Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

But it's not every variant. -3. -4, -5, etc. as that would be an absurd expectation. 

But it was the companies themselves that designed the kits in a modular fashion to allow for a continuance instead of a sole version. So when the obvious 2-seater (again, talking Viper) isnt released, it raises questions. 

Seeing the prices these relatively rare kits go for, tells me there is a market. More so than the single seaters because there are so many. 

19 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

Seeing the prices these relatively rare kits go for, tells me there is a market. More so than the single seaters because there are so many. 

Just because the prices are high doesn't mean the rare kits will sell in great number.  There might be a market, but a small market that doesn't bring enough profit to the company to invest time and money in.  There are so many single seaters because people buy them.

17 hours ago, RichB63 said:

The couple hundred or so Bravos that emerged from a 1970s service life extension program as F-4N's retained the skinny tires and thin wings all the way through to retirement.

As others have pointed out, this first release by Tamiya is a “late” B with doubler plates and MLG trunnion covers (among other differences airframe wide).

I think it’s inevitable that we will see early F-4B and F-4N boxings from Tamiya in the future - the modifications would be minimal - but I’d be surprised if they expand the series any further.

Rich

where can we frame these two birds? early or late? thin or wide wheels? thanks.

f4b.jpg

Edited by Alpagueur
2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

That could literally be said for every model company and almost every kit ever produced. Why did Italeri only do the early AH-1W or Monogram only do the F9F-5 or Hasegawa only do the F-8E and the list goes on and on. Expecting a model company to release kits of every variant of a particular subject is unrealistic and very easy to do when you're not handling said companies finances. 

Any other company is not Tamiya and that is why expectation from Tamiya is much higher. Look at their F-16 kit. Its probably the best F-16 kit in the market. I have 4 of them. With such great quality and seeing how kit is jigged for a two seater (even its photo etched set has two set of seat belts!), is it unrealistic to expect from modellers like us to ask for a two seat version? 

As for how Tamiya sees the market, I dont know. F-4 market is crowded with ZM, Hasegawa and Academy kits. If Tamiya thinks it can sell a new F-4 in such a crowded market, why cant it give us new variants for kits it already has? 

6 hours ago, ST0RM said:

But it was the companies themselves that designed the kits in a modular fashion to allow for a continuance instead of a sole version. So when the obvious 2-seater (again, talking Viper) isnt released, it raises questions.

This is why I can't understand why they never released a 2-hole Viper.  It literally would have been a one-tree change (forward upper fuselage and cockpit parts) and a new canopy. Yes a new box and decals but that's what they did for the four boxings they did release (in 1/48).

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

This is why I can't understand why they never released a 2-hole Viper.  It literally would have been a one-tree change (forward upper fuselage and cockpit parts) and a new canopy. Yes a new box and decals but that's what they did for the four boxings they did release (in 1/48).

Would it not also require a whole new sprue for the clear parts, new decals and new instructions?

Edited by ElectroSoldier
45 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Would it not also require a whole new sprue for the clear parts, new decals and new instructions?

Yes it would.  I mentioned a new canopy (clear sprue) and new decals. The cost of new instructions is probably an order of magnitude less than new decals or a new canopy. 

I’m guessing the availability of Kinetic 2-seat Viper kits as donors for a conversion on the Tamiya kit could be a factor in the company’s decision.

But we digress.....

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

I’m guessing the availability of Kinetic 2-seat Viper kits as donors for a conversion on the Tamiya kit could be a factor in the company’s decision.

Not too many conversions around actually, either using Kinetic or the Wingman conversion set which is largely the same but in resin. So there should be a market for a straight out of the box dual seater F-16 in my opinion. 

well I thought we'd never see an A26 series right out to the B26K in my lifetime! Or the large scale OV10 series. Little interest in Tomcats, but the F16 is another story. On the other hand I can probably come up with eight or ten airframes dearly needed in quarter scale. Maybe someday; if I live long enough. 

gary

14 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

That could literally be said for every model company and almost every kit ever produced. Why did Italeri only do the early AH-1W or Monogram only do the F9F-5 or Hasegawa only do the F-8E and the list goes on and on. Expecting a model company to release kits of every variant of a particular subject is unrealistic and very easy to do when you're not handling said companies finances. 

