Photographing scale models

This has been a project I’ve been wanting to do for some time now. This is for those who struggle with photographing their models and want to get better results. This is a tutorial of a process that I’ve used for years and hopefully it can help others. 

https://anadventureinawesome.com/2021/01/24/photographing-scale-models/    

Stay safe and keep busy!
Steven 

Nice write-up.  I notice you make a DSLR vs P&S vs mobile comparison/argument.  While I am a devout DSLR user/owner (and also own several P&S cameras) the digital photography world is changing and the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are evidently the future.  Since your article is focused (no pun intended) on someone either new or unfamiliar with photography basics it seems they would benefit from also knowing about how mirrorless bodies fit into the equation.

Not a criticism, just a suggestion.

Just what the doctor ordered; thanks for the tutorial!  The DLSR is gathering dust as I couldn't tame it --I keep getting lost -- all those settings to keep track of (wonder how I'd fare in a cockpit with 300 knobs)   I look at pros' photos and compare them to mine and I'm just wondering how they can come up with such breathtaking pictures using the same camera.   I do have just the kit lens though but the prices of real ones are just incredible.   

Kaibutsu, RichardL and crackerjazz

Your welcome guys :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, habu2 said:

Nice write-up.  I notice you make a DSLR vs P&S vs mobile comparison/argument.  While I am a devout DSLR user/owner (and also own several P&S cameras) the digital photography world is changing and the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are evidently the future.  Since your article is focused (no pun intended) on someone either new or unfamiliar with photography basics it seems they would benefit from also knowing about how mirrorless bodies fit into the equation.

Not a criticism, just a suggestion.

Great suggestion Habu2. I didn’t add Mirrorless DSLR due to my limited experience to them. But the process of photographing scale models with them shouldn’t be any different from using a DSLR.

Stay safe, keep busy and thanks again,

Steven :wave:

If I can, here’s a suggested clarification for your article. 

DSLRs ( and film SLRs) are Single Lens Reflex cameras and have a pentaprism viewfinder and a mirror that allows the photographer to actually look through the lens when composing a photo. The mirror reflects  (“reflexes”) light coming through the lens up through the pentaprism to the viewfinder eyepiece. When the shutter release is pressed the mirror moves out of the way to allow the light to reach the film (sensor) plane. 

Mirrorless cameras are commonly abbreviated as MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) and have no pentaprism or mirror (hence the name). Instead they have electronic viewfinders (EVF) that are digital displays of what the digital sensor is seeing - you’re not actually looking through the lens like with a DSLR.   Technically, all point&shoot cameras (and mobile phone cameras) are also mirrorless - but without the interchangeable lens feature. 

And you are right, none of this changes the process of taking a photograph. I’m just really interested in understanding How Things Work. 👁️

I hope this doesn’t sound like a silly semantics rant or criticism.  You have a lot of good and accurate info in your article.  Just hoping to add to the accurate part of it. :thumbsup:

Edited by habu2