Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

I agree with the “happy with SB” crowd. My stuff takes 2, maybe three days to arrive on a consistent basis. Victory Models is another efficient online store. I continue to have great service from Hannants as well. Come to think of it, I’ve ordered from some Cinese dealers on Ebay and was astounded with how fast that stuff has made it and in great shape. The Model Gods must like me.

20 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

My kit arrived from SB yesterday- man, what a beauty!   I cannot wait to start this- the engineering is brilliant!

Steve

You got a jump on me, Steve...good for you!  Mine will be coming from Scalehobbyist this Thursday.  I won't be getting to it soon but I am looking forward to gazing on the plastic!

11 hours ago, Curt B said:

You got a jump on me, Steve...good for you!  Mine will be coming from Scalehobbyist this Thursday.  I won't be getting to it soon but I am looking forward to gazing on the plastic!

Yes, it is a really nice kit indeed.  Mine also came with F-4 Phantom Reinforcement Panels (for the Tamiya kit) #48-701 from Nautilus Models.  These are for some of the F-4B aircraft later in their career and also for the F-4J/N/S and USAF F-4E/G aircraft during overhaul.  

You will not be disappointed with this kit!

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

I got mine on Saturday  Yes very nice. 

I was wondering if the seats should be replaced with the excellent Hypersonic MB USN Seats?  Tamiya seems to get the feel for the mk.V seat.....At least they didnt give us a Mk. 7 seat which many mistakenly do with early Phantoms.  The Hypersonic resins eats are very nicely detailed and paint up very nicely?!?!

Any suggestions?

Steve,

Tamiya's seat is a MK H7, with 2 PSP (USAF and USN). For the USN version, the O2 bottle needs to be cut. A bungee is provided in decals, but why only one ?? (there are 2 bungees on each side of the main chute container).

Early Phantom can be equiped with MK H5 (Hypersonic Model, Wolfpack).

Thanks  I didnt look that closely yet  ..........Middle of another project.  

I was hoping they did a 5....But I suppose the later 7 seat covers more markings  They changed the seat from 5 to 7 in 1968...Right??  Same for the Crusaders I think??

Steve,

Mk F5 (Crusader) and MK H5 (Phantom ) are not similar (so do not use True Details MK5 for your Phantom).

The upper part of the seat bucket of the H5 looks like the upper part of the MK F7 (late Cusader seat) : the upper part of the seat bucket is wrapping the main chute container (soft container for the MK H5 and Mk F5, hard container for the MK H7 and MK F7). 

I was also hoping Tamiya would provide a MK5....

Yes I know I am sorry my post was ambigious  I just meant Both the  Crusader & Phantom employed earlier V seats.  Not the same seat.  I believe the 7 seats are different too  F7 for Crusader and H7 for Phantom.....seat pan & canopy breakers If memory serves?!?!

Back to my original idea  I will use the accurate and very nice Hypersonic 5 seats for the Phantom

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/martin-baker-mk-h5-ejection-seats

Steve 

Mine arrived today from Scalehobbyist.  I think it’s strange that the kit only comes with the fin cap with the forward AN/APR-30 antenna.  The kit includes both slotted and unslotted stabs, and alternate undernose fairings, but only one fin cap, which limits the options.  Fortunately Flying Leathernecks has brought out alternate fin caps, but it’s strange that Tamiya didn’t include an alternate in the box.

Looking at the parts, it seems they will be doing a C/D next.  Almost all of the Navy specific parts or -B specific parts are on sprues that can be replaced it their entirety, or on smaller sub sprues that can be deleted or swapped out.  One of the telling items is the seat cushions.  The back cushion has the USAF O2 bottle (that gets cut off for this kit), and there are two different bottom cushions, one with the hole for viewing the O2 gauge under the seat for the Navy seats, and another cushion without the hole for the USAF seats.  Also, the clear sprue has the USAF style landing lights for the nose gear door.

Edited by Dave Williams
9 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Looking at the parts, it seems they will be doing a C/D next. 

That would save me some serious wing chopping. :hmmm:

The Tamiya kit offers two options for the intake at the base of the leading edge of the vertical stabilator. I had a web page explanation and illustration saved, but can't find it on my away-from-home laptop. Which model had which intake?

