Opinions on Mission Models paints

Went through my paints (Testors MM, Humbrol enamels) over the holidays and I've decided i need to update them as a lot have gone off. 

I am currently looking to change over to acrylics for the health and family satisfaction benifits (not smelly) and Mission Models paints are one option (Ammo by mig being another). 

I have heard a few opinions on Mission, but would like anyone's first hand experiences. Any feedback would be most appreciated. 

Cheers!

I am in the same boat as you.  I was a Model Master user for decades but the writing was on the wall.  They were going away and it was time to find something new.  With Model Master I never thought about durability.  You could mask over it and that was that.  But acrylics seemed the way to go.  I visited Mission Models website and they seemed decent with a wide range of colors.  My biggest fear based on my past dabbling with acrylics is they don't hold up to handling and masking and they clog your airbrush.  Mission Model has this urethane additive that was supposed to make them more durable.  I stocked up on the usual colors and gave them a try.   Now I am not super accurate when it comes to mixing things and so it could be me but the urethane didn't make any difference.  I am not able to mask over these paints.  At the same time I have tried some Vallejo Air paints.  Same results, they can't be masked over.  I have bought a couple different retarders (vallejo and tamiya) and that has resolved the clogging problem.  Now I have not tried the primers they sell yet.  They might help the adhesion.  I have come to realize that I have to change the way I paint with acrylic paints and avoid masking as much as possible.  Colorwise I am happy.  They both offer a wide range of colors and the local hobbyshop carries both brands in every color imaginable.  So there is a learning curve for me.  Your results may vary.  I still have a good supply of Model Master paints to use as base colors and I can mask those and paint with the acrylics.  I really like Vallejo matte clear coat.  Very smooth and very flat.

Geoff M

Thanks for the reply Geoff. I have head a few people say similar things. I was just looking at AK 3rd gen acrylics too which seem to be much better when it comes to masking etc, but they don't seem to do aircraft colours as of yet...

I have sampled Ammo by Mig, which seems to work fine as long as you prime before painting... BUT they brush terribly. Tend to fisheye and bunch up like they're on oil over future at least. I think this is due to them being already thinned in the bottle. I would prefer them not to be so I can choose how I use them rather than being decided for me. I guess the search continues... 

I use both Mission Models (MMP) and Vallejo (although I prefer Ammo Mig and AK interactive over Vallejo).  First off, you need to use primer under these paints.  If you spray them on plastic parts as the come straight out of the box, they will likely be pulled up by masking.  That’s one of the downsides of these types of acrylics.  For primers, I use the MMP primers or Badger Stynylrez.  Vallejo isn’t as tough as either and still likely to lift up in my experience.  I’ve had good experiences with the MMP colors (except for their RLM81, which is badly off IMHO).  They do need to be thoroughly mixed, and it takes a long time to shake it enough for it to be fully mixed.  You need to follow their instructions and I only use their thinner.  I also use their poly mix, which makes a smooth finish, but I’m not aware that it does anything for adhesion.  The poly mix is the only bad experience I’ve had in that after a year or so, it will harden up inside of the bottle and become useless.  Until that happens, it works fine.  One advantage of MMP is that it dries a lot faster than Vallejo (I think Vallejo recommends 24 hours drying before masking).

There is a very helpful FAQ here.

https://www.missionmodelsus.com/pages/tips-and-tricks-faq

Interesting. Thanks Dave. I have heard similar things about the Poly mix going off very quickly in the bottle (within 6 months). I am starting to lean towards Ammo for the less difficult use. Cheers all.

I’m currently building and trying both Vallejo and Mission Model paints right now and agree the plastic needs to be primed beforehand. I used MMP over a wildcat primed with Tamiya and it went down well and stuck. I recently used it on a Hase F-16 that wasn’t primed in all spots and the paint lifted up with ease. Gloss coats, decals, and a wash were a nightmare. I also had a bottle of the MMP thinner go bad, which I thought odd.

I use Vallejo’s primer on miniatures and small pieces and it’s good stuff, just can’t sand it though! 

Cheers for that fulcrum1. I am really torn about the switch to Acrylics. I have only tried Mission and Ammo with varying results so far. Ammo doesn't seem to brush paint very well, probably due to them already being thinned for airbrush. Short of giving up and going to Lacquers... I don't know. I might persist for a bit and end up with a range of types and brands based on properties I guess.

For airbrushing, I would go with Tamiya and Mr. Hobby Aqueous acrylics.  They stick pretty well to bare plastic and don't tend to tip dry.  For brush painting, Vallejo Model Color and AK 3rd generation acrylics would be the way to go.  MM Acryl is a good option also, but that line has been discontinued.  I'm using mostly acrylics myself and haven't had much issues.

