Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

34 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Some of you may find this review of interest, an actual building of the kit by an airplane guy. Although in French.

Merci beaucoup!

The interior detail is impressive; Tamiya seem to have captured the three dimensional element of the Phantom cockpit very effectively.

Edited by RichB63

Thanks, Craig.

What an impressive model!! Nice to see the reviewer speculate about future variants. :thumbsup2:

Gene K

For those not familiar with YouTube CC (Closed Captioning): Turn on by clicking CC on bottom right of the video, then click settings icon (gear), then arrow to the right of French (auto generated), then Auto-generate, and finally select language of choice.

2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

And....... The tail stabs are moveable, 9:40 in that video.

...and that's the only thing I don't like about this kit. The ability to position the stabs at various angles is great, but the design makes the cover plates and guide rails look toy-ish and out of step with the scale fidelity of the rest of the model. But I have a feeling *someone* may come up with a remedy for it...?:whistle:

J

p.s. but I certainly like pretty much everything else I saw! 🙂

Edited by JeffreyK
8 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

the design makes the cover plates and guide rails look toy-ish and out of step with the scale fidelity of the rest of the model.

My thoughts were similar but I will wait to see how the parts can be fiddled with to improve the look.

No, not released yet -- as indicated by the white box (and by the commentary if you have a translation) this is an early "preview/test" kit issued by Tamiya to selected individuals. 

June release has been indicated by Tamiya. You can preorder at sites such as  HLJ or HobbySearch.

Gene K

2 minutes ago, GeneK said:

No, not released yet -- as indicated by the white box (and by the commentary if you have a translation) this is an early "preview/test" kit issued by Tamiya to selected individuals. 

June release has been indicated by Tamiya. You can preorder at sites such as  HLJ or HobbySearch.

Gene K

The one shown in the video that statal posted of Andy's Hobby appears to be the released kit in hand (final boxtop, instructions, decals, etc)

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Andy has got the actual release version now. 

So you're gonna split hairs and say Andy has an "actual" release version? So how does that answer stalal who, in the interest of  ordering one (I assume), asked, "So has this been released in North America"?  OK, well yes, for Andy, it has, but for us mere mortals, no it hasn't . If you've already ordered one from HobbyShop Andy, Electro, I assume you're aware of his closing comments at 18:02 in his video. 

Gene K

2 hours ago, GeneK said:

So you're gonna split hairs and say Andy has an "actual" release version? So how does that answer stalal who, in the interest of  ordering one (I assume), asked, "So has this been released in North America"?  OK, well yes, for Andy, it has, but for us mere mortals, no it hasn't . If you've already ordered one from HobbyShop Andy, Electro, I assume you're aware of his closing comments at 18:02 in his video. 

Gene K

No.
You said its a white box version in your post.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:07 PM, GeneK said:

Gene K

Its not. If you watch the video you can see that you are wrong and it isnt the white box pre release version and that is what I was answering when I said 

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Andy has got the actual release version now. 

I had no intention of answering the question as to if it is or is not on general release in north america. Because I dont care if it is, I dont even care if it is ever released in north america because I dont live there and rarely if ever buy from there.

37 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Because I dont care if it is, I dont even care if it is ever released in north america because I dont live there and rarely if ever buy from there.

OK, sorry.

Gene K

9 hours ago, GeneK said:

Gene K

Thanks GeneK. I dont understand how Andy Hobby has final release kit when its not released for public. Wherever I see, its stated to be released in July. So how many kits sellers like Andy's Hobby get before its made available to the public? I thought they all get white box sets and get final kit only when its released for sale. 

9 hours ago, stalal said:

I dont understand how Andy Hobby has final release kit when its not released for public. 

Seems the final release version has other recipients as well. Grumpy Modeller's Youtube channel has a preview showing off the decals and various non-plastic stuff included in the box. Most of these I call preview because no parts are shown removed from parts tree. He had the extra Detail set of decals but barely mentioned nor looked at them.

9 hours ago, stalal said:

Thanks GeneK. I dont understand how Andy Hobby has final release kit when its not released for public. Wherever I see, its stated to be released in July. So how many kits sellers like Andy's Hobby get before its made available to the public? I thought they all get white box sets and get final kit only when its released for sale. 

I suspect Tamiya (and other manufacturers) provide some of the first kits off the production line to reviewers and influencers like Andy. If you're curious, you might drop Andy an email for more clarity: support@andyshhq.com.

14 hours ago, stalal said:

A company like Tamiya will give out a number of copies to select people who are in a position to put the word out about the new release.
Andys HHQ is one such person. There are a large number of people who watch that channel so its a great advert for the new release.

Tamiya generally though not always "shoot" some test shots of the kit and put those "kits" into a plain white box, they are sent to key model makers and advertisers who can test build the kit and give any feedback to Tamiya. Andys HHQ will also show off the kit to customers. but only the plastic parts are included, no decals for instance.

Then once its been test built by a modeller who isnt familiar with the kit and all is good feedback is given then the kits will go into series production they will be boxed as you would expect with nicely printed boxes, kit instructions, decals etc etc and loaded into packing cartons, those cartons will be loaded onto pallets and in turn loaded into a shipping container.

Arrangements for shipping the cartons the kits to local distributers have already been made (containers booked, passage on ships booked etc etc)

New release white box kits shouldnt be confused with Tamiyas special edition kits that also come in a white box with a printed label on it that looks like a poor mans production run.
They are generally the same as any other production run with instructions and decals but the box isnt full colour printed as they want to use all the things they already have but dont want to have the expense of printing a new special edition box for the limited run release.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I don't understand why some are getting lathered up over the white box "demo's" being sent out for build reviews. Tamiya has done this before...this is nothing new guys. Good things come to those who wait.....

Not only is it nothing new its common... In fact its rare for a kit release not to have a white box release before it goes final.