Help Detailing landing gear

Hey guys you we all such good help on my white paint questions that I hope you can help me with another question. I work in 1/48 and 1/32 mainly and I see all these amazing aircraft posted here on ARC with beautiful detailed landing gear with all the piping. I've tried several times but it just doesnt work out as well, I have a bunch of brass wire and small dia. solder down to .010 and small dia. brass tubing, I cant never figure out how to get those small metallic bands represented that hold the wires and do I wire the landing gear all up before I paint. I'm sure there are a lot of technics to achieving the beautiful detail I see, what I'm hoping is that some of you will be willing to share your technics with photos or help me with links to improve my detiling. Thanks Guys!!!

On 1/24/2021 at 11:18 AM, chukw said:

Here's a tutorial on how I made the plumbing for my MiG21MF LanceR C conversion. Albion alloys brass nesting microtubing is essential Sprue Bros carries it. Cheers!  http://chukw.blogspot.com/2016/06/hosiery.html

MiG21_077.jpg

hey thanks for the link...I have one question what do you use to attach the "Hosiery" to the landing gear? 

19 hours ago, KEB said:

hey thanks for the link...I have one question what do you use to attach the "Hosiery" to the landing gear? 

Superglue. Where I could, I soldered brass pins to fit in correspoding holes I drilled in the legs. Once it's in place I'll carefully add thin strips of aluminum furnace tape where needed to match the real item. Couple of bucks at the big box hardware store for enough to last several lifetimes.  Landing gear is definitely not my favorite part of the build process, but, hey- it's got to done. 😉

On 1/27/2021 at 11:37 AM, chukw said:

Many thanks, KEB!

I've looked at your site and I couldn't find what you use to attach the hoses to the landing gear....super glue, and do you attach all the hoses before painting and the pick them out ater with color? thanks so much for your help

On 1/28/2021 at 11:58 AM, chukw said:

Superglue. Where I could, I soldered brass pins to fit in correspoding holes I drilled in the legs. Once it's in place I'll carefully add thin strips of aluminum furnace tape where needed to match the real item. Couple of bucks at the big box hardware store for enough to last several lifetimes.  Landing gear is definitely not my favorite part of the build process, but, hey- it's got to done. 😉

thanks!!! you are great at all aspects of your builds....I really like the paint filter technic you use...

On 1/29/2021 at 11:45 AM, KEB said:

I've looked at your site and I couldn't find what you use to attach the hoses to the landing gear....super glue, and do you attach all the hoses before painting and the pick them out ater with color? thanks so much for your help

I glue everything first, then paint. I spray the base color in whatever paint I have that's appropriate, then brush the details with Vallejo or Lifecolor.

Thanks for the kind words- cheers!

Edited by chukw