Gene K

Stab Intake.jpg

Edited by GeneK
2 hours ago, GeneK said:

That would save me some serious wing chopping. :hmmm:

The Tamiya kit offers two options for the intake at the base of the leading edge of the vertical stabilator. I had a web page explanation and illustration saved, but can't find it on my away-from-home laptop. Which model had which intake?

Gene K

This?

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/01/f4hf-4-phantom-ram-air-inlet-mysteries.html

Basically, the B/C/D/N had the intake with just the vertical splitter in front.  The E/F/G/J/S had a horizontal splitter added to the sides of the vertical splitter.

Edited by Dave Williams

A (first) kit is on the way from HK to me so soon I'll have the opportunity to investigate. Of course I have several sets planned for the kit and I need to check the fit of my existing parts to the kit.

Stand by...

J

6 hours ago, GeneK said:

From the link provided and going over various photos, my guesstimate would be the early style without the extra horizontal splitter was for the J79-GE-8 powered airframes.

DISREGARD late built RF-4E's rubbish my theory.  😕

Edited by Craig Baldwin
16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I think it’s strange that the kit only comes with the fin cap with the forward AN/APR-30 antenna.  The kit includes both slotted and unslotted stabs, and alternate undernose fairings, but only one fin cap, which limits the options.  Fortunately Flying Leathernecks has brought out alternate fin caps, but it’s strange that Tamiya didn’t include an alternate in the box.

Agreed. It's rather limiting as the markings I want to do have the early cap. 

If anyone has an Academy kit lying around, could they try test fitting the early cap from that? I have a couple of those spare.

Cheers

Jon

17 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Mine arrived today from Scalehobbyist.  I think it’s strange that the kit only comes with the fin cap with the forward AN/APR-30 antenna.  The kit includes both slotted and unslotted stabs, and alternate undernose fairings, but only one fin cap, which limits the options.  Fortunately Flying Leathernecks has brought out alternate fin caps, but it’s strange that Tamiya didn’t include an alternate in the box.

Looking at the parts, it seems they will be doing a C/D next.  Almost all of the Navy specific parts or -B specific parts are on sprues that can be replaced it their entirety, or on smaller sub sprues that can be deleted or swapped out.  One of the telling items is the seat cushions.  The back cushion has the USAF O2 bottle (that gets cut off for this kit), and there are two different bottom cushions, one with the hole for viewing the O2 gauge under the seat for the Navy seats, and another cushion without the hole for the USAF seats.  Also, the clear sprue has the USAF style landing lights for the nose gear door.

Best news I have heard all day.

11 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Basically, the B/C/D/N had the intake with just the vertical splitter in front.  The E/F/G/J/S had a horizontal splitter added to the sides of the vertical splitter.

Thanks, Dave!  Tommy Thomason is a modeling treasure.

Would be interesting to see the Tamiya roadmap for future versions ... but that'll never happen, right? :hmmm:

[quote=eraucubsfan]  I am a lucky guy in many ways [/quote]

I'll say! :naughty:

Gene K

Edited by GeneK

Wow, talk about a big day for me with respect to FedEx and UPS!  I got my 1/48 Tamiya F-4B from Scalehobbyist, and, from the 48ers, the Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 SMT, which no one has had in stock forever!  These, plus the Eduard BigEd set for the 1/48 Hasegawa F-22, plus the ResKit MiG-29 Exhaust set, and a bunch of Mr. Color paints and other misc stuff.  Christmas in July at my house today!

So, now, 2 kits left to get, at least for the moment, to get what I've been anxious for...the new 1/48 GWH Su-27 single seater, and the forthcoming 1/48 Tamiya F-14A with posable slats and flaps.  THEN...we wait for the 1/48 Tamiya P-38J/L, and HOPE that kit materializes someday soon! 🙂

Edited by Curt B

A friend of mine was in Tokyo yesterday and went to the Tamiya store to pick a couple up. The kit doesn’t get released in Japan until 7/10. Retail price there is $75 US.  Hopefully he will get back there in August. It’s not like I don’t have plenty of kits to work on in the meantime. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:51 PM, Bo105flyer said:

I picked up a factory sealed one at a model show today for $100 even.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs

Wait You didn't buy a raffle ticket....😁 I had to next day that F-4 kit so we could raffle it off. We did okay and made $115.00 for the club...whats your schedule for Saturday the 10th, be great if you can make the meeting ....