Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

1 hour ago, skyhawk524 said:

Yep. Same exact jet according to Tamiya. https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/61121/index.htmd19.jpg

You are exactly right, sir!!!  Many thanks...now I don't have to scrounge for aftermarket decal sheets!!!  The only thing I will need to change, to model the F-4B that is shown dropping bombs in Vietnam, on the F-4 Wikipedia page, is to be able to make it 204 instead of 201, and all the associated aircraft numbers, and names of the aircrew on the canopy rims...  And, hopefully, Quinta will come up with a cockpit set for this model soon...they will if they're smart, given the number of models Tamiya will no doubt sell.  I'm planning to get 2 right away!!

Edited by Curt B

Visiting  Brookhurst Hobbies in SoCal today, I spied this built up example of the new Tamiya ‘toom behind a glass display case.

Viewed up close and personal, the model looked great, as expected. 

With this kit, Tamiya seem to have captured the thin cross section of the vertical tail (including its sharp radius leading edge) more effectively than any other Phantom release to date, including their own in 1/32, which suffer from too “chunky” an appearance, at least in my view.

I think we’re all in for a real treat!

eyvgfE5.jpg

jW1ydUk.jpg

Edited by RichB63
6 minutes ago, RichB63 said:

Visiting  Brookhurst Hobbies in SoCal today, I spied this built up example of the new Tamiya ‘toom behind a glass display case.

Viewed up close and personal, the model looked great, as expected. Tamiya seems to have captured the thin cross section of the vertical tail more effectively than any previous F-4 kit, including their own efforts in 1/32, which suffer from too “chunky” an appearance, at least in my view.

I think we’re all in for a real treat!

https://i.imgur.com/eyvgfE5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jW1ydUk.jpg

Wow thanks for the link to the photos you took.  It does look fantastic!!  Was there anything posted about the exact release date?

Edited by Curt B
6 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Wow thanks for the link to the photos you took.  It does look fantastic!!  Was there anything posted about the exact release date?

Hi Curt, I don’t recall a specific release date...just “coming soon.”

Hi guys, forgive me if this was answered somewhere else in the thread, but I am wondering if Tamiya did a better job on the intake trunking on this than they did on their 1/32 series?

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

3 hours ago, BrockyTaz said:

Hi guys, forgive me if this was answered somewhere else in the thread, but I am wondering if Tamiya did a better job on the intake trunking on this than they did on their 1/32 series?

Thanks in advance and have a great day.

There was a post on Facebook about a week ago by someone who was given a test build the showed it fit perfectly. I can't post the link here though, since it was in a private group.

14 hours ago, RichB63 said:

we are looking at two different shapes. My thing is where the front canopy joins the rear (in the center). May  be an optical illusion, but to my eyes it looks like it is narrower in the middle. Whatever it is, to my eyes it's a small thing to worry about

gary

On 4/28/2021 at 10:14 PM, ChesshireCat said:

well I'm somewhat disappointed that once again the Marines were ignored in their markings!!!

I think this was brought up earlier in the thread, with this boxing only air-to-air, presumably another boxing would be coming later (and hopefully have the "early" parts).

At least they included the outer pylons w/o the tanks in this boxing unlike what they did with the similar all air-to-air initial 1/32 F-4J kit.

16 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

in Vietnam, the marines flew more strikes than the Navy ever dreamed of. I have that AOA decal sheet, and several Impact sheets to play with.

They'll be more to play with. Part 2 sheet will be coming covering three more USMC F-4B squadrons in Vietnam:

154805910_5116574808384241_9118125985545

157646529_5142143092494079_3347310866022

158158951_5169451516429903_8965209263190

Edited by ziggyfoos

Are there two different vertical fin top sections in the kit? It seems like in real F-4B, one tail type is with some kind of receiver/ warning node and other is smooth.

Sorry Phantom experts. I m just a modeller 🙂 and get all aircraft related info from you experts. 

6 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

They'll be more to play with. Part 2 sheet will be coming covering three more USMC F-4B squadrons in Vietnam:

Hi,

VMFA-531 in Vietnam! I don't think that's been done before.

I gather it was just that one deployment in 1965 and they never returned. Pretty cool that you found references.

Cheers, Stefan.

