Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

3 hours ago, achterkirch said:

I noticed the top of the wings have the bump on them right above where the landing gear is.  That’s no suppose to be on the B right. That’s just a J/S version type of deal correct?  

Hi, 

These were retro-fitted to the F-4B's around 1966-68. 

I'm quite happy with Tamiya's announcement.

Cheers, Stefan.

6 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

amen! Especially Marine ones. Most folks have no idea, but right now is the real heyday of the F4b, but 53 years ago. Think Khe Sahn and the F4b's dropping gallon upon gallon of napalm all over the place.

gary

Three USMC F-4Bs squadrons in Vietnam covered so far: http://www.aoadecals.com/48014/

Maybe more coming....

4 hours ago, achterkirch said:

I noticed the top of the wings have the bump on them right above where the landing gear is.  That’s no suppose to be on the B right. That’s just a J/S version type of deal correct?  

Tamiya apparently decided to go with the later upgraded F-4B version to model that had the later ECM fit, Mk.7 seats, later trunnion covers, later stabilators, etc.

Bert Kinzey posted on FB that he was involved with Tamiya for a year on the kit and "the decal selection will be more limited than those for F-4Bs in general, because Tamiya has opted to do a specific ECM fit on the model. So decals will need to be for F-4Bs that had that fit, otherwise, the modeler will have to make changes to the kit."

A little unusual considering with minimal extra parts included they could've provided parts to represent more F-4B options but instead OOB they went with late version only it seems based on Bert's comment (and T's pictures posted so far).

Well that at least opens the door for many resin aftermarkets back-date sets to cover the earlier Bs.

Edited by ziggyfoos
2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

...  they went with late version only it seems based on Bert's comment (and T's pictures posted so far).

Well that at least opens the door for many resin aftermarkets back-date sets to cover the earlier Bs.

Could there really be no open speed brakes on such a magnificent (and expensive) kit???? :hmmm:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Academy has a very good F-4 but this will be a Tamiya with its unique engineering and quality. Hasegawa is too old with raised panel lines. 

Having said this, did we really need another F-4 in 1/48? 

While I applaud a latest and greatest engineered kit, why arent they completing the line of aircraft they've got out? F-16D? Granted the single seaters are more prolific, but the rarity of the two-seat kits make them a high-demand item amd often asked for. 

Just my $.02

27 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

While I applaud a latest and greatest engineered kit, why arent they completing the line of aircraft they've got out? F-16D? Granted the single seaters are more prolific, but the rarity of the two-seat kits make them a high-demand item amd often asked for. 

Just my $.02

Absolutely! Probably Tamiya do market research somewhere else. I dont know why they came up with F-4 when Academy has a brilliant kit (I m currently making their fantastic F-4J Jolly Rogers) and Zoukei Mura has another amazing F-4 kit, granted a bit on expensive side. 

At the same time when you look at their 1/32 and 1/48 F-16 kits, both seem to be rigged and primed for two seat version which never showed up in last 16 years! 

Im sure this will be great quality kit. I m sure too it will sell in big numbers. But something tells me looking at the kits coming from Chinese companies, that the future of our hobby lies with Chinese products. Tamiya has great kits no doubt but details in weapons, in molding technology is coming from the Chinese. This is just my observation and you may disagree. 

Do not compare 1/48 with 1/32...two totally different markets, it starts with the price and goes on with the space...

The Academy kit is not bad, I have it as well...half built so far...but it lacks in certain areas. The ZM short nose kits have a VERY glaring fault (it was corrected on the -E) and the parts layout and sprue execution are really bad! Also the ZM kit is not a -B which is very different from a -J/S.

Tamiya`s -B, I am sure, will be stepping into the traces that their fabulous Tomcat has left in the market already, it will be a million seller and worth every penny.

cheers

Uwe

The fact that this is a B screams multiple iterations of this kit. Elimination

of the Shoe horn ECM suite with a different chin fairing, fin tip and elimination of the trunnion covers yields an early F-4B. Addition of DECM fairings produces an N. The different cockpit details like RIO panel and MK 5 seats are a no brainer. 
   One of the posts mentioned Chinese tooling. I think Tam. makes their tools in other Asian countries. Another mentioned the speed brakes in the retracted position. This is kind of problematic for a power off jet. No matter, i’ll order 2 from the jump.

1 hour ago, stalal said:

Absolutely! Probably Tamiya do market research somewhere else. I dont know why they came up with F-4 when Academy has a brilliant kit (I m currently making their fantastic F-4J Jolly Rogers) and Zoukei Mura has another amazing F-4 kit, granted a bit on expensive side. 

At the same time when you look at their 1/32 and 1/48 F-16 kits, both seem to be rigged and primed for two seat version which never showed up in last 16 years! 

Im sure this will be great quality kit. I m sure too it will sell in big numbers. But something tells me looking at the kits coming from Chinese companies, that the future of our hobby lies with Chinese products. Tamiya has great kits no doubt but details in weapons, in molding technology is coming from the Chinese. This is just my observation and you may disagree. 

Academy’s kit is horrid.

1 hour ago, GeneK said:

Good Grief. If that's your assessment of the Academy kit, then I understand your rationale.

Gene K

Okay may be not 'brilliant' but still not a bad kit. 🙂 

Somewhere in between Hasegawa and ZM in terms of value. 

1 hour ago, BillS said:

Another mentioned the speed brakes in the retracted position. This is kind of problematic for a power off jet. 

But if one looks at the two separate built up models posted by Tamiya (one with and one without folded wings), it appears that the model with the folded wings also has separate drooped ailerons ... which are not so on the other (earlier test?) model. So perhaps the model with the folded wings also has the speed brakes down/drooping? Hmmmm. :hmmm:

QpJk4vr.jpg

Gene K

About the closed speedbrakes... Tamiya didn't give the option of flaps and slats 'open' on the Tomcat. So I wouldn't get my hopes up on the speedbrakes.

Personally... I'd very much like to see an early accurate "E". Thailand, '68-'69.

IMHO

DET1460