Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

On 3/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, gtypecanare said:

Does not come with the tinting for the windscreen.  

I've seen a lot of Phantom models with the "tinting" overdone. The windshield is not tinted ... the greenish/blue color results from light waves playing in and between the two layers of thick glass that make up the flat center section. The color and intensity varies depending on conditions and viewing angle ... but the glass is clear. 

Gene K

1 hour ago, GeneK said:

I've seen a lot of Phantom models with the "tinting" overdone. The windshield is not tinted ... the greenish/blue color results from light waves playing in and between the two layers of thick glass that make up the flat center section. The color and intensity varies depending on conditions and viewing angle ... but the glass is clear. 

Gene K

Thank you Gene!! I think this is true of any windshield that uses that thick Glass in the center section.

One either side of the front and rear fuselage parts are missing "plugs" to provide the necessary changes in panel arrangements of the short nose Phantoms. Right hand side nose views are a bit more harder to come by and most drawings, if you can find reliable ones, show usually the left side of the aircraft.

On a B/N display aircraft here is what it should be, followed by a line drawing comparison to the actual photo on a C model. I've found photos of this round panel also on early Ds and an early J model.

On the rear of the aircraft the B/N has a change on both left and right, and a comparison split image to show.

F4N 6.jpg

panel compare.jpg

TailcompareDB.jpg

And here is J/S model to throw a curve ball in.

f-4j_nose.jpg

And I'm not even going to get into what I've found on existing kits.

Edited by Craig Baldwin
41 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

One either side of the front and rear fuselage parts are missing "plugs" to provide the necessary changes in panel arrangements of the short nose Phantoms. Right hand side nose views are a bit more harder to come by and most drawings, if you can find reliable ones, show usually the left side of the aircraft.

On a B/N display aircraft here is what it should be, followed by a line drawing comparison to the actual photo on a C model. I've found photos of this round panel also on early Ds and an early J model.

On the B nose right side, circulater panel 124 was on early aircraft before introduction of the "KY-28 Speech Security Unit" (AFC-311). After installation there was the more rectangular panel 629 in its place. (1966/67ish?)

http://aoadecals.com/images/F-4panel124.jpg

17 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

On the B nose right side, circulater panel 124 was on early aircraft before introduction of the "KY-28 Speech Security Unit" (AFC-311). After installation there was the more rectangular panel 629 in its place. (1966/67ish?)

Thank you, my details come strictly as a long time modeller.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:06 AM, Finn said:

Marine/Navy F-4Bs carried the Mk-77 napalm, and earlier Mk-79. Here is another one with Mk-77s, and Sparrows as well:

IMG_0061.jpg

Jari

they must have used the canisters with the pointed noses at onetime, because a lot of units used them as water tanks for showers. I only saw the ones in the picture in use. Wing tanks were harder to come by, but that's what we used on Gator

gary

On 2/21/2021 at 10:14 AM, Falconxlvi said:

It might be awhile to get any variants Curt.  Tamiya doesn’t have the best track record in this regard.  I would’ve put money on an F-14B or P-38J/L this year and we get the F-4B.  Probably something else random next year 😂

Steve

that P38J is the one they should have done! Then we could do a Robin Olds P38J. I have several sets of Impact decals in 1/48th scale, and he did several F4b's. I think I might even have some 1/32 Impact decals, but it's quite awhile since I went thru them.

gary

On 3/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, BillS said:

I saw that tire arrangement when an VA-195 A-7 dropped in to Reese one afternoon and blew a tire by riding the brakes. Another ‘195 jet came out the next day with a new tire. Us Air Force guys would have sent a ‘130 with 10 extra tires axle jacks, tools and three guys to fix the problem!

I used to eat at the Airforce mess hall everytime I was in Chu Lai. There were seven AF guys there and they had the best mess hall in I-Corp! Their mess Sargent would feed anybody as long as you signed the book. More Marine Pilots in there than enlisted men. He (Sargent) was really a great guy, and hope he did OK

gary

19 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

that P38J is the one they should have done! Then we could do a Robin Olds P38J. I have several sets of Impact decals in 1/48th scale, and he did several F4b's. I think I might even have some 1/32 Impact decals, but it's quite awhile since I went thru them.

gary

I agree.  I still think we get the J sooner rather than later.   

