TOPGUN F-14A in Iranian Markings

Nice to see the Academy kit brought out, I will use the same for my VF-154 entry.

I saw on my copy that the kit takes some cleanup effort.

Looking forward to your build!

Blue skies,

Andy

Yeah, it has 4-9s and 4-7s for on the wings.  The kit also includes 2 drop tanks, 1 TARPS pod and 4 AIM-54s for under the fuselage.  Not sure how they changed the spues over the years if they did at all.  This boxing has a 2001 copyright on the instructions.

I was looking at the sprues for their VF-1 boxing of this kit and I don't see the pieces to make the 4 Aim-9's work. The 4 missiles are there, but only 2 rails and the pylons provided only give you the choice of the Sparrow or Phoenix missiles. 

Your right that there is only 2 rails in the kit.  There are two different pylons but that doesn't help either.  I'll have to see what I have in the spares box or do some surgery on the pylons to look like what I need.  I'm going to have to fab the left one to hold 2 sidewinders and lop off a bunch on the right one.  Not sure what the Hasegawa weapons kits have in them either.

doc2-109.jpg

doc2-108.jpg

doc2-110.jpg

Edited by Spectre711
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the old Academy kit. My very first model. I probably built a dozen of them over the years. Was reboxed by a polish company with awesome VF-114 boxart... https://www.scalemates.com/pl/kits/design-7210-grumman-f-14-tomcat--204837

Keeping my fingers crossed. Awesome choice of the camo. IRIAF F-14's look amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately other than some cockpit basic painting I havnt really done anything.  My uncle passed away and my time has been taken up the past few weeks cleaning out his house.  Maybe later this week or the weekend Ill start back up.

I did find these in his safe though.  He worked for Raytheon.

20210225_102131.jpg

• 4 weeks later...