To fill up some space on a homemade decal sheet - primarily for a Canadian CH-147F - I've included serials, tailcodes, etc., for a handful of Air Force Hueys, including some red and white examples as pictured below...

....I'm fairly certain that most of them were finished using FS12197 International Orange as per TO 1-1-4 - looking carefully at the photos, in most cases there is a distinct difference between the main areas and the FS11136 Insignia Red used for national insignia or other markings...

Hill HH-1H:

49746768831_713b066e17_k.jpg

Nellis UH-1N:

32988619648_2fb63da800_o.jpg

Edwards UH-1N:

Bell_UH-1N_Iroquois_(212),_USA_-_Air_For

However, in photos from articles dated as recently as Nov 2020, Eglin's Hueys appear to have darker noses and tails, matching the Insignia Red of other markings - simple 'colour picking' in a graphics suite seems to indicate that's the case, but can anyone confirm, please?

201123-F-OC707-0103.JPG

150224-F-OC707-009.JPG

150224-F-OC707-011.JPG

Edited by andyf117

The first photo was taken a long time ago..note the helicopter is one of the rare (30) HH-1Hs the Air Force bought for local crash rescue circa 1970 to supplement the outgoing HH-43s. Also not it has a AF Systems Command logo, AFSC merged with AF Logistics Command in 1991 to form AF Material Command. 

Can't help you with the color...I have the 1-1-0  in my copy it says Arctic Markings, then leaves it blank. I have noted that in many old photos, arctic markings were often a darker red, as seen in your first photo,  not International Orange. I wonder if it wasn't insignia red, but it dulls and turns darker over time. 

Remember too, the red on the star and bar is printed on a decal and not paint, so it would age/weather differently.

3 hours ago, JohnEB said:

The first photo was taken a long time ago..note the helicopter is one of the rare (30) HH-1Hs the Air Force bought for local crash rescue circa 1970 to supplement the outgoing HH-43s. Also not it has a AF Systems Command logo, AFSC merged with AF Logistics Command in 1991 to form AF Material Command. 

Can't help you with the color...I have the 1-1-0  in my copy it says Arctic Markings, then leaves it blank. I have noted that in many old photos, arctic markings were often a darker red, as seen in your first photo,  not International Orange. I wonder if it wasn't insignia red, but it dulls and turns darker over time. 

Remember too, the red on the star and bar is printed on a decal and not paint, so it would age/weather differently.

That H was one of four - 70-2460, 70-2470, 70-2484, and 70-2485 - transferred to Hill AFB from Det 4, 37th ARRS, when their mission at Little Rock AFB ended in 1987 with the deactivation of the 308th SMW. At the time, three wore 'European 1' camouflage and one (2484) was in grey and white, and all were subsequently repainted "orange and white" - the photo is captioned as taken in March 1992...

International Orange is known to sometimes photograph as red - hence some decal manufacturers incorrectly quoting "Insignia Red" in their instructions back in the day - but as can be seen in the first three pics above, can have an orange hue. It's the more recent - digital - photos of the Eglin birds, however, that I'm querying...  

The Eglin birds are a different red than the Edwards aircraft. The Eglin aircraft used the same scheme as the Indian Springs aircraft did in the 1980s with insignia red as the color.

The Edwards color isn't international orange but it's not insignia red either unless it's really faded. I don't think that the AF would have slightly different shades for the same thing but weirder things have happened.

Edit: I think that the Edwards scheme is International Orange. This 416 FLTS F-16 is International Orange based on all of the decal sheets for it. And it makes sense they’d use the same paint.

1302592-large.jpg

Also the roundel is not a decal. It's stenciled and painted on.

69-661357FWWIndianSpringsMarch1982ScottR

DF-SC-82-00729.jpeg

Edited by Clinstone