1/144 C-130E/H Decals Dyess AFB 70s-80s

Need some help, I'm doing a 130 and wanted to do it in the Camo that was around during the 70's and 80's before Euro1. Was wondering if anyone makes decals for this paint scheme in 1/144, and if possible with the 463rd markings when they flew out of Dyess?

Thank you

From Patrick Martin's book "Tail Code", 463rd TAW C-130Es were assigned to TAC, at Dyess AFB, TX and coded "DB" from 1972-1/12/1974, when they were transferred to MAC and acquired the Blue/Yellow MAC tail band, later deleted in toned down markings in early 1980s.  Units include:

18th TATS, C-7A 1/6/72-25/8/72

47th TAS, C-130E 6/7/73-1/8/73

772nd TAS, C-130E 1/6/72-1/12/74

773rd TAS, C-130E 1/6/72-1/12/74

774th TAS, C-130E 1/8/73-1/12/74

I love those scalloped camo demarcation lines.

Edited by Dutch
added links

If it was like many other Herck squadrons, they were trash haulers and traveled all over the place.  Sometimes we would get a Dyess ship at Little Rock and we would send a few into Texas.  Hopefully they would pick up some Coors and bring it back across the border.  Ours would go as far as Alaska and bring back king crabs in the cargo deck or inside the tail.  We also deployed to England or Germany and run shuttle flights back and forth to whatever base they went to.

Back then we were MAC units.

I did catch a shot of a C-130 at the base I was assigned to on my second tour with teh tail code of DY in white.  This one had four blades and pylon tanks so it was most likely a "E" model.

Back in the 60s many transports still were silver.  I don't think they started painting the jungle scheme until the late 60s because in 1971 on my first tour most anything that landed on our base was cammoflaged.  The exceptions being the T-39, C-140, C-141A and C-5A.

Also there is a possibility that the aircraft you want to do may have still had a "Roman Nose" instead of teh larger radome that came later and is still in use today.

On 2/9/2021 at 11:32 AM, ikar said:

If it was like many other Herck squadrons, they were trash haulers and traveled all over the place.  Sometimes we would get a Dyess ship at Little Rock and we would send a few into Texas.  Hopefully they would pick up some Coors and bring it back across the border.  Ours would go as far as Alaska and bring back king crabs in the cargo deck or inside the tail.  We also deployed to England or Germany and run shuttle flights back and forth to whatever base they went to.

Back then we were MAC units.

I did catch a shot of a C-130 at the base I was assigned to on my second tour with teh tail code of DY in white.  This one had four blades and pylon tanks so it was most likely a "E" model.

Back in the 60s many transports still were silver.  I don't think they started painting the jungle scheme until the late 60s because in 1971 on my first tour most anything that landed on our base was cammoflaged.  The exceptions being the T-39, C-140, C-141A and C-5A.

Also there is a possibility that the aircraft you want to do may have still had a "Roman Nose" instead of teh larger radome that came later and is still in use today.

The 130 I want to do is a E or H model like was at Dyess in the early 80's a standard trash hauler with camo and white bottom with a MAC band on the tail. Never saw a Roman Nosed 130 when I would visit my dad in his office. 

Most roman noses by that time were display pieces or in the guard and reserve units or had been modified to have the usual radome.

One thing that was going on in the very late 70s with some squadrons was that the cammoflage on the right side of the tail, I think it was they snuck a outline of their state into the pattern in the middle of the tail.  Eventually M.A.C. caught on and they had to be repainted.

The Dyess ships should have had S.K.I. domes and possible the Omega nav. unit installed with its piece mounted on the upper cargo door or under the duck tail if it was.

4 hours ago, ikar said:

Most roman noses by that time were display pieces or in the guard and reserve units or had been modified to have the usual radome.

One thing that was going on in the very late 70s with some squadrons was that the cammoflage on the right side of the tail, I think it was they snuck a outline of their state into the pattern in the middle of the tail.  Eventually M.A.C. caught on and they had to be repainted.

The Dyess ships should have had S.K.I. domes and possible the Omega nav. unit installed with its piece mounted on the upper cargo door or under the duck tail if it was.

Texas Air Guard did that.  Looked really nice too.

• 1 year later...