Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

I saw 6 at the local store. Nice looking but FAR too expensive, was over $150 bucks!. I wait till someone wants to sell and I will pick it up second hand. Or maybe I would trade a couple Hasegawa Tomcats for one. Still have lots of Hasegawa Phantoms in the stash.

Just 2 hours ago, I got an in-stock notice for the kit from ScaleHobbyist, too, like Dave Williams!!!!!  I Just placed my order.  $84.99...wahoo!

I have received my Tamiya phantom. It looks nice in the box, but the real test will be to build it.  

It is amazing how the phantom went from being ignored for years, and now we have 3 new 1/48th phantom kit families. Hasegawa did just about every variant, but the very important C/D , and the B were never done with engraved panel lines.  Since 2012 we have new kits from Academy, Zoukei Mura and now Tamiya. Who would have thought Tamiya would release a 1/48 phantom kit?  It is a great time to be a phantom phan. 

picked up mine fro the lhs today, looks great in the box.
I would love to do the VF-111 bird in the kit, but I have never had success with tamiya kit decals.

hopefully someone like afterburner etc. will do a good set

41 minutes ago, dylan said:

picked up mine fro the lhs today, looks great in the box.
I would love to do the VF-111 bird in the kit, but I have never had success with tamiya kit decals.

hopefully someone like afterburner etc. will do a good set

Afterburner is now Bullseye Model Aviation and they have already printed two sheets, one with VF-111 decals for this kit. They should be ready for shipment soon.

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyemodelaviation

1 hour ago, Kurt H. said:

I have received my Tamiya phantom. It looks nice in the box, but the real test will be to build it.  

It is amazing how the phantom went from being ignored for years, and now we have 3 new 1/48th phantom kit families. Hasegawa did just about every variant, but the very important C/D , and the B were never done with engraved panel lines.  Since 2012 we have new kits from Academy, Zoukei Mura and now Tamiya. Who would have thought Tamiya would release a 1/48 phantom kit?  It is a great time to be a phantom phan. 

You can't be serious....ignored for years? It is one of the most popular modeling subjects in the hobby. 

44 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

You can't be serious....ignored for years? It is one of the most popular modeling subjects in the hobby. 

I am serious, Hasegawa  was the only one to make new tools of the Phantom in 1/48.

There were not a lot of new tool 1/48 phantoms during the Hasegawa Phantom era.  Hasegawa worked their way through all the  variants,  but the B/N and the C/D were practically castoffs, until the Academy C/D the only engraved panel line C/D was the ESCI C/D .  To get an Engraved B/N you had to massively re-work a J.   The short nose variants, with the exception of the J/S really needed a modern, engraved panel line kit, which took until 2012 when Academy dared to challenge Hasegawa's dominance with the 1/48th phantom. 

So now we have many new tools, so it is a time for great rejoicing. 

Edited by Kurt H.
On 6/18/2021 at 11:56 PM, GeneK said:

I thought I read that Tamiya stipulates that distributors, stores, etc, can't/shouldn't sell items until a specified worldwide release date. Is that not correct?

Gene K

That may have been the case before. But it meant places like HLJ in Japan and shops based in Hong Kong usually got to sell them first, so by the time the rest of the world got them many had already bought theirs online. Naturally those affected were upset, so now we in Japan get new Tamiya releases later than everyone else.

4 hours ago, Scooby said:

Afterburner is now Bullseye Model Aviation and they have already printed two sheets, one with VF-111 decals for this kit. They should be ready for shipment soon.

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyemodelaviation

oh yeah I forgot about them. too bad they only sell through sprue brothers. the last 3 times I tried to order they cancelled on me.

1 hour ago, razgriz said:

That may have been the case before. But it meant places like HLJ in Japan and shops based in Hong Kong usually got to sell them first, so by the time the rest of the world got them many had already bought theirs online. Naturally those affected were upset, so now we in Japan get new Tamiya releases later than everyone else.

No, what Gene was saying is the kits get shipped out world wide but whoever in whatever corner of the world gets them is not to sell them until a certain global release day. That would make sense, but in practice that doesn't seem to be happening. The kits are shipped overseas with sufficient lead time but apparently they are being sold by the vendors as soon as they get there, without any "global release date" in mind.

J

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

No, what Gene was saying is the kits get shipped out world wide but whoever in whatever corner of the world gets them is not to sell them until a certain global release day. That would make sense, but in practice that doesn't seem to be happening. The kits are shipped overseas with sufficient lead time but apparently they are being sold by the vendors as soon as they get there, without any "global release date" in mind.

J

I guess what I was trying to say was that they probably had set dates at one point, but on that date a shipment could be ready to be EMS'ed from HLJ, getting on a truck at a port in Asia, or still on a boat in the middle of an ocean, hence the gnashing of teeth. If you look on Amazon Japan right now, the release date for this F-4 here in Japan is July 31. Nobody in their right mind is going to sit on their goods and wait for Japan or any other date. They'd want to get to market ASAP, even if it'll mean a lower margin due to higher logistics costs.

Anyway, back to people fondling the kit.

7 hours ago, dylan said:

oh yeah I forgot about them. too bad they only sell through sprue brothers. the last 3 times I tried to order they cancelled on me.

Who is "they"?  Sprue Brothers or Bullseye ?

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

Who is "they"?  Sprue Brothers or Bullseye ?

sprue brothers. I attempted 3 orders in the last year, 2 were cancelled outright and the other sat in the packing dept. for several weeks before I cancelled it.

1 hour ago, dylan said:

sprue brothers. I attempted 3 orders in the last year, 2 were cancelled outright and the other sat in the packing dept. for several weeks before I cancelled it.

Wow, that's not good. I have never had a problem like that from them. Order shipping is usually top notch...the best in the USA from my experience. Now, when it comes to Squadron (old Squadron) I have multiple bad experiences over the past 3-4 years. Sprue Bros does have some issues with customer service if you happen upon one or two employees who can be rather short and curt with you. When that has happened (or when they fail to respond to emails) it sorta reminds me of the "Blacklist" B.S. a certain Vendor applied to customers years ago. 

1 hour ago, dylan said:

Sorry you experienced all that, but for me across the decade, Sprue Brothers has consistently been at the top of my "Responsive Dealers" list. They usually have my orders in the mail in the afternoon of the day I ordered ... to the point that if I attempted to add to an order shortly after I placed it, it was already packed. 

As fast as their dispatch is, however, I think they started using "Sure post" which means three days are added to the delivery time as USPS drags things out.

Gene K

My Tamiya F-4 went out this morning from SB.:clap2:

Edited by GeneK