Zvezda 1/72 Su-57 Bort 053

Greetings!

I have recently completed Zvezda's Su-57 model in 1/72 scale.  I chose Bort 053 for it's different digital camo pattern: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9443536

I used a camo mask from eBay, the ResKit engines (https://reskit.com.ua/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=676), some Eduard cockpit details, numerous decals (Zvezda, Begemot, and Wolfpak), and added a couple antennas that seem particular to this jet.

Paints were mostly Model Master with the light blue being a custom mix attempting to match pictures.

Here are some pictures of the completed model:

su-57-053-2.jpg

su-57-053-3.jpg

su-57-053-4.jpg

su-57-053-5.jpg

su-57-053-6.jpg

su-57-053-7.jpg

Comparison with Zvezda's original model (which I evidently built 10 years ago?!?, seems so long ago...)

su-57-053-11.jpg

And with its (in-progress) buddy S-70:

su-57-053-12.jpg

Also, it was not until I was almost done that I remembered/realized that 053 is an early prototype that has some differences with that of the later prototypes that the kit better represents (namely engine grills and refueling probe panels).  The quest to build a perfect model continues 😉 .

Happy to answer any questions.

Edited by Van Buren Boys
13 hours ago, Van Buren Boys said:

Also, it was not until I was almost done that I remembered/realized that 053 is an early prototype that has some differences with that of the later prototypes that the kit better represents (namely engine grills and refueling probe panels).  The quest to build a perfect model continues 😉 .

Yes, the new Su-57 kit from Zvezda represents "Phase 2" frames starting from T-50-6-2. There is a bunch of differences but i would argue the biggest one is the stinger. It is much longer on Phase 2 frames and slightly different shape, compare your build vs the linked T-50-3 pic. 🙂

But excellent build and nice to see the Su-57 kit being built, especially in this unique scheme. Could you show exactly what masking you used and what is your experience with using it? This is the part i a most worried about when i am going to finally build a T-50 myself, having been wanting to for over a decade now... (avoided to build the original Zvezda T-50 kit cause it was a complete accuracy mess)

I guess the S-70 is the Arma models resin kit? Getting quite the T-50 collection, just need to "close the loop" with the delivered serial frame. 😉

Thanks Ryan & Berkut!

2 hours ago, Berkut said:

But excellent build and nice to see the Su-57 kit being built, especially in this unique scheme. Could you show exactly what masking you used and what is your experience with using it?

It would seem I used the Arma Models mask: https://arma-models.ru/catalog/bumazhnye_maski/am72135_maska_okrasochnaya_dlya_novogo_su_57_7319_dlya_sozdaniya_kamuflyazha_okhotnik_1_72/

The mask material is quite a bit thicker than say Tamiya tape, but still very flexible.  Overall I was very pleased with the mask.  There were times the pieces did not line up exactly and I had to cut some tape to bridge the gap, but that was easy enough to handle.  

2 hours ago, Berkut said:

I guess the S-70 is the Arma models resin kit? Getting quite the T-50 collection, just need to "close the loop" with the delivered serial frame. 😉

And yes that is the Arma S-70 resin kit.  As far as building a serial frame, I'm worried I won't be able to recreate the new scoop design under the left vertical stab...maybe I'll eventually build T-50-6-2, T-50-9,-10, or -11 😉