VH-3D Marine One question

Leaving aside the politics (please) I was watching Marine One taking off this morning and I noticed that the undercarriage wasn't retracted. I wondered if that was a specific procedure or just due to the short flying time to JRB Andrews.

48 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Why don't they use the VH-60 in CONUS?

Tim

The H-3 has more room and is much more comfortable to fly in. Passengers can stand up in the H-3; which is impossible in the H-60. Also, in the H-3 everyone is seated by a window in regular airline type seats, which most people who don't like flying appreciate.

Mig

4 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Why don't they use the VH-60 in CONUS?

Tim

They do but it seems limited (impromptu visits like natural disaster vs scheduled visits with long lead times) and probably for the reasons Mig mentioned. 

• 2 years later...

My first reply vanished. Where was the picture taken? At the old Navy Yard? It is most likely an advanced mission for an upcoming lift since the copilot is in a flight suite. Could be moving lower level VIPs also. In the old days if it was a Presidential lift there would be displayed a number 1 on both sides of the cabin. One (1) for Marine One = President. If it was a 2 that would =vice president and Marine 2. There would also be the President shield on the nose either side. If it was a lift for a head of state, I have some pictures of me with a mission for the French President on another post, There is a number 1 but the call sign is Knight hawk 1 not Marine one.

The VH-60 took the place of the Huey's. Space is tight so they are only used when necessary, The VH-3s have a toilet and semi wet bar, coffee etc and space to walk around. The sound proofing is very good and they have heat and A/c. The older green paint was a lot nicer. Part Marine green and part army green. I don't remember when this new green came about but in my opinion it is ugly.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:30 PM, Bill K said:

My first reply vanished. Where was the picture taken? At the old Navy Yard? It is most likely an advanced mission for an upcoming lift since the copilot is in a flight suite. Could be moving lower level VIPs also. In the old days if it was a Presidential lift there would be displayed a number 1 on both sides of the cabin. One (1) for Marine One = President. If it was a 2 that would =vice president and Marine 2. There would also be the President shield on the nose either side. If it was a lift for a head of state, I have some pictures of me with a mission for the French President on another post, There is a number 1 but the call sign is Knight hawk 1 not Marine one.

The VH-60 took the place of the Huey's. Space is tight so they are only used when necessary, The VH-3s have a toilet and semi wet bar, coffee etc and space to walk around. The sound proofing is very good and they have heat and A/c. The older green paint was a lot nicer. Part Marine green and part army green. I don't remember when this new green came about but in my opinion it is ugly.

Great extra intel, Bill. Thanks.

No, it was taken at Atlantic Aviation's ramp. I heard the Ospreys and went to catch them, when the -60's appeared from around the corner. 
Staging makes sense, as they hangared them for a few days. Thursday morning (9 March) when I left for Maine, they were out and ready again, with several SUVs and airstairs for some airliner than I never saw. 

Cheers,

Jeff

Something that I just remembered about the VH-3s with retractable landing gear. During a lift the crew chief handled the gear, tail wheel lock pin and the forward lower red rotating light. The light stayed off after lift off until the gear came up so not to effect the press photographers, it was just the opposite during landing. On the SH-3Gs and the VH-3As the crew chief knelled or would crouch between the pilot and copilot seats. On the VH-3Ds  a fold down jump was installed in that location. The D models came from the factory without the sponson flotation gear. I don't recall anyone at the time that was happy with that decision. The Army crashed a VH-3A into the water in Florida in May 1973 and killed a secret service agent. That was fresh in our mind. They also found out that air stair doors don't work well upside down in water.