Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

I'm shopping for a 1/48 F-4D. I had the ZM one, but sold it a few months ago. At that time, I vaguely remember reading that with the Tamiya F-4B, F-4D can't be too far out. But now can't remember if that was wishful thinking on my part or if there actually was some discussion / insider info about it. 

If their F-16 track record is any indication, it makes no sense to get our hopes too high for a Tamiya F-4D, but still wanted to ask: Get ZM now, or wait for Tamiya? 

Edited by Janissary

When the Tamiya F-4B was released, someone noticed the kit contained parts (lights maybe) that would be used on a C/D. It was never confirmed for sure that Tamiya will release a C/D, but the parts break down of the kit would make it a logical next release. If anything, the consensus around the internet is that you can't ever guess what Tamiya will do so they may never release an F-4C

I think it comes down to how soon you wish to build the kit. If you wish to build a F-4C in the next few years, buy the ZM kit. There are some questions regarding the shape of the rear end (I have never been able to see it myself) and the fit isn't perfect but it's still a phenomenal looking kit. Also, this kit actually exists, where as Tamiya may never release an F-4C/D

On the other hand, if you are happy to wait and take the chance, IF Tamiya release an F-4C it will no doubt be "the best kit ever". Personally I am holding out for Tamiya to release an F-4C/D.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, Alternative 4 said:

When the Tamiya F-4B was released, someone noticed the kit contained parts (lights maybe) that would be used on a C/D. It was never confirmed for sure that Tamiya will release a C/D, but the parts break down of the kit would make it a logical next release. If anything, the consensus around the internet is that you can't ever guess what Tamiya will do so they may never release an F-4C

I think it comes down to how soon you wish to build the kit. If you wish to build a F-4C in the next few years, buy the ZM kit. There are some questions regarding the shape of the rear end (I have never been able to see it myself) and the fit isn't perfect but it's still a phenomenal looking kit. Also, this kit actually exists, where as Tamiya may never release an F-4C/D

On the other hand, if you are happy to wait and take the chance, IF Tamiya release an F-4C it will no doubt be "the best kit ever". Personally I am holding out for Tamiya to release an F-4C/D.

22 hours ago, Geoff M said:

There is no law that says you can only build one F-4D.  Build a ZM now and if Tamiya releases a F-4D, BONUS, you can build that one too! 

Geoff M

Thank you, I appreciate it. 

• 3 months later...

If anybody out there is unhappy with their ZM Phantoms, please contact me. I’ll happily take them off your hands. In my paws Tamiya is better but just. I guess I’m just a ZM “aft fuselage denier”. I still cant figure all that hoopla out.

7 hours ago, BillS said:

If anybody out there is unhappy with their ZM Phantoms, please contact me. I’ll happily take them off your hands. In my paws Tamiya is better but just. I guess I’m just a ZM “aft fuselage denier”. I still cant figure all that hoopla out.

Found this to explain the issue with the ZM:

The aft fuselage thing is a mistake but not the death knell for this superb model. I seriously doubt most modelers would have figured this out on their own. It’s an inane topic considering all the flaws in all of the models we build.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:51 PM, BillS said:

I guess I’m just a ZM “aft fuselage denier”. I still cant figure all that hoopla out.

I'm with you, Bill. However, there's no denying there is a slight difference between the model and whatever references are cited in the various "Flaw Chronicles". I love the ZM Phantom series, both the flaw and after-flaw-fixed versions.

But still, hat's off to the brilliant folks who discovered the flaw, as well as those who fixed it. 

Gene K

Yea the flaw is so small it took literally a hundred pages scattered over 4 websites to point out where it is. I think the best way to see it is to buy  a later release Zm kit and compare it to the original

Then you will have the perfect guide to fix it which will take about 5 minutes with a rat tail file and some sand paper.

Few discussions around a kit have over hyped a molehill into such an Everest size problem.

As discussed ad nauseum Tamiya and certainty cannot be used in the same sentence.

TA molded the F16 to easily be a two seater which EVERYONE expected to follow, never to be seen.

How about a slatted wing F-4E in 32nd 26 years later we are still waiting.

Given the stunning quality in every ZM kit with dropped slats, flaps, a stunning cockpit that is far more detailed than the pedestrian Tamiya one and i have no problem with Tamiya never releasing another F-4.

Cant wait to get my hands on the F-4G in a few days.

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

Pure speculation but maybe the molds are being reworked for the next Phantom II version to be released?  😉

Geoff M

I doubt they’ll do any reworking of the molds.  The kit is already set up for a C/D at least.  They would have taken any other versions they planned into account when they made the molds in the first place.

Remember to make a C/D Phantom they (TAMIYA) needs to mold a thick wing. I sincerely hope that they will pursue those derivatives.

What is obvious is that a F-4N is TBA. 

Let’s hope that we get the C,D,& N.

PLEASE MR.TAMIYA.

Take care,

Mr.Happy

10 hours ago, B2Blain said:

Can you make an F-4N from the Tamiya F-4B? I have parts from the Academy kit - one main difference is the antennas on the intakes. Anything else that glaring?

Thanks!

Additionally, some changes to fin cap antenna and rear instrument panel as shown here.

Edited by RichB63

Maybe they're using the same marketing scheme that McDonalds uses for the McRib. Sell it for a while, then take it away to build up demand, then bring it back "for a limited time only." Of course, the flaw in my analogy is with the McRib, it's gone long enough for people to forget how bad it is.... 🤢

Ben