Modeling "mojo" - is it a thing?

I just finished putting this video together and wanted to put the topic out there. We all lose our enthusiasm or just get frustrated with certain builds. Would you chalk it up to laziness, a poor build experience, or being distracted by other kits waiting in the wings? I'm not going to lie - if I hit a bump with a current build and there's a really nice kit in the stash waiting for me then I tend to set that rough kit aside for greener pastures. I hope you'll take a look and let me know where you fall on this issue.

Mojo appears somewhere in between fun and work. It goes both ways and if you do not posess harmony in life, you will have poor mojo. A proper balance is not easily achieved but you can find it if you look deep inside yourself. I am on the right track but have a long way to go. Wind in the sails !  

20 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

I think it does exist.  Usually a tamiya or a old school revell/monogram kit will me back.  I always need a "victory" to get me back on track.  

I agree - breaking out a kit that I can typically build out of the box and get good results tends to get me back on track.

15 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Something in me seems to cycle between genres of modeling on an as yet not discerned 'schedule' and if I try to work on something 'out of genre' it does not go well.

This has been observed for over 3 decades.

I don't know why the cycle or what causes the changes.

As far as genres - I dipped into naval stuff to break the aircraft rut I was in. I recently discovered that I really really enjoy the occasional armor kit, and they've worked their way into the mix as well. Never stalled out on an armor build...

10 hours ago, breadneck said:

Mojo appears somewhere in between fun and work. It goes both ways and if you do not posess harmony in life, you will have poor mojo. A proper balance is not easily achieved but you can find it if you look deep inside yourself. I am on the right track but have a long way to go. Wind in the sails !  

I find that once you reach a point in a build that it seems more like work than a hobby then that build stalls out for me. A good kit or a build that moves along without incident almost always gets done quickly.

Thanks for your responses and I hope you enjoyed the video.

John

I don't sit down and start a build unless I'm really into it..the kits in my stash are there because I know I'll be excited to build them..that's why I bought them in the first place.  Occasionally I'll lose my mojo during a build but I find putting out down n leaving it for a few days cures that.  

I believe modeling mojo is a thing, and I lose mine as often as I have it. For me personally, its a number of things. I just get burned out, and try something new. For awhile I was into model railroading (mid 90s to the 2000s) but then I started driving a truck, so I was never home to build, and the kit I took with me on the road was never finished. After I cam off the road, I was home to be a dad so I spent a lot of time being involved with my daughter and the youth program that my wife and I volunteered with at the time. I was back to building regularly, but then I started working two jobs for about 70 hours a week so my wife could stay home with the daughter. So I didnt build nearly as often. Then I was going to school for a year while working the two jobs, and our second child was born. So I didnt build at all. And then with a career change, we packed up and moved. Now, two years after the move, I have finally started building again. But, where we live, its cold and I dont have a shop, so I will build till spring. Once the weather warms up, I will be back out building 1/1 car projects. And then next fall when it cools down again, I will likely start building again, unless I set up my model RR layout.

So, too much *stuff* to share my interests with, not enough time...