Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

18 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Correct.

And to be clear, all F-4A/B/N (plus most RF-4B) airframes had the thin wings/thin tires. 

6Jp6pmt.jpg

Its entirely possible that little bulge is a stand alone part you attach to the wing and not molded as part of the upper wing itself. 

Edited by Sean F
34 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

and who buys it since this Tamiya is out now?

I know several modelers that still build the Revell F/A-18E and F. You do know the scale modeling world is much, much larger than ARC, right? 

3 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I know several modelers that still build the Revell F/A-18E and F. You do know the scale modeling world is much, much larger than ARC, right? 

so it means that the Academy kit is not that bad after all. I also prefer 'old' kits (if I can save some money) and hope someone else is interested. It all depends on how much this new Tamiya kit will cost. If it's going to cost as much as their F-14s (over 100 EUR on ebay) maybe it's best to stay on the Academy kit.

Edited by Alpagueur

As mentioned before, Tamiya's kit has molded-on EW antennas and fittings so it represents a very specific subset of F-4B's from a very specific time period (during the Vietnam War, EW fittings on navy jets were rapidly changing).    Moral to the story is - if you are going with aftermarket decals, make sure you study your subject closely because you may have a bit of work to do adding or removing antennas.   

For those interested, here is very nice summary of all the EW changes these aircraft went through.

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/search/label/EW

15 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

so it means that the Academy kit is not that bad after all. I also prefer 'old' kits (if I can save some money) and hope someone else is interested. It all depends on how much this new Tamiya kit will cost. If it's going to cost as much as their F-14s (over 100 EUR on ebay) maybe it's best to stay on the Academy kit.

Ebay is the worst place to buy japanese model kits and model kits in general, brand new Tamiya kits in particular.

On Ebay, prices, customer's and seller's behaviours  don't fellow a logical pattern.

44 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

It's not a matter of whether or not it's 'bad'. It's simply that the vast majority of scale modelers don't care about accuracy as much as people here think.

If you follow any of the hundreds of YouTube modelers or modeling groups on Facebook, you will soon learn that those who get all bent out of shape about accuracy are probably less than 1% of modelers as a whole. For some odd reason, many members here and on other forums such as Hyperscale, LSP, etc. believe they represent the wants and expectations of all modelers. 

The truth is, most still consider this just a hobby and build for fun.

58 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

It's not a matter of whether or not it's 'bad'. It's simply that the vast majority of scale modelers don't care about accuracy as much as people here think.

If you follow any of the hundreds of YouTube modelers or modeling groups on Facebook, you will soon learn that those who get all bent out of shape about accuracy are probably less than 1% of modelers as a whole. For some odd reason, many members here and on other forums such as Hyperscale, LSP, etc. believe they represent the wants and expectations of all modelers. 

Applause!  :clap2:

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Agreed: this type of product appeals to kids and rainy-day modellers: they don't need much skill to put together and you end up with something that looks like the subject without much effort. I imagine it is also why Tamiya produces mainstream topics - most of its production will sell to people who probably won't buy another kit anytime soon. They're in the business of making money, and interesting subjects generally won't equate to mass sales. That's fine with me, but also the reason I wouldn't buy a Tamiya kit from one year to the next. 

Horses for courses though: it's whatever brings a smile.

6 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Agreed: this type of product appeals to kids and rainy-day modellers: they don't need much skill to put together and you end up with something that looks like the subject without much effort. I imagine it is also why Tamiya produces mainstream topics - most of its production will sell to people who probably won't buy another kit anytime soon. They're in the business of making money, and interesting subjects generally won't equate to mass sales. That's fine with me, but also the reason I wouldn't buy a Tamiya kit from one year to the next. 

Horses for courses though: it's whatever brings a smile.

I guess I’m a kid or rainy day modeler then as I did a count the other day and 85% of my builds are Tamiya.

6 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

Academy kit isnt bad at all. I m currently building it. Its better than Hasegawa. For double the price, you will not get any better value in ZM F-4 than what you get from Academy out of the box. Though the game changes when Tamiya kit comes to market. 

5 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I'm not sure what the point is, Tamiya is not like Revell or something, Tamiya themself care a lot about accuracy!

38 minutes ago, delide said:

I'm not sure what the point is, Tamiya is not like Revell or something, Tamiya themself care a lot about accuracy!

That might be because you missed the point and probably didn't completely read all of the comments that led to mine. My comments about accuracy weren't about Tamiya, or their F-4B at all.