Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

12 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

What raffle and meeting? I knew nothing of this. 

Covington La. we Northshore Scale Modelers had our contest on the 26th of June, I overnighted A  F-4B and we did a raffle. We meet 2nd Saturday of the month at the Michael's in Covington from 10am til noon.

6 hours ago, viper730 said:

Covington La. we Northshore Scale Modelers had our contest on the 26th of June, I overnighted A  F-4B and we did a raffle. We meet 2nd Saturday of the month at the Michael's in Covington from 10am til noon.

Yea I wont make that meeting. Im in South Texas

May have already been asked....but can a F-4N can be built from the Tamiya kit?  I know the N parts are in the Academy F-4B kit....I just haven't pulled the plastic wrap off my new Tamiya F-4B on the shelf to take a look myself?

Cheers

Collin

17 minutes ago, Collin said:

May have already been asked....but can a F-4N can be built from the Tamiya kit?  I know the N parts are in the Academy F-4B kit....I just haven't pulled the plastic wrap off my new Tamiya F-4B on the shelf to take a look myself?

Cheers

Collin

Not from what you get in the box.  It doesn’t have the N specific parts like the long DECM fairings on the sides of the intakes.  Also doesn’t have any cockpit changes, if there are any.

44 minutes ago, Collin said:

Cheers

Collin

Collin

Are those parts in all the Academy F-4B kits? I have the first kit Academy released. Was about to cut a deal with a local builder. If it has the N parts then I need to hold on to it for a while longer.

16 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

Collin

Are those parts in all the Academy F-4B kits? I have the first kit Academy released. Was about to cut a deal with a local builder. If it has the N parts then I need to hold on to it for a while longer.

If nothing else, this site is an excellent source for instruction scans and sprue shots. The intake ECM canoes should be on K-sprue, which is included in the Academy F-4B kit. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10202439/70/9

58 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

Collin

The B has all the parts needed for an N 

Academy F-4B parts breakdown analysis - Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums 

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Cheers

Collin

Early 'N's did not have the intake fairings, so you make those. Like this one:

es48096c.jpg

Jon

On 7/6/2021 at 6:06 PM, viper730 said:

Wait You didn't buy a raffle ticket....😁 I had to next day that F-4 kit so we could raffle it off. We did okay and made $115.00 for the club...whats your schedule for Saturday the 10th, be great if you can make the meeting ....

No Raffle ticket, did not even buy any (I did donate I think 3 kits to the raffle) as I was to busy selling kits & talking to other vendors. Glad the club did well on the raffle ticket sale.  No, I will not be at the meeting as I will be out of town.  Hope to make one in the future thou.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

Note that the ALQ-126 fairings in the Academy kit are well short (and not accurately shaped). I noticed because I used parts of the fairings to make the DIAS ECM fairings for the Hellenic Air Force set. I combined Zoukei Mura's forward fairings (from the S kit) with the aft fairings from Academy's B. Academy's fairings on their own would have been quite a bit too short...

J

On 7/9/2021 at 6:00 PM, JeffreyK said:

Note that the ALQ-126 fairings in the Academy kit are well short (and not accurately shaped). I noticed because I used parts of the fairings to make the DIAS ECM fairings for the Hellenic Air Force set. I combined Zoukei Mura's forward fairings (from the S kit) with the aft fairings from Academy's B. Academy's fairings on their own would have been quite a bit too short...

J

Jeffrey, I’d like to purchase a set of your MDD 370 gallon wing tanks for my Phantom. Which of the three pylon variations offers up the best fit for the new Tamiya kit?

Edited by RichB63
13 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Jeffrey, I’d like to purchase a set of your MDD 370 gallon wing tanks for my Phantom. Which of the three pylon variations offers up the best fit for the new Tamiya kit?

The one for Tamiya of course which I'm designing now :) The tanks themselves were revised as well and are now cast offsite ensuring a steadier supply (they were a bear to cast and the moulds didn't last long with my method). Hence they've been unavailable for a while...

Please wait until ca. the end of the month.

Jeffrey

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

The one for Tamiya of course which I'm designing now 🙂

Hi, Jeffrey.

I think I saw somewhere that you were looking into what could be done about part B2 so that something other than attaching the centerline tank could be done.

Would you consider something that allows us to have the hatches around that attachment point closed?

It's all very lovely what Tamiya gave us with parts A1, A10, B1, B2, B3 and B4, but I think that these are closed when the engines aren't running. I'll definitely build at least one in a "engines running" configuration, but I'd also like one without pilots in it, canopies open and the ladder down.

I'm pretty sure that for a "Phantom at rest" I can cut off the doors from B2 and glue them in the closed position. Maybe it's something you could look into when you're designing replacement parts for B2?

Cheers, Stefan.

1 hour ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi, Jeffrey.

I think I saw somewhere that you were looking into what could be done about part B2 so that something other than attaching the centerline tank could be done.

Would you consider something that allows us to have the hatches around that attachment point closed?

It's all very lovely what Tamiya gave us with parts A1, A10, B1, B2, B3 and B4, but I think that these are closed when the engines aren't running. I'll definitely build at least one in a "engines running" configuration, but I'd also like one without pilots in it, canopies open and the ladder down.

I'm pretty sure that for a "Phantom at rest" I can cut off the doors from B2 and glue them in the closed position. Maybe it's something you could look into when you're designing replacement parts for B2?

Cheers, Stefan.

I think the aux doors were almost always (manually) locked in the open position with those red ram locks also used on the landing gear before the engines were turned off. Dangerous job I've read as the doors would violently snap closed once hydraulic power went down...

Currently, I'm re-desigining my C/L pylon to fit onto the existing Tamiya part (with a very slight modification). Further items further down the line 🙂

I do wonder though it in future boxings Tamiya my include different parts for this...

J

1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

I think the aux doors were almost always (manually) locked in the open position with those red ram locks also used on the landing gear before the engines were turned off. Dangerous job I've read as the doors would violently snap closed once hydraulic power went down...

Currently, I'm re-desigining my C/L pylon to fit onto the existing Tamiya part (with a very slight modification). Further items further down the line 🙂

I do wonder though it in future boxings Tamiya my include different parts for this...

J

Thanks for the info, Jeffrey.

Good that I haven't started cutting up my part B2 yet.😄

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi, Bernie.

Good to hear from you!

So weird to think that the 2019 show in Antwerp was the last one for a couple of years.

If they have one in 2022 and I'm still around, I'll be there.

I've glued these doors shut on a couple of Academy kits. :whistle:

Cheers, Stefan.

• 4 months later...

Overall, the new Tamiya kit has been well served by the aftermarket sector. But one thing we haven’t seen yet (at least to my knowledge) is additional chin pod options, like the early IRST and the later Shoehorn Mod-3 variations.

Arguably, such modifications are well within the capabilities of many, perhaps most, modelers. But then the same thing could be said about the alternative vertical fin caps we’ve seen from at least three different suppliers. And apparently these are being seized upon by Phantom builders.

Qk3Tvsc.jpg

xWFAWzy.jpg

Edited by RichB63