You have less of a health concern if you thin them with Tamiya X-20A or Gunze Aqueous thinner since those are just IPA based.  The paint pigments are acrylic.  Still need to wear a mask to protect from airborne paint particles, but don't need an organic vapor respirator.

Tamiya X-20A is about half water and the other half is made up of a proprietary alcohol blend.  You can make a home brew thinner that's potentially safer and performs better than X-20A by following the recipe in this video:  Acrylic Home Brew Thinners

66% distilled water + 33% IPA + 1 ml flow improver + 2 ml acrylic retarder

7 hours ago, RichardL said:

Tamiya X-20A is about half water and the other half is made up of a proprietary alcohol blend.  You can make a home brew thinner that's potentially safer and performs better than X-20A by following the recipe in this video:  Acrylic Home Brew Thinners

66% distilled water + 33% IPA + 1 ml flow improver + 2 ml acrylic retarder

X-20A is made of

Water CAS 7732-18-5 55.0 %

1-Propanol CAS 71-23-8 15.0 %

Butan-2-ol CAS 78-92-2 20.0 %

Butanol. 3-methoxy-3-methyl- CAS 56539-66-3 10.0 %

2-Propanol Cas No. 67-63-0 - Isopropyl alcohol

X-20A is very similar to IPA. Its a isomer of 1-Propanol.

An article that might or might not mean anything to you regarding the two compounds.

What Is The Difference Between Propan-1-ol and Propan-2-ol? (chemicals.co.uk)

Regarding Mission Model Paints, I have many.  I love their colors.  They spray fine...but honestly, my biggest complaint is that they intentionally are supposed to be sprayed thicker than a typical lacquer paint, which I find less than ideal, when I'm trying to do smaller detail work.  I don't have enough experience to be able to answer the points made about masking and durability.

I really like Mission Models Paints, however I also had a bottle of Mission Models thinner go bad. It would create tiny particles in the paint. I have no idea of the cause.
The label says it contains 2-Butoxy Ethanol. The MSDS says: "2-Butoxyethanol (CAS No. 111-76-2) ----10.00-15.00% Ethylene glycol (CAS 107-21-1) ------ Less than 1% The remainder of the formulation is composed of non-hazardous ingredients."
It's not clear to me why this product should have a short-ish shelf life once opened. My Tamiya thinner doesn't 'go off.'
Cheers

Bill 
https://www.eduard.com/out/media/gunze/MMA-002-003 - Mission Models Thinner SDS (EN).pdf

I gradually replaced almost all of my colors with Mission Models. I love the selection, color accuracy, and that I can spray or brush paint equally well. Also it needs to be said that the packaging is a huge plus. No screw tops that get stuck, ability to precisely measure paint by the drop for good, consistent results and I have found them to be quite durable and resistant to scratching or lifting under tape. I havent tried the metalizers yet, but if they are anywhere near as good as the rest of the lineup, I would be fine replacing my smelly alclad laquers and go 100% acrylic.

I had a bottle of the poly go bad. Bought another and have kept it in the fridge without issue so far. I also had a bottle of their thinner go bad. Same as Bill above, it dissolved the paint into tiny particles and horribly gunked up my airbrush. Bought some new thinner and no issue so far. I'm going to pull out a test kit for it and play around more with their primers and metals. 

I recently bought a Pace spray booth and will start using lacquers again. The finish with Mr. Hobby and Tamiya are hard to beat.  

For what its worth, my workbench is in my basement, in which I run a dehumidifier 24/7, and the workspace, although next to a window (ventilation folks!) does not receive any direct sunlight. So no UV exposure and very consistent temp/humidity. I wonder if that has any affect...

20210205_152342.jpg

Edited by godfrey1775
  • 2 years later...

I usually use Tamiya and Vallejo paints but decided to give Mission Models paint a try since they were on sale at my hobby shop.

Mission Model paint SUCK hard, coverage is awful and the ratio is tricky to achieve. I used vallejo thinner and it goes  down smooth but you need 3 to 5 coats on the piece you paint for coverage, I have tried without thinner and it dries in a matter of seconds on the airbrush. i have reached out to Mission paints and they stand by their paints and said "millions of modelers use it and love it" ....so why is it on sale at my store then. The paints i bought are going to the trash. DONT BUY THEM.

Oliver

I have to agree Rotorman. I'm not very skilled at model building, but I tried some of their paints and found the coverage lacking, and then when working with a part after washing my hands that were a tiny bit damp, the paint started coming off on my fingers.  I then found that I could just wipe it off with a damp paper towel.  I cleaned it off, used Tamiya paints, and everything was fine.

Hmm that's too bad those Mission Model paints didn't work out for you guys. I've heard such mixed things about them. Sometimes it seems to depend on the specific colors or batches too. What types of projects do you usually like to work on? I've been playing around with miniatures lately, trying out different techniques. It's always a learning process figuring out which brands and methods work best for each application.