7 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

I think this was brought up earlier in the thread, with this boxing only air-to-air, presumably another boxing would be coming later (and hopefully have the "early" parts).

At least they included the outer pylons w/o the tanks in this boxing unlike what they did with the similar all air-to-air initial 1/32 F-4J kit.

154805910_5116574808384241_9118125985545

158158951_5169451516429903_8965209263190

between Da Nang and Chu Lai, they often swapped locations. VMFA542 was always a common and welcomed sight. Plus it was almost the norm to see their aircraft at both locations. One that has always was strange to me anyway was the lack of decals for Dong Ha aircraft. They came in a little later, but certainly played a role (what all they used I don't know)

I remember reading (or hearing) that a Phantom flying out of Chu Lai with a very heavy load out and bombing just west of Khe Sahn was low on fuel after the first pass. Add to this they did these bombing runs several times a day with each airframe. Marines did virtually all the air strikes in I-Corp as long as I was up there. God rest their souls!

gary

On 4/26/2021 at 10:18 AM, gtypecanare said:

Looking forward to this kit, but I don't understand the logic of selling the stencil decals separately vs including them with the kit.  The kit seems incomplete without them.

4 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

VMFA-531 in Vietnam! I don't think that's been done before.

I gather it was just that one deployment in 1965 and they never returned. Pretty cool that you found references.

Yes they were "only" there for a relatively short time (this is why only one option on the sheet, they were pretty uniform). 531 was the first USMC squadron there.

Thanks goes to Rich for leading me to closeup of their small tail insignia for that one, without that I was stalled. Would've liked to include 513 as well but couldn't find clear enough pic of the owl on the tail used while in Vietnam. 

12 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Looking forward to this kit, but I don't understand the logic of selling the stencil decals separately vs including them with the kit.  The kit seems incomplete without them.

Looks like only the panel decals are separate. The rest of the data in the kit. 

Guessing though not everyone cares to use them all so they went separate? Maybe also keep costs down (or make more money)?

I also guess they were going for the original McD factory data/panels.

Although that would only really be applicable anyway up to the Bs airframe first rework/overall (even by mid 60s). Then it depends on where it was they were reapplied, if at all. If they did, they'd more likely be painted stencil type. So getting that panel decal sheet wouldn't even be needed depending on what aircraft is being represented (if accuracy matters to modeler).

I'd suspect none of the schemes in this boxing would've still had the factory data/panels anyway since these are later Bs already gone through rework.

8 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Thanks goes to Rich for leading me to closeup of their small tail insignia for that one, without that I was stalled. Would've liked to include 513 as well but couldn't find clear enough pic of the owl on the tail used while in Vietnam. 

Yes, same here.

I would also have found 513 interesting. The one picture that I have of that was BuNo 150473 WF-9 landing at Atsugi.

It's so unclear that I initially thought the thing on the tail was a cat. Only later, I realised that it was an owl but quite different from VMFA-513's later markings.

Cheers, Stefan. 

15 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Looks like only the panel decals are separate. The rest of the data in the kit. 

Guessing though not everyone cares to use them all so they went separate? Maybe also keep costs down (or make more money)?

I also guess they were going for the original McD factory data/panels.

Although that would only really be applicable anyway up to the Bs airframe first rework/overall (even by mid 60s). Then it depends on where it was they were reapplied, if at all. If they did, they'd more likely be painted stencil type. So getting that panel decal sheet wouldn't even be needed depending on what aircraft is being represented (if accuracy matters to modeler).

I'd suspect none of the schemes in this boxing would've still had the factory data/panels anyway since these are later Bs already gone through rework.

So, is it the case that aircraft, when being 'reworked', were repainted, and the repainting covered the factory stencils, without the stencils being restored on the new paint?  Is this/was this typical?  Is its true today?  I'm guessing that the newer military aircraft, with RAM paint, don't have as many stencils, anyway, but I have nothing to back that up.  I'm also thinking that determining whether a given aircraft frame either had, or did not have, stencils, would be pretty hard to determine, based on photos, unless the photos were walk-arounds (where the photos might show close ups on panels).  But it's got to be hard to determine if stencils were present on a particular plane based on 'regular' photos, such as of the entire aircraft.  Unless I'm missing something.  Just curious as to how one might determine that level of detail.