Su-27UB 'Flanker-C' (GWH 1:48)

I really hope you get the primer thing sorted so you can continue this fantastic build!

Just a small input from my own experience: Over the last decade or so, I have experimented with lots of different primers. Before that, I used only Mr Surfacer, but it became quite difficult to find so I went on an experimentation spree. I have gone full circle and I'm back to Mr Surfacer. It is the one primer with which I have simply never had a problem. Happily, it is now also available in most local hobby shops around me.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:28 PM, BastianD said:

Not sure if you wish to use acrylic primer, but my experience with Valeo primer is excellent: it levels put great and panel lines etc stay perfectly visible.

I don't have a preference of the type, as long as it works. I've had really great results with their Grey primer, but Black failed me on first try. Off to Surfacer 1500 Black.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:59 AM, Curt B said:

Sebastian, first off, spectacular work so far!  I must ask...for the nose wheel bay, how did you get the piping (the white ones) so perfectly painted?  Even if I were to use a tiny brusk, and use these of it to brush those lines, I would not be able to get them so perfectly uniform!  How did you do it?

Secondly, I am terribly sorry about your primer situation.  When you refer to Ammo primer, were you using One Shot, as Mario asked?  If so, and it didn't level, I'm concerned, as One Shot and Badger Stynylrez are my go to primers these days, and they have let me down...yet.  As much as I am a fanatic for lacquer based paints, I've stayed away from lacquer primers, though they are probably best, due to their ability to 'bite' into the plastic.  In fact, I used white Stynylrez on my current project, and it went down perfectly as always.

And lastly, with your modeling skills as good as they are, PLEASE don't let this discouragement turn you off to modeling!  Heck, I'd buy you a replacement kit if you're that concerned about the primer situation, just to see you finish the thing!

Thank you, Curt. Actually I do it just as you've described it. 00 brush and Mr.Paint acrylic paints (aluminum in this case). I also use optivisor for such detail work which helps immensely. Recently I've been playing a bit with figure painting so I got a little bit more confidence in brush painting.

Yeah One Shot. Grey has served me well, but Black just didn't work. 

Ah no worries. Albeit my hobbies are suffering at the moment due to increased stress at work (on the job training for joint tower/approach ATC) and longer summer days combined with parenting, I haven't stopped modelling. I will build a few kits now, just to get the joy back and deal with Su-27 after the summer. I noticed Mr. Levelling Thinner doesn't damage plastic yet removes the primer, so this will my 'go-to' solution.

On 5/29/2021 at 8:59 AM, Mfezi said:

I really hope you get the primer thing sorted so you can continue this fantastic build!

Just a small input from my own experience: Over the last decade or so, I have experimented with lots of different primers. Before that, I used only Mr Surfacer, but it became quite difficult to find so I went on an experimentation spree. I have gone full circle and I'm back to Mr Surfacer. It is the one primer with which I have simply never had a problem. Happily, it is now also available in most local hobby shops around me.

Thank you for your kind words.

I have never used Surfacer as a primer before, but guess what. I just received two bottles of Mr.S 1500 Black. I've had enough of experimenting as well, I guess 😄

1 hour ago, Sebastijan said:

I have never used Surfacer as a primer before, but guess what. I just received two bottles of Mr.S 1500 Black. I've had enough of experimenting as well, I guess 😄

I think you will not be disappointed😄. I highly recommend that you thin it with Mr Leveling Thinner - you can thin it however much you need to be able to spray it. I like it quite thin to make sure it doesn't affect surface details. Let us know how it goes!