Whilst all that is true it doesn't make it any less frustrating to those wanting xyz..

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

If you are so sure it will sell, why not launch a kickstarter?

Truth is, a new mold (design+production+dvt), in particular for clear parts, has a significant cost.

New decals design and printing has a cost.

New boxing has a cost, new instruction sheet too.

Now, make a poll and survey how many people will (and not wish) really buy this kit.

I really doubt you will cover your costs.

But are Tamiya known for "upgrading" old tooling?

9 hours ago, habu2 said:

Yes it would.  I mentioned a new canopy (clear sprue) and new decals. The cost of new instructions is probably an order of magnitude less than new decals or a new canopy. 

But we digress.....

But are Tamiya known for upgrading old tooling like that?

They are more likely to start a new project and make an F-16D kit arent they? (or what ever two seat variant they feel will sell well)

For me Tamiya have quite often missed a trick with their tooling over the years, the single/double deat F-16 and the F-14 kits spring to mind.

14 hours ago, habu2 said:

Agreed. The options available for all C's and D's.......E,F,I etc., would sell a lot of plastic.

21 hours ago, stalal said:

Any other company is not Tamiya and that is why expectation from Tamiya is much higher. Look at their F-16 kit. Its probably the best F-16 kit in the market. I have 4 of them. With such great quality and seeing how kit is jigged for a two seater (even its photo etched set has two set of seat belts!), is it unrealistic to expect from modellers like us to ask for a two seat version? 

As for how Tamiya sees the market, I dont know. F-4 market is crowded with ZM, Hasegawa and Academy kits. If Tamiya thinks it can sell a new F-4 in such a crowded market, why cant it give us new variants for kits it already has? 

There is no explanation why Tamiya hasn’t released a two seat F-16. Maybe they waited so long they feel the tooling is too old to update to their current standards? Even though we know it is the best F-16 available?

2 minutes ago, Scooby said:

There is no explanation why Tamiya hasn’t released a two seat F-16. 

Their F-14 was a two seat, this F-4 is a two seat.  Is this a trend ???  :whistle:

Hope springs eternal...  🙏

/s

18 hours ago, RichB63 said:

NL 100 (VF-51) and NL201 (VF-111) are both ideal markings candidates for the new Tamiya kit. 

thin everything (wings + wheels)? from the drawing (and the Academy kit) it looks like this, thin.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:01 AM, achterkirch said:

I noticed the top of the wings have the bump on them right above where the landing gear is.  That’s no suppose to be on the B right. That’s just a J/S version type of deal correct?  

where are these bumps? can't see them. To me the Tamiya kit seems all thin (wings/wheels). Am I missing something?

Edited by Alpagueur
16 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

thin everything (wings + wheels)? from the drawing (and the Academy kit) it looks like this, thin.

where are these bumps? can't see them. To me the Tamiya kit seems all thin (wings/wheels). Am I missing something?

They are above the MLG struts. There was a mod to F-4's that made the MLG Trunnion mounts bigger which necessitated a  bulge in the wing skin above the MLG mount.

17 minutes ago, boom175 said:

They are above the MLG struts. There was a mod to F-4's that made the MLG Trunnion mounts bigger which necessitated a  bulge in the wing skin above the MLG mount.

maybe I understand... you mean those small rectangular embossed panels? I thought you meant the inflated wing as the J/S version for the large wheel housing.

1 hour ago, Alpagueur said:

maybe I understand... you mean those small rectangular embossed panels? I thought you meant the inflated wing as the J/S version for the large wheel housing.

Correct.

And to be clear, all F-4A/B/N (plus most RF-4B) airframes had the thin wings/thin tires. 

6Jp6pmt.jpg

Edited by RichB63

A winter project I started is to create a catalog of all the decals I have collected over the years.  It took me a couple days to do just the F-4s.  I have decals for over 300 phantoms (327 to be exact).  Some of those are duplicates by different companies.  So come on Tamiya, do some Cs, and D, and E, and G, etc, etc...  🤪

Geoff M