Steve

On 3/25/2021 at 5:26 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I agree.  I still think we get the J sooner rather than later.   

Steve

I seem to remember this as a pattern, now I can not remember specific instances of this but I want to say there have been a few instances of a manufacturer releasing a less desirable variant first, and the more desirable variants later.   For example, with the P-38, with the P-38F many people will run out and get it because it is a P-38 by Tamiya.  then later, many will also go out and buy a P-38J later.  But, if the J was released first, the P-38F may not sell well at all.   Seems like a reasonable strategy.

I am a Phantom Phreak so I will get every Tamiya Phantom, but I really look forward to a J,S, or recce variants. 

Edited by Kurt H.
On 3/26/2021 at 6:19 PM, BillS said:

re: the a.f. Chow hall. Betcha they had really great s.o.s. at Chu Lai!  I hope the new “woke” leadership won’t cut that staple off of the menu!

think of it this way; we had SOS seven days a week in three for maybe four different flavors! I cannot even stand to look at it anymore; let alone smell it! I went from green powdered eggs to the ones that were yellow. Then we got a new mess Sargent right out of NATO in Europe. He there to be punished! He could actually make powdered eggs taste good!  The first time I ever ate roast beef that wasn't dried out shoe leather was in that mess hall. Just one heck of a nice guy, and was loved by everybody. We would rotate in thru Chu Lai from the bush. Usually out looking a new hill over for a planned OP, and trust me you could smell us thirty feet away. We'd walk in looking like Mexican bandits, and they line would clear out ahead of us. The guy would clear out a spot with two tables (sometimes three), then have us stash our weapons behind the counter in a corner. Remember him asking me in a very kind way to clear my 60 when he saw a belt hanging out of it. We'd go thru that line at least three times without desert. I remember he almost always had pineapple upside down cake, and I could eat a ton of it. Always asked us if we got enough to eat on the way out? 

I took Top in there on a trip to trade with the Sea Bees. He didn't know it existed! As we left he told that Sargent that this was heaven! I left him a quart of Canadian Club on the counter as I walked out the door.  Then it was on to see the only air conditioner in Chu Lai and maybe I-Corp. 

gary

On 3/26/2021 at 11:42 PM, Kurt H. said:

I seem to remember this as a pattern, now I can not remember specific instances of this but I want to say there have been a few instances of a manufacturer releasing a less desirable variant first, and the more desirable variants later.   For example, with the P-38, with the P-38F many people will run out and get it because it is a P-38 by Tamiya.  then later, many will also go out and buy a P-38J later.  But, if the J was released first, the P-38F may not sell well at all.   Seems like a reasonable strategy.

I am a Phantom Phreak so I will get every Tamiya Phantom, but I really look forward to a J,S, or recce variants. 

totally agree with your post. The P38J is the one I'd be after from the start. I sorta figured the ZM F4b wouldn't arrive before I croaked, but still had a lot of hope in it. Then Tamiya decides to do one. That really fills a gap for me anyway. I know very little about the F4j, as they were the new kid on the block when I moved out to the fence. I'd kinda like to do one that flew out of Chu Lai sooner than later. What we really need is a good RF4c kit right now. I have been looking at using Hasegawa parts on the ZM kit a tiny bit. 

when you step back and look at it, there's quite a few subjects from that era that need to be retooled and done better. I'd love a brand new RA5c Vigilanti and a new F100d in 48th scale for starters

gary

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Shame they can't seem to find a knowledgeable Phantom person to shed some light on to what the previewer is actually looking at.

Agreed.

57 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

That detail up decals sheet looks very extensive, so I am thinking the kit supplied decals are just the very basic larger data stencils?

The details are in this thread, I think it also gives other schemes. The Tamiya rep mentioned them.