Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

On 4/18/2021 at 8:40 AM, thegoodsgt said:

I suspect Tamiya (and other manufacturers) provide some of the first kits off the production line to reviewers and influencers like Andy. If you're curious, you might drop Andy an email for more clarity: support@andyshhq.com.

Influencers? Are some modelers really calling them that now? Thought that was a word only teenagers were using. 

23 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Influencers? Are some modelers really calling them that now? Thought that was a word only teenagers were using. 

What exactly is an "Influencer" anyway? Some social media wannabe important person? 

On 4/19/2021 at 5:14 PM, Dave Roof said:

Well yeah. Its a modern thing.
Not all modellers are our age 😉 

42 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

What exactly is an "Influencer" anyway? Some social media wannabe important person? 

Somebody worth sending a freebie to.

Some of them can increase sales by quite a margin.

There are a lot who only really effect their own small bubble, shop owner come internet modeller who makes videos isnt really worth bothering with because outside their own shop they have little influence on wider sales.
But some who are not affiliated to their own world first kick sales up to the tune of several pallet loads.

An influencer who actually builds it and then doesnt direct buyers to their own store work best Ive found.

43 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Yep. Some one who tries to get free stuff by claiming they can "influence" people to buy said stuff cause of how popular they are.

unless you are a legitimate celebrity, most of these so called influencers are just people trying to pretend they are someone important.

Sean

1 minute ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

Yep. Some one who tries to get free stuff by claiming they can "influence" people to buy said stuff cause of how popular they are.

unless you are a legitimate celebrity, most of these so called influencers are just people trying to pretend they are someone important.

Sean

You could make vinegar with grapes like that buddy )))

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

You could make vinegar with grapes like that buddy )))

the issue is, if i wanted to advertise a business, I would write a contract and pay someone to say nice things about me. Most celebrity "influencers" are paid to do what they do, or are under contract to a specific company . Most "influencers" are just out to score free stuff. I hate the term influencer. It was just a new zippy way to claim someone is a spokesperson without coming right out and saying it. As a business, if I wanted to provide free products to someone for a review, good bad or ugly, I would do my research and contact people I felt would be fair. if someone offers to do a good review for you in exchange for free service or product, then their review means nothing. I have no issues with someone promoting something they like/enjoy/believe in, or getting paid to say nice things about something they hate. But it needs to be transparent and the Instagram influencer world is a very murky place to wade into right now.

Sean

EDIT: sorry for the very off topic tangent here. I just know a few people who have been cold called by "influencers", turned down the offer, and then were badmouthed cause they wouldn't give them free stuff 

Edited by martin_sam_2000
1 hour ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

the issue is, if i wanted to advertise a business, I would write a contract and pay someone to say nice things about me. Most celebrity "influencers" are paid to do what they do, or are under contract to a specific company . Most "influencers" are just out to score free stuff. I hate the term influencer. It was just a new zippy way to claim someone is a spokesperson without coming right out and saying it. As a business, if I wanted to provide free products to someone for a review, good bad or ugly, I would do my research and contact people I felt would be fair. if someone offers to do a good review for you in exchange for free service or product, then their review means nothing. I have no issues with someone promoting something they like/enjoy/believe in, or getting paid to say nice things about something they hate. But it needs to be transparent and the Instagram influencer world is a very murky place to wade into right now.

Sean

EDIT: sorry for the very off topic tangent here. I just know a few people who have been cold called by "influencers", turned down the offer, and then were badmouthed cause they wouldn't give them free stuff 

Is this one of those "ive had a bad exprience with one of these people so I know all about it" posts?

There are three types, the one you describe is at the lowest end of the market. You know they are and they know who they are because they have to "reach out to people" to get a leg into the influencing arena.
It actually isnt where successful influencers start but they seek to be successful and will put themselves out there in order to get it.

15 minutes ago, okthree said:

I can’t conceivably see how Tamiya would need to influence anyone to buy their kits.  Lately just the simple fact it comes from Tamiya is good enough for me. 

