CD48202 - 1/48 USAF F-104 Starfighter

This will be a 1/48 scale sheet for silver / ADC gray F-104A/C of various USAF units - I already covered Vietnam examples in CD48102, which was reprinted twice. Some colorful 479th TFW aircraft, maybe 83th / 319th /538th FIS as well - and maybe a YF-104 or two if there is space. Let me know what you would like to see on it so I can get this done pretty soon.

I will scale this down to 1/72 as well.

Happy to hear about this one...a must have for me!

As you're soliciting suggestions, how about including a "family model" for variety's sake, like this F-104B of the 331st FIS?

2KVZ1RO.jpg

If you're feeling really ambitious, I'd love to see a USAF F-104 data sheet in the form of maintenance stencils, each individual marking set against a rectangular silver background, a style commonly seen on TAC and ADC birds of the 1960s, particularly Starfighters.

It made for a distinctive, speckled look as seen here...

iMJuXXN.jpg

Edited by RichB63

The Air Force Flight Test Center had some pretty cool looking single and two seat Starfighters with a partial red with bare metal colour scheme.

I was going to say don't forget the 69th TFTS at Luke AFB but those were the G model so outside the scope of this sheet.

Would there be some demand for a F-104A/C stencils and FG- codes sheet in the 'Basics' range?

Michael

PS: I'm in, send some to Hannants!

On 1/16/2021 at 1:04 PM, phantom said:

ADC huh? Perhaps that Starfighter that intercepted that big UFO in 1967, got crushed and crashed in Montana.  It would be an Enterprising sheet.

Well played.  Little known fact:  the son of that F-104 pilot, Colonel Shaun Geoffrey Christopher, was the commander of the first successful mission to Saturn in the early 21st Century.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:14 PM, skyhawk524 said:

I think the NF-104A would be a welcome addition. Cutting Edge put them on a sheet that is now made of unobtanium or goes for $100 on eBay IF it pops up. 

Agree.....in 1/72, and why not some Edwards Test and X-15 chase planes as well. 

F-104D Edwards

Chasing Starfighter

Pllleeaaaaaseeeee!

6 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

I think he could do a sheet of just the test/chase aircraft.   NF-104 would be awesome, but we need a new conversion too...

Wolfpack Design have a forthcoming NF-104A conversion according to their list.

I think the test / drone aircraft alone could fill up a sheet - I had early operational F-104A/B and perhaps the C's of 479TFW in mind. I will plan to have another sheet for test aircraft, including the NF-104 : with the help of a common stencilling / general marking sheet, this would be a nice modular set of releases for Spring. 

14 hours ago, MartynCLT said:

An answer to my prayers -- a 1/72 scale sheet of all the colorful 479th Starfighters ( besides Lavin's ). It can't come out too soon!!

It's too bad that the 1/72 scale Rocketeer decal sheet featuring all of the 479th's squadrons (PLUS Lavin's birds) didn't get much traction when it came out about 10 years ago. They were a small outfit in Japan, and their sheets were terrific. But they went belly up a few years ago. 

20 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

It's too bad that the 1/72 scale Rocketeer decal sheet featuring all of the 479th's squadrons (PLUS Lavin's birds) didn't get much traction when it came out about 10 years ago. They were a small outfit in Japan, and their sheets were terrific. But they went belly up a few years ago. 

That's the one I was thinking about, the "NASA Progressors" sheet.

I have been searching it forever, together with the early NASA sheet, until the Caracal sheet was released.

When do you think this sheet will be available, and what options are you leaning towards? I'm building an F-104 now by happenstance, and I've got to decide if I want to paint it in natural metal for this sheet, or use the Vietnam camo decals I've already got.  

Sorry, it is still in planning phase and I do not have an estimated release date beyond "May-July 2021". As I mentioned in the thread, it will definitely have 479th TFW aircraft, and a combination of 83th / 319th /538th FIS jets. Beyond that, I can't say anything.

• 1 month later...