, but also fairly permanent, so that hopefully she won't be disturbed in years to come after we've moved on from here:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GacAAOSwbYFfynnS/s-l500.jpg

Reading the story of Coby and the TV had reminded me of an amusing instance with Sofka and a "DVD for cats" - and then during the week, when looking through photos that my wife had on her laptop, it turned out that were pictures of the occasion in question...

....the friend who was 'slashed' as recounted previously had three cats herself, and whenever she went away (half-a-dozen or so times a year), my wife would go in to feed them. On one occasion when I took her there on the way back from a day out, I went in with her, and was amazed to find a TV switched on - and learned it was deliberate, for the benefit of the youngest of the three, who didn't really socialise with the other two...

....on her return the friend always brought my wife a small 'thank you' present, and on a subsequent occasion, it was a DVD - designed to keep cats entertained while their owners were not around. Apparently her youngest spent hours watching the birds that were featured hopping around in a bush, so she bought one for Sofka...

....our main TV in the lounge was a plasma which gave off quite a bit of heat, so in case she tried to touch the screen, it was decided to play the disc on the bedroom LCD TV. We adjourned upstairs with the cat, turned on the TV, set the DVD playing, and sure enough, it immediately got her attention:

TV1.jpg.c3461d1f3ae2887477ff8e92cb1526f3.jpg

A few seconds later, she was up on the unit, and trying to peer around the ends of the screen to see where the birds were coming from and disappearing to - and then, according to the timestamps on the photos, within about thirty seconds:

TV2.jpg.abffb36bc0524b6271665e04633ffd4e.jpg

And that was it! She looked at us like we were idiots, left the room, and despite playing it for her a couple more times, she showed absolutely no further interest in her 'entertainment' whatsoever! I always maintained she was a very discerning creature...

Edited by andyf117
On 2/24/2021 at 1:40 PM, andyf117 said:

Thank you, gents...

Yesterday was a hard day, being one week on - touchingly, it was marked in the morning by the arrival of a condolences card from our vets. Though a 'corporate' item, the envelope was addressed by hand, and the message in the card was hand-written rather than pre-printed...

....as it got to mid-afternoon, I found myself constantly looking at the time, and variously thinking "this was when we left", and "this was our appointment time", but I have no idea of the exact time when 'our baby' went to sleep for the last time, nor when we got home - only that I'd then spent an hour or so preparing her final resting place in the garden while my wife wrapped her in a blanket that she liked to sleep on, placed inside a nice box. She loved to sit or lie in boxes - sometimes part of the attraction of my modelling table was a kit box lid...

Tomorrow will likely be equally hard, as we're expecting delivery of a rose bush that we are going to plant above her - we wanted something not just as a visual reminder, but also fairly permanent, so that hopefully she won't be disturbed in years to come after we've moved on from here:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GacAAOSwbYFfynnS/s-l500.jpg

Reading the story of Coby and the TV had reminded me of an amusing instance with Sofka and a "DVD for cats" - and then during the week, when looking through photos that my wife had on her laptop, it turned out that were pictures of the occasion in question...

....the friend who was 'slashed' as recounted previously had three cats herself, and whenever she went away (half-a-dozen or so times a year), my wife would go in to feed them. On one occasion when I took her there on the way back from a day out, I went in with her, and was amazed to find a TV switched on - and learned it was deliberate, for the benefit of the youngest of the three, who didn't really socialise with the other two...

....on her return the friend always brought my wife a small 'thank you' present, and on a subsequent occasion, it was a DVD - designed to keep cats entertained while their owners were not around. Apparently her youngest spent hours watching the birds that were featured hopping around in a bush, so she bought one for Sofka...

....our main TV in the lounge was a plasma which gave off quite a bit of heat, so in case she tried to touch the screen, it was decided to play the disc on the bedroom LCD TV. We adjourned upstairs with the cat, turned on the TV, set the DVD playing, and sure enough, it immediately got her attention:

TV1.jpg.c3461d1f3ae2887477ff8e92cb1526f3.jpg

A few seconds later, she was up on the unit, and trying to peer around the ends of the screen to see where the birds were coming from and disappearing to - and then, according to the timestamps on the photos, within about thirty seconds:

TV2.jpg.abffb36bc0524b6271665e04633ffd4e.jpg

And that was it! She looked at us like we were idiots, left the room, and despite playing it for her a couple more times, she showed absolutely no further interest in her 'entertainment' whatsoever! I always maintained she was a very discerning creature...