1 minute ago, Craig Baldwin said:

Perfectly stated.

Its advertising plain and simple.

They do need advertising. Otherwise how would you know they have released anything at all?
Seeing it in the shop or happening across it while you were browsing the site is a bad way of running a business

12 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Its advertising plain and simple.

They do need advertising. Otherwise how would you know they have released anything at all?
Seeing it in the shop or happening across it while you were browsing the site is a bad way of running a business

I don’t think I have seen a single advertisement for the kit. Everything I know about it has come from this forum.  Plenty of free advertising for Tamiya, 16 pages worth and counting. 

3 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

I am sad to say, I’ve had this happen several times. The message is, give me free products or I’ll post negative things about you and your product... my response was I look forward to what you write. There are plenty of legit and worthwhile people out there that do it correctly. 

6 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

That's okay,  Everything important or interesting about the actual kit happened in the first page or two.  Everything since has been filler while we wait for the kit to come out.

Geoff M

3 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

I am sad to say, I’ve had this happen several times. The message is, give me free products or I’ll post negative things about you and your product... my response was I look forward to what you write. There are plenty of legit and worthwhile people out there that do it correctly. 

They are not influencers...

If they "reach out and ask" then they are not worth bothering with.

Somebody who is more than willing to give away a kit or two in order to drum up some sales would never consider an influencer who asks.
The email would go unanswered.

45 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

That's okay,  Everything important or interesting about the actual kit happened in the first page or two.  Everything since has been filler while we wait for the kit to come out.

Geoff M

There are some who do buy like that.
But there are many more who dont. They want to see it before they buy it.
Neither way is wrong.

3 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

What is the correct way Brian.P?

All,

I found this build in a 2013 post of a build of the VF-111 Sundowners, presumably based on a 1971 photo showing this aircraft dropping ordnance in Vietnam, that is in the Wikipedia page about the F-4 Phantom (actually it's aircraft 204 that is in the Wikipedia photo).  Does anyone know if decals for this scheme exist today?  I'd really like to do this scheme on the Tamiya F-4B, which I am anxiously waiting to buy when it is available.

My apologies, and thanks in arrears, to member fa12aaa, who built this from an Academy kit and posted this image in the 'critique corner', on April 7, 2013.   Sorry for the double image; i couldn't figure out how to remove the duplicate.

DSC_0001.JPG

image.png

Edited by Curt B
51 minutes ago, Curt B said:

All,

I found this build in a 2013 post of a build of the VF-111 Sundowners, presumably based on a 1971 photo showing this aircraft dropping ordnance in Vietnam, that is in the Wikipedia page about the F-4 Phantom (actually it's aircraft 204 that is in the Wikipedia photo).  Does anyone know if decals for this scheme exist today?  I'd really like to do this scheme on the Tamiya F-4B, which I am anxiously waiting to buy when it is available.

My apologies, and thanks in arrears, to member fa12aaa, who built this from an Academy kit and posted this image in the 'critique corner', on April 7, 2013.   Sorry for the double image; i couldn't figure out how to remove the duplicate.

Coming soon from Bullseye

May be an image of text that says 'FLEET PHANTOMS // MMMNG 48-018 미本 C.BBPEARL USS CORAL SEA CORAL SEA A이 153019 VF-IlI VF-IlI 201 201 1553914 15539314 PPAEL NG 201 201 3914 3914 USS ENTERPRISE USS ENTERPRISE F-92 VF-92 VF-213 ANDERSON WOODWORTH FRANK ANDERSON VF-213 USS KITTY HAWK 10I 2996 10I USS KITTY HAWK 2996 152996 NH NH 152996 153006 3006 USS RANGER 3006 153006 NE USS RANGER 미 VF-154 VF-154 NE 401 CDRW.HA 미 40 00 VF-114 NHNH 00 VF-114 00 00 00 DUFF ARNOLD DUFF ARNOLD USS HAWK KITTY HAWK 00 ************ 200 NH 2021 STAMP IN ITALIA 200 200 3026 3026 CARTOGRAF'