Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

So, in the box: slotted and unslotted stabs, separate trunnion cover plates, open speed brakes, refuelling probe, folding wings (a first for a Phantom kit oob?), different under nose sensors and various other bits.

Certainly a totally new design/engineering approach to a Phantom kit. The one piece, movable stabs look nice, but it remains to be seen if it is a proper scale appearance or looks toy-like. 

A very comprehensive package. My poor wallet. Thank God I'm in Japan 🙂

So only Mk.H5 seats are missing...?

J

Looks very nice! It is obvious from the break down that this will not be the only Phantom. Nice features like the folded wing alternative and lots of other possibilities. 

Look forward to it!

Best regards

Gabor

Wow, all clear canopy parts are slide molded! Also a first in phantom kits, just to replicate that tiny bit of omega shape and the rivets details on the frames I guess. Anyway, shapewise this is going to be the perfect kit again.

Edit: OK, academy ones are silde molded too, but not ZM.

Edited by delide

Beautiful kit indeed. I m wondering why no bombs are included? Will a bomb set be a separate kit?

Usually, Tamiya kits are good at weapons options out of the box. 

Edited by stalal
On 1/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, Alpagueur said:

where can we frame these two birds? early or late? thin or wide wheels? thanks.

f4b.jpg

Late. They both have the the introduction of "Project Shoehorn" installed AN/APR-25 Mod1 radar homing & warning suite introduced in 1967 & then the AN/APR-30, those two BuNo. went through the "Project Heavyweight" program providing the beefed up main gear which resulted in the requirement of the trunion plate over the mains strut, drooped ailerons & slot stabs, AN/ALQ-51/100 band deception jammers & lock breakers, AN/ALE-29 chaff/flare dispensers, AN/ALQ-91 IFF & a few other mods that you can't see. Some in the cockpit-especially a redesign of the RIO's rear upper IP being most notable. Lessons learned as the Vietnam War dragged on were constantly changing the avionics & countermeasure suites. Some went on to be retained in Project Beeline that converted 200++ converted B models to the -N.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

2 minutes ago, GeneK said:

Did you mean F-14?

Tamiya's 48th F-16C has been the haunt of 16D model modellers. Although I don't own the kit, apparently it lends itself to manufacturing into a D, or so I've drawn that conclusion.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:02 PM, BillS said:

George,

Will you launch this kit at the same time around the globe ... .

So, is George a Tamiya "official" ... or what?

Appreciate his posting the latest info.

Gene K

42 minutes ago, Solo said:

Frankly said, after 2 weeks with my Minibase Su-33 kit, that sprues of Tamiya's F-4B look really, really poorly detailed.

Well give us a call back once you have 2 weeks with the Tamiya F-4B.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Frankly said, after 2 weeks with my Minibase Su-33 kit, that sprues of Tamiya's F-4B look really, really poorly detailed.

You're right. It does not have to be super detailed like Minibase to be a great kit. Tamiya kits are simple to build with good basic details and accuracy. It will be unjust to compare Tamiya to Minibase kit or vice versa. Both are great in their own right. 

17 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Looks very nice! It is obvious from the break down that this will not be the only Phantom. Nice features like the folded wing alternative and lots of other possibilities. 

Look forward to it!

Best regards

Gabor

Looks that way for sure.  But with Tamiya that is no guarantee. 

18 hours ago, Gunny said:

Late. They both have the the introduction of "Project Shoehorn" installed AN/APR-25 Mod1 radar homing & warning suite introduced in 1967 & then the AN/APR-30, those two BuNo. went through the "Project Heavyweight" program providing the beefed up main gear which resulted in the requirement of the trunion plate over the mains strut, drooped ailerons & slot stabs, AN/ALQ-51/100 band deception jammers & lock breakers, AN/ALE-29 chaff/flare dispensers, AN/ALQ-91 IFF & a few other mods that you can't see. Some in the cockpit-especially a redesign of the RIO's rear upper IP being most notable. Lessons learned as the Vietnam War dragged on were constantly changing the avionics & countermeasure suites. Some went on to be retained in Project Beeline that converted 200++ converted B models to the -N.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

thanks for the great explanation sir

15 hours ago, GeneK said:

So, is George a Tamiya "official" ... or what?

Appreciate his posting the latest info.

Gene K

Not quite sure how you don't know that by now, but yes he is. 🙂 

15 hours ago, Solo said:

Whatever. Considering your track record with regard to what you consider 'detail', this is really no surprise.

11 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

I'm not sure what your point is with a statement like that. We get you have no interest with your previous post.

Thank you for your confirmation that you get it. I appreciate it.