1/32 Block 15 F-16A

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if anyone makes a resin 1/32 scale F-16A block 15 tail fin?  If not, is there any 1/32 scale F-16A kits that are block 15s?  Or finally, how could I convert the Tamiya Thunderbirds or Tamiya block 50 tail fin into a block 15 tail fin?  Any help more appreciated

Except the earliest releases with the small stabs, the Hasegawa F-16 kits are Block 15s.  For tails, the main difference between the A and C tails is the base, the front of which is shorter for the A.  I know at least PWMP made an A tail for the Tamiya kit.  One thing to consider on the Tamiya kit is that the top fuselage has a flat spot the the tail to sit on which is sized for the longer C tail base, so that I’ll need to be addressed.  Also, if you’re going to convert a Tamiya kit, the Thunderbirds kit is the better option of the two, since it has the NSI and P&W engine, which all A models used, and also has the original lightweight MLG.  HTH.

Thanks so much for the info.  Are the block 15 stabilators the same size as the block 30/32?  It was my understanding that the block 15 was the first to have the bigger stabs which were about 30% bigger than the previous blocks to give it more lift so it could carry heavier ground attack weapons?  

KASL makes resin tailfins for Block 20 F-16s that will fit the Tamiya kit.  Block 20 is a Taiwanese only version that is broadly similar to the Mid-Life Updated F-16A/B, that are broadly similar in capability to the Block 50, but retaining A/B size tailfins (differences are mainly in the cockpit).

The Tamiya Thunderbirds issue is like gold dust now, and the best starting point for an F-16A as Dave says.

Cool.  Who is KASL?  Yes the Thunderbirds kits are hard to get now and bring a huge dollar!!!!  I don't know why Tamiya discontinued it considering how popular the F16 is and how many versions there are and exports.  Tamiya should re-release it but bin the Thunderbirds decals and release it with some different decals of operational versions.

KASL Hobby is a Taiwanese company that makes resin conversions and detailing kits.  They sell on eBay, but also other outlets.  This is the resin part you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KASL-Hobby-1-32-F-16A-B-MLU-Vertical-Tail-conversion-for-Tamiya-kit-Resin/223665013590?hash=item3413794356:g:YwAAAOSwUalcBphg

To make a proper Block 15 tail, you need to modify the top of the tailfin as the wedge shape for the radar warning receiver antennas mirrors that of the C-models (this is particular to the Block 20 jets).  The A/B models has a more curved fairing for the antenna that was bulging only over the rudder.  Check your references for this area.  If you are building a European Block 15, like Norwegian or Dutch, you will need to add antennas either side of the brake chute housing (not included in the resin conversion), the Belgian aircraft used the same housing, but fitted an electronics container inside for the ECM system they used (Carapace I believe).  IF you are building a Danish or US Block 15, then you will need to modify the tail to remove the parabrake housing.  KASL Hobby makes the standard tailfin as well (without brake chute housing), but only in 1:48.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, Modelkeenfan said:

Thanks for that.  I was interested in the Indonesian block 15 so anything special to the Indonesian version to change on the block 20 tail?

Indonesia also flies Block 25s taken from surplus USAF stock.  That may be an easier option since you can build it straight from the T-birds boxing.

Jake

• 3 weeks later...