Tamiya 1/48th F-4B Phantom II (item#61121)

61121_top.jpg

F-4Bs were the first Phantom II aircraft to see active service; powered by twin jet engines, they could carry significant ordnance and were used by the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps through the Vietnam War. Here is a triumphant entrance into the extensive 1/48 Aircraft Series for the Phantom II with this model.
*Images show prototype with panel lines accented.
*Transparent canopy parts are partly painted. 

3 hours ago, DanW said:

Wrong "B". Should be F-14B.

Well, getting a B from the D kit isn't all that hard. 

1 hour ago, a4s4eva said:

Hope we get some air to ground ordnance 

Well, I'll definitely have that covered!

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm betting that the decal options in the box will be VF-84 and VF-111.

Why not? It will help selling even more. Since there is really no shortage in good F-4B decals I really do not care about the decal sheet. Mine might become a VF-161 bird...also very main stream! 😉

cheers

Uwe

Points of note so far, based on these pictures, from my (slightly biased) point of view:

- very promising shape wise (but you don't expect anything else from Tamiya these days), great capture of the lateral bulge in the canopy, at the centre part

- Mk. H7 seats in the cockpit (correct only for post 1970...)

- canopy inner details (nice!), but doesn't seem to have the full insert on the front canopy

- seems to show (not 100% sure) slotted stabilators. Perhaps unslotted options in the box?

Very much looking forward to this, although the price tag is high it has to be said. More than the F-14 and more than Zoukei Mura's line of kits...

J

1 hour ago, anj4de said:

Why not? It will help selling even more. Since there is really no shortage in good F-4B decals I really do not care about the decal sheet. Mine might become a VF-161 bird...also very main stream! 😉

cheers

Uwe

Actually, we could use some good early VF-84 F-4B decals in 1/48. I had to piece together decals from 3 different manufacturers to get close. Hopefully, Caracal will be releasing some good stuff for this kit.

Ben