CD72121 - 1/72 EC-121 Part 3

One to consider for Part 3, "Deep Sea 129" of VQ-1. Shot down by N. Korea 15 April 1969. Not a whole lot in the way of markings, "PR" on the tail "21" on the nose, Bureau number 135749, and EC-121M under the tail empennage.

vq1ec-02-17feb2002-1.jpg

EC-121-Shootdown.jpg

Sweet!!! I agree with Whitey on Deep Sea 129.

is this going to be an EC only sheet?  If not, I would like to suggest a Jersey Guard medical transport C-121 if possible. Wyoming also had a medical mission in the -121 as well.  

How about ED-121D 53-555.  Triple Nickel served with Detachment 1 of the 552nd Airborne Early Warning and Control Wing known as "College Eye".  On Oct. 24 1967, Triple Nickel was orbiting over the Tonkin Gulf when it guided an F-4 from the 433rd TFS to intercept and destroy a MiG-21 during an attack on Phuc Yen airfield 18 miles northwest of Haiphong North Vietnam.  It was the first time in history where a fighter was successfully directed by an airborne radar control to engage and destroy an enemy aircraft.

Triple Nickel is now at the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio.  

On 1/13/2021 at 7:02 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

One to consider for Part 3, "Deep Sea 129" of VQ-1. Shot down by N. Korea 15 April 1969. Not a whole lot in the way of markings, "PR" on the tail "21" on the nose, Bureau number 135749, and EC-121M under the tail empennage.

vq1ec-02-17feb2002-1.jpg

EC-121-Shootdown.jpg

Just as an FYI, these markings were included in the 1/144 sheet that Kursad did (CD144010).   While no side profile is included in the instructions, the decals are included on the sheet.   In case anyone else other than me are planning to build this particular plane in 1/144.

4 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Just as an FYI, these markings were included in the 1/144 sheet that Kursad did (CD144010).   While no side profile is included in the instructions, the decals are included on the sheet.   In case anyone else other than me are planning to build this particular plane in 1/144.

Ahh, good to know. Thank you.

Like I said, not much to the markings, although a profile might be nice given the non standard manner of the "cheat line" ending (or beginning 🤔) just aft of the flight station. Other VQ-1 birds were the same while others had the line go to the cockpit side windows as shown below. I also tossed up that rear quarter view, it's a great shot showing the contours of the RADOME and underside fuselage, antenna placement, not to mention the placement of the "Type and BuNo."

VQ-1-s-PR-25-EC121-M-145940.jpg

119158739-10224625699376845-405727566566

Another plug for "Deep Sea 129" - or more accurately EC-121M BuNo 135749 / PR ("Peter Rabbit") 21.  The excellent "World Watchers: A Pictorial History of Electronic Countermeasures Squadron ONE (ECMRON-1) and Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron ONE (VQ-1)" from Ginter Books has numerous photos of VQ-1's special mission of EC-121s, including the ill-fated PR21.  Of note is that particular aircraft had a long association with VQ-1, being the first Navy EC-121 deployed to Vietnam in October 1964.  At the time she had the more traditional white over dark blue scheme - presumably she was later repainted to a "lighter" scheme that held up better in the tropical conditions of Southeast Asia.  Would be great to see both early and late Vietnam era markings for the this unique & tragic aircraft.

nSqrUc6.jpg

1zv4YlU.jpg

Despite the unsung nature of their "secret squirrel" missions, VQ-1 crews obviously had a little fun - like their improvised "GO NAVY" markings on the side of PR25.  Might also make a nice option!

3Jr96BM.jpg

Edited by scoobs
On 1/18/2021 at 12:37 AM, YF65_CH53E said:

Jus got the Heller 1/72 of this airplane. How bad or old is it?  Is there a better one in 1/72?

There are upgrades available. If you hit up eBay and search 1/72 EC-121, there is a RADOME correction by Ozmods.

There is also a boxing of that same Heller kit put out by "Plusmodel" that includes engine upgrades, detail parts in resin and photoetch, etc:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/plusmodel-al7010-ec-121-warning-star--317896

Fisher Models had great, great, great upgrades for the EC-121.  Unfortunately, they went out of business when a wild fire ravaged their home/workshop in Northern California a few years back.  All of those great resin models and upgrades are now rare.  

On 1/19/2021 at 2:42 PM, AD-4N said:

Fisher Models had great, great, great upgrades for the EC-121.  Unfortunately, they went out of business when a wild fire ravaged their home/workshop in Northern California a few years back.  All of those great resin models and upgrades are now rare.  

One of the last things I bought from Paul was the EC-121 upgrades.  Wish I had bought more.