CD48202 - 1/48 USAF F-104 Starfighter

Stumbled across this forum while looking for F-104A 319th FIS 1/72 decals and have come up empty after diving thru Amazon, Ebay, Microscale and other webistes.  My Dad flew with the 319th FIS and found he had a brand new ESCI LOCKHEED F-104C model kit bought who knows when and wanted to pay tribute to him.  

Looks like it has been well over a year since this discussion has been active but if anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by C6GSTX
On 7/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, C6GSTX said:

Stumbled across this forum while looking for F-104A 319th FIS 1/72 decals and have come up empty after diving thru Amazon, Ebay, Microscale and other webistes.  My Dad flew with the 319th FIS and found he had a brand new ESCI LOCKHEED F-104C model kit bought who knows when and wanted to pay tribute to him.  

Looks like it has been well over a year since this discussion has been active but if anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated!

Microscale Decals 72-340 has the 319th markings. There’s a current US eBay listing for one.

dikIN5s.jpg

Edited by RichB63
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 9:05 AM, Crown R n7 said:

I found the right post. I would like to see this decal sheet made, I would build the 319th in ADC grey .

I visited the 319th FIS web page and a gentleman who corresponded with my Dad sent many several clear photos of the F-104A.  I also discovered not all of the USAF's F-104A's had the same paint scheme and varied based on squadron.

I don't know what Flight my Dad was assigned to get the right color (Blue, Red, Yellow) and hope my Mother remembers.

56-851 F-104A 319FIS Andrews_07may64_StephenMiller_a.jpg

56-851 F-104A 319FIS Andrews_07may64_StephenMiller_b.jpg

56-851 F-104A 319FIS Andrews_07may64_StephenMiller_c.jpg

Habu2,

See page 2 of this thread. It is a stylized letter with corresponding color for the flight within the squadron: black A on yellow background; white B on red background, white C on blue background.  I am not sure what color combo is used for D flight.  Oh, the forward portion of the shock cone and intake lip also carry the flight color.

HTH, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
56 minutes ago, habu2 said:

What is the logo/symbol at the base of the rudder, just aft of the serial number?

Oftentimes a squadron of aircraft is broken down into alphanumeric sub-components, or Flights, in this case A, B and C Flights, colored yellow, red and blue, respectively.

Photographs of 319th FIS Starfighters in their later years of service (1966 on) do not show these color markings. The “Buzz Numbers” appear to have been removed too as in this image, circa 1966.

CXyoEby.jpg

Edited by RichB63
2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Page 2 ?  I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.....  ☹️

Thanks for the Intel 👍

I had two large eggs whipped into an omelet with Mexican shredded cheese on a Mission tortilla and two cups of DD coffee. It is what I have every morning for breakfast. 😎

On 9/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, AD-4N said:

Goodness me, ADC gray Starfighters are gorgeous.  

It took me a while, sifting thru various model color charts, to find what appears to be the correct ADC Grey shade for the 319FiS F-104A.

Back to work on the cockpit...

Screenshots_2022-09-13-13-09-24_(1).png

Edited by C6GSTX
On 9/12/2022 at 12:11 PM, KursadA said:

These are great photos - I already drew the artwork for 319 FIS jets and they will be on the sheet.

That is great and I bookmarked your website.  Will you have a 1/72 319FiS sheet, too?  The 1/48 sheet I bought on eBay only had the "B" Flight designator for the tail and my Mom remembers "Yellow" markings on the F-104A my Dad flew, which would place him on A-Flight.  Now, I have to attempt to match painting the font & thickness while not screwing up!

Edited by C6GSTX
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking foward to getting a sheet! You always do awesome subjects! I still have a ways to go before I'm at the decal stage as I just started on it two days ago, so no worries.

Edited by caudleryan
On 9/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, RichB63 said:

Oftentimes a squadron of aircraft is broken down into alphanumeric sub-components, or Flights, in this case A, B and C Flights, colored yellow, red and blue, respectively.

Photographs of 319th FIS Starfighters in their later years of service (1966 on) do not show these color markings. The “Buzz Numbers” appear to have been removed too as in this image, circa 1966.

CXyoEby.jpg

That looks like Miami Beach and the curved building is "The Fountainbleau" Hotel.    Thanks for sharing!

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, phantom said:

ADC huh? Perhaps that Starfighter that intercepted that big UFO in 1967, got crushed and crashed in Montana.  It would be an Enterprising sheet.

I gather that the pilot was never found..

1 hour ago, hemspilot said:

I gather that the pilot was never found..

Naw, Capt. Christopher showed up again. Remember , without him his son Col Shawn Christopher would never have led the first mission to Saturn.