The rose bush is a great idea.  I brought inn flowers n plants and made a little shrine with my pups boxed ashes.  Bringing in the flowers brought some color and life into a cold, empty home.  Bringing in that but if beauty n vibrant life brought a bit of balance.  Wish you the best..it will slowly get better

On 2/16/2021 at 10:58 AM, VADM Fangschleister said:

Rescuing a dog or cat to a loving home is something I believe in and in time, I will likely go to a shelter and find a new pal but I'm not ready just yet as the pain still lingers.  But I know I will come around eventually.  

If possible I would recommend fostering. For us it meant helping out and having a dog in our life while we worked through the loss of our dog. No dog has felt right but foster dog #8 we might fail on and keep him. 
B7DvgHU.jpg
He is only a little bigger then our foster fail cats (x3). 

@Andy, sorry for your loss. I will probably be in that spot in 20 yrs. Having this guys since kittens will not be easy.

Fostering, rescuing..so many animals need a good home.  even going to a shelter just to play with or walk the animals there is a great volunteer activity.  They are caged up most of the day.  I'm on a waitlist to start training with my local ASPCA once the remaining lockdown restrictions go away.  Take care

I lost my good friend 2 years ago in January. For 14 years he was the best dog I ever had but liver cancer finally took him from us. I feel your pain and loss even after 2 years. I can truly say it never goes away. My good friend Gus is the pug on the right.

24909556-1838607119485844-75045252031970

Edited by Thunderchief105
42 minutes ago, Thunderchief105 said:

I lost my good friend 2 years ago in January. For 14 years he was the best dog I ever had but liver cancer finally took him from us. I feel your pain and loss even after 2 years. I can truly say it never goes away. My good friend Gus is the pug on the right.

24909556-1838607119485844-75045252031970

They are a gift for sure

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, Thunderchief105 said:

Thunderchief, 

I'll bet Gus was more fun than anyone could imagine.  I am also deeply moved by the responses here and the fact that people and their pets seem to make them more three-dimensional in the blog-o-sphere.   Models are great and that's why we come here but the people here are what make this a great site to come to and take the edge off our stresses and our fears and challenges.  

I have brought Coby's ashes 1500 miles back east to the home where I grew up.  My mom passed last September and I have to say, living here without her makes this one large, empty, cold place.   So many memories, the noises, the smells of home, the weather.  Much has been processed these past few weeks.  And Coby's ashes are in my room, with his photo and I still get a lump in my throat as I miss him as I'd miss my own arm.  

He loved it here with the woods to run around in, squirrels to chase and bark at and neighbors coming to say hello; His tail letting them know he was glad to see them and would they come and play.   

I've been interviewed by a rescue outfit for a female American Bulldog mix who is nursing puppies right now.  She will be back nearby in April and I will get to go meet her but I know it's not a guarantee.  According to her profile, she seems to be exactly the right fit for me.  I hope that I'm as suited to her as well.  We'll see.  

The harsh winter is about over.  No rush on anything and I'd like to get some projects going and get out to the flying field and do some RC as well as my RC sailboat for giggles.  I've been dabbling in wristwatch design and need to make some photo-etch items for completion.  Highly specialized and often owner-requested specific.  

I do wish Coby was here to share the last parts of my life but he's up there playing and having a ball, I'm sure.  This is as it should be.  How fortunate I was to share his life with mine and make sure he was healthy, well-fed and cared for and loved like no other being I've ever known.  He was worth every minute of it.  I weep as I say it and am not ashamed to admit it.  

Dogs are special.  They get to know us better than we know ourselves and even the worst of people among us can have a dog as a friend.  I do not know why this is but I think it has to do with the complete lack of judgment by the dog because they are pure in heart.  They overlook our faults and accept us as we are.   This must be as-intended to show us what unconditional love and loyalty are.   For all of it, I am grateful and even welcome the pain which lets me know it was of extreme value and counts high on the chart of life's tasks.