some white paint help please!!! (jets)

I'm tired of fighting white paint when it comes to aircraft landing gear and Russian missiles!! nothing seems to work, I've tried just about ever brand, even tried priming, cleaning the part etc, and still have horrible coverage...so I would appreciate a lillte help please! using an AWATA BCS dual action airbrush....thanks so much!! posted this in "General Discssion" but since it applies to Jet aircraft I wanted to post it here too...thanks

2 hours ago, bdt13 said:

Have you tried Stynylrez from Badger? I have used their white, gray, and black versions of this acrylic primer and have been happy with the results. Goes on thin and sands nicely, thinning down like plastic or good putty rather than peeling off like latex wall paint. Link to the manufacturer's site

I use it, and think it’s great, but while it self levels and dries thin, it’s not thin out of the bottle.  It’s fairly thick, and I use an airbrush with a 0.5 needle to spray it because it’s too thick for my normal 0.35 needle.  Also, not sure what thins it.  I’ve started trying Ammo Mig thinner because supposedly their one shot primer is the same thing.  Finally, cleaning the airbrush and color cup can be a chore since it dries pretty quickly and most cleaners, including Badger’s recommended Flex cleaner, don’t seem to do a good job of dissolving the dried paint.  The only thing I’ve found that work well is the MM Acryl dried paint remover.  Stynylrez is good stuff, but there is definitely a bit of a learning curve.

20 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

It’s fairly thick, and I use an airbrush with a 0.5 needle to spray it because it’s too thick for my normal 0.35 needle.

Have you tried spraying it at 30 psi to push it through the small nozzle opening?  This is one drawback of the product since it needs to be sprayed at a fairly high pressure.

I use MM Acryl semi gloss white for most landing gear and missile business. It usually takes 2-3 light coats of paint. I thin it with water, to about 3/4 density I'd normally spray it. So it's a bit thicker. No wet coat, I sort of mist the elements. I never achieved anything similar with Gunze or Tamiya acrylics. I recently did something like that. I black based wheel wells, painted them white in 3 passes. The gear covers were painted in 2 passes. They are significantly more white since I did not black base them.

ACtC-3cPInGhSW4vlLROmI32H2bD7Tp-ylnx6BAa

On 1/18/2021 at 9:48 AM, Dave Williams said:

I use it, and think it’s great, but while it self levels and dries thin, it’s not thin out of the bottle.  It’s fairly thick, and I use an airbrush with a 0.5 needle to spray it because it’s too thick for my normal 0.35 needle.  Also, not sure what thins it.  I’ve started trying Ammo Mig thinner because supposedly their one shot primer is the same thing.  Finally, cleaning the airbrush and color cup can be a chore since it dries pretty quickly and most cleaners, including Badger’s recommended Flex cleaner, don’t seem to do a good job of dissolving the dried paint.  The only thing I’ve found that work well is the MM Acryl dried paint remover.  Stynylrez is good stuff, but there is definitely a bit of a learning curve.

Hardware store lacquer thinner cleans it up like a champ

I find Alcad white primer to have great coverage and really bites into the plastic. I also use black primer and build layers of white over that, seems to help you see the thin layers gradually build up and give full coverage 

10 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The entire point of me using acrylic paints is to avoid using smelly lacquer thinner.

I have similar reservations, as my modeling space is "landlocked" and I cannot run a fume hood. I spray only acrylic, but my final airbrush cleaning after the air is off and I have disassembled the brush is to wipe everything down with some lacquer thinner. I keep the gloves and respirator on for that part. Not too much odor/fumes from that as the volumes are much smaller and I do not atomize the lacquer by spraying.