A quick (almost) OOB Spitfire build for my desk at work, and a lesson learned

Trying to just have fun with these Airfix kits.  This is their PR XIX done up with Xtradecal X48-118  for RM643/Z.  The only non-OOB part is the exhaust stacks.  Clear glue still drying in the camera ports.  Overall....a fun quick build.

Marbled on a PRU Blue color from SMS....great paint.  Xtradecals....great as well.

Kudo's to Airfix for allowing in-flight builds....they give you the parts to build gear up which I really appreciate (wish all kits did this).  The issue I have is the pilot figures.  I painted the kit pilot up and it really looked great.  To get him to fit in the cockpit...I ended up cutting away about 2/3rd's of him to get him to fit (legs gone...backside...gone, lower back...gone).  Very frustrating...but it's a Spitfire cockpit...can't see anything anyway.  

LESSON LEARNED:  I will never build another in-flight kit and attach the canopy BEFORE I paint and finish. This is the second or third build I have had fogging on the inside of the clear parts after I thought all the glue had set and off-gassed.  This could also be paint and overcoat fumes sneaking in during the painting process.  Regardless...I will improved my builds by adding the canopies as one of the last steps of the build.  Lesson learned.  

So off to the work desk she goes....to keep my two Mosquitos company.  

Cheers

Collin

jLetoJv.jpgfAEwjtQ.jpgeYXtQqA.jpg

Very nice model, especially the weathering, and thanks for that canopy tip!   I've had my share of canopy woes.   I once cleaned the F-14 cockpit thoroughly and glued on the canopy so that no dust can get in.  And when I say glued on I mean sealed.  I used Tamiya thin glue and even filled the seams.   The following day I saw big specks of dust (or sanding particles?) on the inside wall of the canopy and all I could do is stare.  No amount of shaking would make them fall off.  It taught me never to glue canopies on again. 

I had another build, though, where I painted the canopy separately (several weeks after) and, strangely, I couldn't match the fuselage shade.   I'll paint my canopies separately next time, but within the same painting session.  

One other thing... are your canopies dipped in Future?  I read somewhere that it prevents clouding when gluing mirrors on with CA (i still use white glue, though).  I thought maybe it might protect from fogging as well from paint gases?

Edited by crackerjazz

That satin coat look soooo good. Yeah, those airfix pilots do need a lot of amputation don't they 😄 Poor fellas.

My last two builds were messed up due to fogged up clear parts. I've gotta try dipping them in future to seal the plastic with a non-reactive over-coat. I'd much rather have the clear parts attached on especially in cases where the fit is iffy and might require filling/ sanding at the joint.

Beautiful job on the Spitfire.  I have had the same issue with canopy fogging.  I have started inserting cotton balls inside around the cockpit to prevent dust and fumes from getting into the cockpit once it is closed up.  

Geoff M

10 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

Beautiful job on the Spitfire.  I have had the same issue with canopy fogging.  I have started inserting cotton balls inside around the cockpit to prevent dust and fumes from getting into the cockpit once it is closed up.  

Geoff M

Not a bad idea, thanks for the tip. Might try it on my current in-flight build. 

Cheers

Collin